Author Topic: Dubbing video  (Read 5947 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Dubbing video
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:10:24 PM »
I have a show recorded on my DirecTivo DVR that I wish to dub to my DVD recorder using composite video, which is the only output on this old DVR. In the past, I have made dubs to this recorder and they come out shitty, even at the highest quality setting it's not nearly as good as the original.   It is a Panasonic DMR-ES15.

I have the signal from DVR switched through the receiver, then on to TV which looks good.  Could the receiver's video record output have lower quality than the TV out? Is their usually a video buffer stage, or just a pass through? It is an Onkyo 605 Rx.

Can I use my coaxial audio RCA interconnects for video? They are coax, shielded JPS SC3. I think I already tried using Blue Jeans Belden 1505 coax cables which should have been OK, but wasn't noticeably better than the junk wires I was using.

I'll have to check whether there is a monitor output on the recorder that would allow me to connect the Tivo directly to the recorder, then on to receiver for monitoring.

Thanks for any insight and advice.

This is a show called "Men of the Tall Ships." It is about Operation Sail, a regatta of tall ships from all over the world who came to Newport, RI in 1976 to celebrate the bicentennial. My father, uncle and I took our boat down Narragansett Bay to watch their parade, a rehearsal for the parade they would do on July 4th in NY harbor a week later. I'd like to send him this on DVD but it really needs to be good quality video to see the ships in all their glory. It would be nice to have good quality dubs for other shows too.
Thanks!
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Dubbing video
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:50:18 AM »
For $30 you could save yourself the hassle.. no commercials either..
http://store.documentarychannel.com/Men-of-the-Tall-Ships-p/1079.htm

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
Good idea!! Thanks Carl

I would still like to be able to record other shows to DVD.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:50:09 AM »
Why can't you go directly from output to input, rather than through the receiver and TV?
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:01:25 AM »
I can, and I will,  but it would be nice to see what I am recording so I know when the show is over or pause recording for commercials, etc.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:16:52 AM »
RTFM!

I can connect the TV to the recorder for monitoring.  Now I gotta try to find a way to rig it so I don't have to swap cables to record.  The DVD recorder doesn't stay on all the time to allow video pass through, nor does it have 2 inputs for DVR and Wii.

Now make the switch and see if it looks better...

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »
As far as cables go audio cables will work, but remember that they have been optimized for low bandwidth  (20 - 20KHz) transmission, so they may not give you the best results for video. If you have one laying around I would try a digital cable, which was designed to handle a signal with a bandwidth requirement much closer to that of video.

Also now that everything is moving to HD video cables can be had for a song on places like ebay and Amazon. Although composite video cables are harder to find people are dumping stock on component video cable sets and I am sure you can just buy a component set and just use one of the cables for composite video. For example you can get a 4 ft Monster Ultra 1000 component video set on Amazon right now for only $12.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-ULT-V1000-CV-4-Component/dp/B00006RVNW/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1311258236&sr=1-5

Back when I was still using component and composite video outs I bought a number of the better Monster video cables and I can say that they did make an appreciable difference, especially with respect to dot crawl.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables