Author Topic: In need of a DC filter to calm my UberBUSS  (Read 9865 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: In need of a DC filter to calm my UberBUSS
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »
I picked up my Emotiva today at the PO.  Over the next couple of days I'll be taking it apart, analyzing it looking for tweaks, take some pictures and then report back.  I'll need to unbalance a line to test it.  Some fun, eh!?   

It'll be great if it works as well as I hope

:thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 05:07:27 PM »
Dave, looking forward to your insight regarding the Emotiva.   While it definitely has cut down on my Uber-buzz, it is still there at times... just to a far lesser extent. 

EXCEPT... I did find  a set of outside flood lights that, when on, definitely makes the Uber buzz a good bit more.  The circuit controls two pair of outside CFL floods.  Interestingly, whatever this circuit is doing is not at all mitigated by the Emotiva nor the DigiBuss.  No idea why it is making the Uber buzz more than usual, but it's easy enough to turn off (these lights are actually rarely used). I have a feeling it is related to the CFL bulbs so I hope to swap them soon to see if that makes a difference. 

Strange thing this electricity stuff...

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »
I would almost bet your hum is transformer related. My guess it would be on the transformer(s) on the utilities power pole. With the increased demand for power in summer, the increased load on the supply transformer could cause an internal imbalance and resulting harmonics. I have heard transformers up on poles humming away under heavy load. If the transformers are compromised,  you can bet they are passing the harmonics down the line.  :(
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »
I would almost bet your hum is transformer related. My guess it would be on the transformer(s) on the utilities power pole. With the increased demand for power in summer, the increased load on the supply transformer could cause an internal imbalance and resulting harmonics. I have heard transformers up on poles humming away under heavy load. If the transformers are compromised,  you can bet they are passing the harmonics down the line.  :(
+1
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe