Author Topic: Audio Research SP8 tubes advice  (Read 11164 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Audio Research SP8 tubes advice
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:13:18 PM »
I own a SP8 and just replaced my existing tubes with Gold Lion 12ax7's. They are much noisier than my older ei tubes. Does anyone have recommendations of what tube would work well in this preamp? (Note: I don't want to spend $200 per tube, the Gold Lions were $40-44 per tube and I will spend a little more if need be to get quiet tubes).Thanks All.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Audio Research SP8 tubes advice
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »
Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a good sounding and inexpensive tube. It requires a good break in period before it opens up, so don't judge it too early.  It is made in the same factory as your Gold Lions, so there's no guarantee that it will be any quieter.

At some sellers like tubedepot, you can pay them a couple extra bucks to screen extra quiet samples for you.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100176.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99686.0
http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm  Give Jim a call and ask him what's up with the Genelex and what's better. He doesn't rec the Gold Lion 12ax7 for phono or low noise apps. He can screen out very low noise sovtek LPS, it is his fav tube for his Citation builds.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
Richdo, I ordered the sovteks they call them black label. I also ordered black label tung sol as well.
Thanks for the advice I'll let you know how they work out.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
Thanks Jim, curious how you like them.

AcidJazz

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »
FWIW I tried the black TS in my CAT pre (line stage)and found them a bit on the 'fuzzy' side...compared to the regular TS reissue(cryoed). 'Fuzzy' as in softer leading edges, and overall dark/distant sound, way too polite for my taste.
I had bought the pair used, with about 160 hours on them according to the seller.
I really like the regular reissue TS/cryoed version. Detailed, tight bass (even slightly on the lean side), and inner dimension to write home about. The non-cryoed pair I heard(was in the pre when I got it) was a bit on the hot side for me.
YMWV

I use an LPS pair in my phono stage.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:33:28 PM by AcidJazz »

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
Thanks Jim, curious how you like them.

Well, TubeDepot called and Said they did not recommend the tubes I specified. They recommended TungSol. So I said I would go with thier recommendation only if they guarantee satisfaction. They said I can return them for full refund if I don't like them so they are due to arrive this week.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »
That's smart! Martin likes them so they gotta be good.  :thumb:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »
I had the LPS 's in my Hovland pre and I liked them very much, I swapped them out with Tele's and to be honest I liked the LPS's better. The Tele's were a tad more refined a little more layered, but the LPs 's have this swing and sway, this prat that just made it much more fun to listen to music.
The Telefunkens were a bit more audiophile compared to  the dirtier LPS's, the LPS's just had a bit more punch and liveliness, it worked well in the Hovland.

then Karl's preamp came in the room and game was over big time for the Hovland, pretty much game over for everyone's preamp.

But that is another story............
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
Sovteks always have that phat ballsy thing, but not always the most refined treble, but they say the LPS takes a good long while to break in.

then Karl's preamp came in the room

the 26 pre?

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
the 26, the 6sn7, the 101d, choke loaded, or transformer coupled..game over no matter what the name or the price tag

next is his phono pre....I can't wait for that (LCR) :drool:

we who know him consider ourselves very fortunate
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 08:57:48 PM »
C'mon Mike, you missed quite a few... 71A, 437A, et cetera...

Remember quality of the design & build is more important than the quality of parts!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 01:32:43 AM »
I was speaking of the preamps he actually built, sure there are plenty of other great tubes to use.

and yes circuit is everything, look what happens when you venture past a cap coupled 6dj8 tube pre built on circuit boards(which seems to be them all)

and I am sorry we missed the 417 and the 6c45pi tube, both great tube designs when utilized correctly

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 05:54:41 AM »
Well the Tungsols worked! They sound good. But that means now i can become a tube roller and see what give me different sound characteristics.  :drool:

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:35:19 AM »
Well the Tungsols worked! They sound good. But that means now i can become a tube roller and see what give me different sound characteristics.  :drool:

Hooked in another one.   8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables