4 (12.9%)
AMP(s)
5 (16.1%)
More than One of the Above
21 (67.7%)
No Tubes Used in System
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: System - Tubes  (Read 10200 times)

Bigfish8

System - Tubes
« on: December 24, 2009, 05:53:22 AM »
Guys:

I began my journey into this hobby with an all Solid State System and now have tubes in the Source and in the Preamp.  I am interested to see the response to this poll to get a perspective on what percent of responders utilize tubes in their systems.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
Re: System - Tubes
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 06:08:19 AM »
Ken
I just submitted my poll response, but curious on which tube source you have.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
1 system has tube preamp and direct drive tube amps.  The other system has tube pre, tube buffered DAC, and SS amps.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 06:31:56 AM »
  Nothing but tubes. Tubed CDP, Preamp/Phono, SET Mono Blocks . Started with a AR 6B Preamp and Bryston 4B amp then Classe DR25. Then a AR 250 Mk2 Servo [ 32 tubes], Classic 60
  Last and staying put are the SET mono blocks. For me after SS then push pull triode I have found my preference in SET amps. Next up if the lottery comes along OTL Joule Electra Rite of Passage.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Deton Nation

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 06:34:21 AM »
Tubes are like golden magical trinkets to me... So much so I have a big drawer full. ;)
Mike

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 06:36:53 AM »
Ken

Henry

Hi Henry:

I have a ModWright Modded Transporter running an Emission Labs 5U4G Rectifier and 6SN7 Signal Tubes.  Mapletree 2A-SE Preamp with Sylvania Brown Base 6X5gt and Tung Sol 6SN7 Round Plates.

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »
Ken

Henry

Hi Henry:

I have a ModWright Modded Transporter running an Emission Labs 5U4G Rectifier and 6SN7 Signal Tubes.  Mapletree 2A-SE Preamp with Sylvania Brown Base 6X5gt and Tung Sol 6SN7 Round Plates.

Ken

Oooooooooh just got that warm and cozy feeling reading that.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »
Tube outputs (6H30-DR) on my squeezebox, all tube preamp using National Union 6F8G round plate and direct coupled 6AH4 cathode followers, the 6F8G is an earlier version of a 6SN7. Amps are currently either Consonance Cyber 845 SET or McIntosh MC275 using Lundahl transformer for phase splitting. Also have a 100WPC OTL that doubles as a great space heater. ;) Oh yeah, phono stage is tubes as well. There is also an Aronov tube amp sitting in my shop waiting for me to do something with it.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
Tube outputs (6H30-DR) on my squeezebox, all tube preamp using National Union 6F8G round plate and direct coupled 6AH4 cathode followers, the 6F8G is an earlier version of a 6SN7. Amps are currently either Consonance Cyber 845 SET or McIntosh MC275 using Lundahl transformer for phase splitting. Also have a 100WPC OTL that doubles as a great space heater. ;) Oh yeah, phono stage is tubes as well. There is also an Aronov tube amp sitting in my shop waiting for me to do something with it.

That Aronov is one hell of an amp IMO. Still remember the sound with Maggie 3As and matching preamp. Glorious. I was ready to pull the trigger at Hi Fi exchange when two gals bought it from under my nose.  Your covered quite well my friend.

charles

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 09:27:19 AM »
I saw a guy at the deli counter today with a 2" tall tattoo of a lightbulb behind his ear.   :-k  Got me thinking about my devotion and commitment to tubes. I wondered, "If I get a triode symbol tattooed on my forehead would I someday regret not getting a MOSFET tattoo instead?" It ebbs and flows for me, love and hate. But after 5 years I'm still with tubes because they do well most of the things that are important to me.

ltr317

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 09:37:02 AM »
I saw a guy at the deli counter today with a 2" tall tattoo of a lightbulb behind his ear.   :-k  Got me thinking about my devotion and commitment to tubes. I wondered, "If I get a triode symbol tattooed on my forehead would I someday regret not getting a MOSFET tattoo instead?" It ebbs and flows for me, love and hate. But after 5 years I'm still with tubes because they do well most of the things that are important to me.

Rich,

You could have one system of each, or a hybrid!   :)

Paul
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:41:51 AM by ltr317 »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 10:07:57 AM »
 :duh   Now you tell me!!

Thanks Paul!  :D

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
  That Aronov is one hell of an amp IMO. Still remember the sound with Maggie 3As and matching preamp. Glorious. I was ready to pull the trigger at Hi Fi exchange when two gals bought it from under my nose.  Your covered quite well my friend.

How's this for embarrassing, I've never even put it in the system. It was given to me a few months ago for helping a friend and while I tested it on the bench to determine it's health I have not moved it into the music room. Perhaps I'll have to give it a listen. There are some very hefty transformers in there. :)

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »
Thanks Ken.
I have two Mullards M8080 in my CJ Preamp, 4 6922 input and 8 KT88 output in the Music Reference Amp. Love the glow and the sound. Considering a tube front end to replace my Wadia. Anyone have the Prima Luna Prologue Eight tube CD player? If so please Pm me with your thoughts.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Bigfish8

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »
Thanks Ken.
I have two Mullards M8080 in my CJ Preamp, 4 6922 input and 8 KT88 output in the Music Reference Amp. Love the glow and the sound. Considering a tube front end to replace my Wadia. Anyone have the Prima Luna Prologue Eight tube CD player? If so please Pm me with your thoughts.

Henry

Henry:

Have you heard or considered one of these:  http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1266278690&/Raysonic-CD-168-cd-player-free  Steve (Stereofool) has one and several us of heard it at one of Richidoo's G2G's.  This is one fine CDP.

Merry Christmas!

Ken