Author Topic: Cleaning Vinyl Records  (Read 37217 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Cleaning Vinyl Records
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
Sounds good Charles. I'm a little timid about the heat, but probably just like people are timid about the lysol. Records are pretty tough.

I finally stopped by the local camera store looking for the wetting agent Kodak Photo Flo, they didn't have it. So I'll order from bhphoto.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
Brewed up a gallon of Greeg Weaver's record cleaning fluid this morning.
http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize041998.htm

1/2 teaspoon Kodak Photo-Flo
Lysol Household cleaner 3 oz.
91% Isopropyl Alcohol 16oz.
Distilled water 109 oz.

So far I have only cleaned one record, the guinea pig, just to make sure it would not melt plastic on contact. My daughter's "Tina the Ballerina." She did ask coyly, "Will this break it?" I said "No dear, I got the recipe from the internet, so don't worry." "Oh, OK..." She loves to help me clean records.

We scrubbed and vacced 2x, then rinsed 2x. On the TT she said it does sound better, no more big pops. But there is still a lot of low level ticks. This recipe is for regular duty normal cleaning. The article advises to brew up a double strength batch for really dirty records. The recipe for this is not clear, but I think it just reduces the distilled water down to 16 oz, with all other ingredients remaining the same. Use this recipe at your own risk, this interpretation is my own and not specifically that of Greg Weaver.

I'll grab another pint of alcohol to try that recipe and report back. Now to try the regular mix on some normal, less abused records. Tina the Ballerina was my wife's record when she was a little girl.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:08:46 AM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 09:08:25 AM »
Another question for you guys...

On some of my older records, I occasionally hear a distorted sound like a kazoo. It happens on high intensity signals, like trumpet especially, or sax, etc. If the trumpet is on the left, the kazoo sound comes from the right speaker. It is the same note as the instrument, but it is a distortion. Cleaning it doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

I heard it on my original Maynard Ferguson Stratospheric LP which I have played since age 10 with much abuse, so I thought it might be groove damage. Then I bought a nicer used copy of that same record and it sounded EXACTLY the same in the same places. So that makes me wonder if it is groove damage common to all records, bad mastering, or is it my cartridge that can't tracks the intense signals? I can record a sample of it if you don't know what I'm talking about, but I have heard it many times before and it happens on many of my records, especially jazz trumpet stuff, especially early Lee Morgan crackling clean edgy sound. But I do have some trumpet records which don't do it, but they are mellower like Kenny Dorham.

Thanks
Rich

Offline richidoo

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 09:29:01 AM »
I tried cleaning a record that has been notoriously difficult to clean. It is Miles Davis Porgy and Bess. I once left it on the platter while I sanded the ceiling above it. The dust sat on it for a couple weeks before I probably just "rinsed it off" in the sink. Then the joint compound rehardened deep in the grooves.

I have been able to remove the visible dirt in previous attempt to clean it before using Mikes RCM. His fluid took away more of the noise, but there was still distortion in the trumpet sound where the signal is most intense.  

I applied the new cleaner, let it sit on the record for 30 seconds, then ran the platter and brushed it for about a dozen laps and vacuumed. There are still ticks on the background, but the grit in his trumpet tone is mostly all gone.  :thumb:

The noise floor seems much lower now too, except for the ticks. The space sounds dark and deep like a CD and subtle spatial and tonal details are much better than before. Spit in his horn, bell off mic, reed detail, reverb tails, etc.

EDIT: The other side is worse, so I think that must be the dusted side. It improved but not completely clean yet. Something stronger is needed still.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:37:43 AM by richidoo »

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 01:12:08 AM »
I have been back to listening to Vinyl for a few months. I do not have a RCM so I came up with my own method to clean records until I get a RCM.

I made my own cleaning fluid, (3 cups Distilled water, 1 cup 91% Isoprophyl Alcohol and one cap full of Kodak Photo Flo 200).

I use my old TT to spin the vinyl at 45 RPMs. I spray the solution all over the record (beforer turning it on) then use a older type Discwasher brush. (the new ones, avoid). I dry the record with a micro fiber towel by lightly holding in on the record asnd sometimes wipe the record. I then lay the record down on it's sleever ane let it air dry.

This  method is not perfect yet It does work for me at this time.

Liz

Offline richidoo

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »
I realized yesterday that I used Mr. Clean, not Lysol in my fluid recipe. Mr. Clean does not have the special germ dissolving ingredient that's always been in all lysol products. I don't know how I could have screwed that up because I already knew about the chemical and Lysol when I went to buy it, but somehow decades of Mr. Clean TV commercials made me buy it like a zombie.  Mr Clean's active ingredient is sodium hydroxide, alkaline detergent. There are some records that my fluid has not cleaned, so I hope the germ dissolving power of Lysol will improve those. But I have to wash a lot of toilets before I finish up the Mr Clean first...

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »
But I have to wash a lot of toilets before I finish up the Mr Clean first...

Then you best stop wasting your time flapping your gums on the interwebs and get down on your knees and start scrubbing boy!

Or, wait for Irene to just blow it away - one problem solved.

Seriously though, good look to the folks in NC this coming weekend, and to the rest of us along the Atlantic coast.

Just saw a projection that Irene might go right up the bay, that would put her on my front step.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
Thanks Gene, I'll get right on it..

I think the triangle area will be OK, maybe windy and rainy, but not hurricane strength winds. The NC coast will see hurricane winds. I hope she turns out to sea to spare you guys who are more in the path.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 12:25:24 PM »
I picked up a KAB EV1 a couple of weeks ago, and it is amazingly more effective than even a vigorous soap and water scrubbing.  I had been mixing a bit of dish detergent in warm water, and scrubbing with a large toothbrush, rinsing, and then rinsing with de-ionized water.  I have even used steam to try to remove ticks and pops.  With the EV1, I spray on Phoenix cleaning solution (better than the provided stuff). Next I use a cut down (to stiffen) bristle paint brush and brush back and forth for two rotations, wipe with a microfiber towel, spray on distilled, use the provided brush, flip and vacuum.  The results are much superior to hand washing. 
The KAB ev1 is a plastic box, a ring roller bearing, a vacuum hose, a brush, a bottle of solution, and a sort of plastic/neoprene record clamp- not much for your money, except great results. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »
http://kabusa.com/ev1.htm

Thanks S Clark, that does look good, especially for the money. I have a super strong vacuum Miele cleaner that would work well with the EV1. I want to be able to press down on the record while cleaning it, will it tip over while scrubbing?  Did you get the optional bearing that kab sells for it?

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 06:40:04 PM »
Mine came with a ring with 40-50 roller bearing in it that the bottom platform sits on.  It works well enough, that I can't see a need for anything better. 

Scott
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
What do you guys think about carbon fiber brushes?  I think the bristles are stiffer and longer twss than hair or nylon brushes.

Somehow I ran across this brush from DAK.
http://www.dak.com/reviews/3306story.cfm
which looks the same as this
http://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Carbon-Fiber-Record-Brush/dp/B001A9ST2G

Two thin carbon brushes with a pad between. What about a brush with all carbon bristles for wet scrubbing? Can it be used wet for scrubbing? Is carbon fiber waterproof?

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »
What do you guys think about carbon fiber brushes?  I think the bristles are stiffer and longer twss than hair or nylon brushes.

Somehow I ran across this brush from DAK.
http://www.dak.com/reviews/3306story.cfm
which looks the same as this
http://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Carbon-Fiber-Record-Brush/dp/B001A9ST2G

Two thin carbon brushes with a pad between. What about a brush with all carbon bristles for wet scrubbing? Can it be used wet for scrubbing? Is carbon fiber waterproof?

My Audioquest carbon fiber brush would not work for scrubbing a record. It's too soft and pliable. I use it for cleaning dust and debris off an already clean record. Not sure if it's waterproof.

evan1

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
I actually have this at my parents house for over 20 years.Have to pick it up. The Zerostat gun actually goes for about 100 bucks alone right now.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »
Thanks Putz. I wonder how stiff it has to be. Maybe just getting down into the bottom of the groove is good enough if using a good fluid. I read someone said wet would ruin the bristles, but I don't see how unless they are soluble.

Evan, that looks way-retro!! The guy that sold me my TT gave me some D4 and brush too. Good for dusting, right?