Author Topic: Help Fine Tuning The Room  (Read 13470 times)

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Help Fine Tuning The Room
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 04:14:51 AM »
I can't say I know what it was like before, but it sure looks good now. :thumb:

It was just bare concrete walls and open duct works with colorful kids rubber mats/pads as floor.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 04:15:16 AM »
Wow... the basement has really been transformed since the time I was there!

Nice job!  :thumb:

It really is transformed from what it was.

I'm jealous.

WOW...Looking good D.....a really nice change !!!  :beer:

Thanks Chris.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 07:39:39 AM »
As someone who has been through a major basement transformation, I appreciate the amount of work you put into getting this right.  There is a lot of non-hands-on time that goes into something that nice.  Take a step back and pat yourself on the back... and enjoy it.  Congratulations!
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
I think for the next couple of weeks I am just going to enjoy and catch up on listening to music again.  Will start tweaking after that  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
I think for the next couple of weeks I am just going to enjoy and catch up on listening to music again. 

And isn't that what this is all about in the first place?

When I look back over my years in this hobby I have to say that some of my happiest times were the years right after my boys were born when I didn't have any money to put into the system so I didn't even think about any tweaks or upgrades and just sat back and listened to what I had. No nervosa, just musical enjoyment.

(And then some "friends" introduced me to this place and Audiogon and the rest was history.  :roll:  :rofl:)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

AcidJazz

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
I think for the next couple of weeks I am just going to enjoy and catch up on listening to music again.  Will start tweaking after that  :thumb:

Perfect idea.
Its a 'new' space, may be prudent to get familiar with the sound before embarking on tweaks.
Looks great, hope I can make it in Oct.
 :thumb:

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
I know that I get into that damned "critical listening" mode when I am in the midst of a tweak or a DIY project. That's where I don;t listen to the music itself, I listen to the highs, the lows, the soundstageing, the details, etc. Rarely does this result in fun listening.

It's only when I am mostly satisfied with the sound after the tweak, and have proven that it is indeed better and not just different, that I am able to relax and truly "listen" again for enjoyment. You are right to sit back and forget about anything else for a while. You;ve earned the break.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
Anyone in the NY area want to help me tune the setup.  I have no clue on what the hell I am doing with REW.

Here are some graphs with GR-Research V2 behind a acoustically transparent 2.35 screen.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
The 34 and 80 nodes are room related. Compare them to the scans you made with the line arrays. Move the speakers around to see if one or both nodes can be improved before treatment. Use Realtraps' roomcalc application to compare the room dimensions with the expected node frequencies, might help you understand what is causing them, which sometimes helps curing them. The 34Hz bump may need to be EQ'ed, but the 80 should improve with strategic absorption. It will be easy to notch the 34 since you have active bass amp.
http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/circuits/opamp_notch_filter/opamp_notch_filter.php