Author Topic: OutPut Tube Help  (Read 4232 times)

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
OutPut Tube Help
« on: January 21, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »
This is my first post. For some time now,  have been meaning to say how much I have enjoyed the comments, suggestions and feedback of the various topics. Now I need your help with my power tube replacement recommendation. I figured this time I would give my friend Rich ,the guru, a break from all my other questions.
Currently, I have been using EL34 power tubes (8) in my RM-9 mk11 Music Reference amp. I have enjoyed this amp coming from a Mark Levinson 27.5 amp. Two nights ago, two of the tubes being to glow like a furnace. I immediately turned the amp off and removed the two tubes. One was a RAM Lab tube and the other a JJ tube. I only had one spare tube left. The amp does play with one tube missing.
I am now wanting to go with either the KT88 or 6550 tubes. A good friend advised the Gold Lion KT88 or Sovtec KT88 would be a good choice. Anyone had problems with these? Which would you say is more reliable and give the midrange "magic" without being too soft is the bass? Last, which tube retailer is good to deal with.
Thanks for all your help

Henry

System

Wadia 850 CD player
Conrad Johnson PV15 tube preamp
Music Reference Mk ll Power amp 125 wpc
Spendors speakers 8Se
JPS SC
DH Lab IC
Billy Bag custom stand

"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Re: OutPut Tube Help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:01:43 PM »
Hi Henry,

Are the amp's tubes interchangable with KT88's or 6550's? I'm not familiar with this amp but wouldn't want you to just go sticking a KT88 or 6550 into an amp that might only take EL34/6CA7/KT77.
 Personally I think your making a big mistake running the amp minus one of its output tubes and I would not do that.Could be very dangerous. Just curious as to who told you it was ok to do?
 Concerned for your safety,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »
Hi Bill

Thanks much for the concern. My RM-9 amp is one that was built by the famed Roger Modjeski. It was built in 1986 and built to last. Unlike a lot of tube amps out there, you can play it with one or more tubes out and it will not cause a problem. This is from Roger himself. Roger says there will be some distortion when playing without all the tubes. But, honestly, I could not hear any difference at normal listening levels. He is known for his exacting standards and build quality of amps and pre-amps for many years. He is also a great guy to deal with. His matched tubes are exacting as well but more pricey.
The tubes are interchangeable with EL34, KT88 and 6550.  Tube biasing is very easy to do. A very user friendly amp.

Henry

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »
Hi Henry,

After our phone conversation, here is the link to these beautiful looking tubes, I think you couldn't go wrong with these and I believe Grant is offering a 30% discount of purchase if you voice your opinion of these new tubes in a forum or two, they're trying to get the word out about them.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Shuguang+Treasure+KT88-Z

Bill

Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
Those look cool!  8)

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
Bill,

Very tempting as they are gorgeous. However, I will need 4 pairs (8 tubes). At 1200+ shipping less 30%, I will have to wait a while before taking the plunge.

Henry