Author Topic: Vinyl to Digital  (Read 11838 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Vinyl to Digital
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:54:14 AM »
I agree with Mr. Wolf.  I have found that sometimes the cd version isn't recorded or mastered as well... some even advertise they are 'digitally remastered' which is required if you make a cd instead of a record... results vary widely.

Best example I have is Parliament's Mothership Connection... I have it on vinyl and cd.. the vinyl sounds way better than the cd... the CD loses the 'togetherness' of the musicians in favor of articulated separation... It was a choice someone made... unfortunately it was someone who understood 'digital' and didn't understand 'music'. ;)

Anyway... just saying at least listen before you buy...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

Vinyl to Digital
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »
kind of hard to listen first since they are in Seattle and me in France! Don't care. it's the music I want. Don't get me started with the TT thing PLEASE! :cry:

lonewolfny42

Vinyl to Digital
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 01:14:56 AM »
Speaking of TT's.....on a radio news show they had mentioned Lp to Digital. They tried this.....Link...

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Vinyl to Digital
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:14:38 AM »
I moved these few posts to start a discussion of the best ways to convert LP's to digital...

Anyone have other suggestions like the AT link from LW?

-C

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Vinyl to Digital
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 05:01:25 AM »
I saw this Pure Vinyl at RMAF this year. They had it running on a 21 flat screen monitor do the record looked almost real spinning there on the screen. It was very cool, seemed like a handy way to go. He and his wife were very nice, and he is very smart, coded this thing himself from scratch. Mac only... :(

I have done a lot of LP ripping using home studio type amateur recording equipment and midfi TT. It is fun and usually comes out great. Still sounds like vinyl, the good and bad of it. My problem is getting the records clean. Never tried commercial enzyme cleaners, just soap and water in the sink, but it doesn't remove anything except maybe the big chucks. Once ripped, you have to edit before finalizing and dithering down to redbook. I use an old copy of SoundForge 3 for the ripping and editing, but it only does 16 bit, which is good enough for me and my dirty records. Editing allows you to remove pops, fix skips and whatever. When naming the tracks, use numbers in the titles to preserve song order, or make a playlist in a txt editor. You will hate listening to your tunes in alphabetical order.  :lol:

Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Vinyl to Digital
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:24:41 AM »
I have a nitty gritty machine and Disk Doctor solution... I'd love it if we could set up an assembly line and just clean the heck out of all our records at once... That super-cleaning lasts about a year...

-C

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Vinyl to Digital
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:43:13 AM »
I've got a VPI 16.5 that I could add to the mix...that way you could do LP's twice as fast. Just let me know if you guys want to do that, some weekend.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Vinyl to Digital
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:21:31 AM »
Love to! I'll buy the chems.

I have an Aardvark DirectPro 2496, it is external box with PCI card computer connection, you're welcome to borrow it for ripping as I never use it anymore. I have input adapters so RCA ICs will work.

My previous record rips were done with old cheap AT cartridge and technics phono pre,  so I want to redo a bunch of them with my new Shure cartridge and tube phono pre after cleaning.