Author Topic: Tube Dealers  (Read 15704 times)

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Re: Tube Dealers
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
Rich,
 Picked it up from my buddy in Arizona, 2002 C5 28,500 miles,ceramic headers,custom stainless steel exhaust, custom wheels, air induction aftermarket, all for 20K. I had it shipped up so not to put on any miles. Of course I ripped out that Bose system,dyna-matted the inside, dropped in about 3.5K into the audio system.
 Every time I turn the key it puts a big smile on my face. A bit impractical for a over-weight 60 year old as it is my driver but I grew up with a lot of muscle cars in my youth, they weren't mine but my best man at my wedding owned some of the finest cars ever produced for sheer speed. This deal came along as Frank was one of my audio customers  and we have visited a few times over the years and I consider him one of my best friends.I just picked up the vanity plate TUBES. LOL
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:21:15 AM by Bill O'Connell »
Bill O'Connell,
Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline mlee

• Seeking Help
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
If you are in the New York City area, I got my start through Paul Mah - personal and reliable service and reasonable prices - dealing primarily in signal and driver tubes.

Offline Russian_Glass

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 06:37:11 AM »
"Don't worry, once Chinese pirates realize the world needs more 6H30-DR they will fill the demand. I wish I was joking - but even odds that it will sound as good as the original Russian. They are getting very good now, I mean legit Chinese tube mfgs, not the pirates who just relabel junk tubes." - Rich
It depends on the distributor.  The Chinese ARE getting better about manufacture, but their shipping and quality-control is sub-standard, leaving it to companies like PSVane and Grant Fidelity to sort out the best ones. (Even then, they still can't match the quality of pre-Perestroika Russian manufacture.

For Russian tubes, Denys Andreievich and Anton Zverev are the only tube vendors I can consistently recommend. I DO have some small quantities of good NOS/tested Russian tubes here in the states I part with from time to time, (but don't bother asking about DR's - I have switched to 6N6π's and never looked back myself).

Offline steve

• Reference components
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
The new Telefunken E88cc/6922, from JJ, is absolutely world class, unbelievably quiet, and what I use in my
test phono stage. I would not use any other tube in my phono. It is touchy to design around compared to other tubes,
so beware.

http://store.t-funk.com/p/e88cc-tk-6922-vacuum-tube?pp=24

I have not tried any of the other Telefunken types being manufactured, they are expensive. If they got the distortion down as they have the small signal types, they could be really really nice.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:39:12 PM by steve »
Pre/Amp/ICs are the only components that can be tested for accuracy/naturalness.

Steve Sammet (retired)

SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Preamplifier
SAS Audio 25 W Triode Amp
Test Speakers 20-20khz
SAS Audio ICs
12 parallel 18 gauge wires

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »
The new Telefunken E88cc/6922, from JJ, is absolutely world class, unbelievably quiet, and what I use in my
test phono stage. I would not use any other tube in my phono. It is touchy to design around compared to other tubes,
so not necessarily for every one.

I have not tried any of the other Telefunken types being manufactured, they are expensive. If they got the distortion down as they have the small signal types, they could be really really nice.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
Had you offered a phono stage before when your business was active or is this a new venture nowadays?
Nick
McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp
SP Tech 2.1 speakers
Antelope Audio Gold dac
Auralic Aries Mini - Tidal
Roon Labs (upsampling to 24/192
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline steve

• Reference components
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »
so not necessarily for every one.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
Had you offered a phono stage before when your business was active or is this a new venture nowadays?
Nick

I never offered, thought there was not alot of demand. It is something I have tinkered around with since before the company's beginnings. It has some 36db gain, within 0,5% tolerance capacitors using my Tektronix cap meter, adjustable 3180us time constant. So it is not really high gain, but the Acutex 320 STR cartridge works really great. I would like to up the gain a little more though, sometime.

Cheers

Steve
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:02:15 PM by steve »
Pre/Amp/ICs are the only components that can be tested for accuracy/naturalness.

Steve Sammet (retired)

SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Preamplifier
SAS Audio 25 W Triode Amp
Test Speakers 20-20khz
SAS Audio ICs
12 parallel 18 gauge wires