Author Topic: Hi Fi tuning Fuses  (Read 8028 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Hi Fi tuning Fuses
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:30 PM »

All of this is for tewaks with too much time on our hands and don't care what the "scientists" have to say.

My answer to the scientists that say we are imagining the differences because they can't measure them is that perhaps they are just measuring the wrong things.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
  In my experience the best solution sound wise was removal of fuse. However taking a chance. so in the beginning it was ceramic fuses wrapped with silicone tape. polished and cleaned ends. Better.
Then came along exotic fuses. Hi Fi tuning first offering was not my cup of tea [warm ]. The hardest part was rationalizing $150 on a fuse.
Then I tried Audio Magic. Better than better. Wanting to try the Graphpene fuses. Again $150. Arghhhhh!!! I will eventually try them as I am a big fan of graphine as a conductor.
As of now all standard ceramic fuses with tape and polished ends using a graphene contact enhancer. IMHO as good as Hi Fi Tuning, Synergystic Blue to be tested.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »
Ok now the question.

I know the electrical values (amperage, voltage) of the fuses I am going to replace. What I don't know is if they are fast blow or slow blow.

On solid state equipment, what would it be? :shock:  Slow blow or fast blow?  :roll:

I am going to bite the cheese and try the Synergistic Blue fuses.  :-P  Do we think that is a good match for the solid state Parasound equipment I have? Yes  :D, No  :(  Maybe something behind door number two?  :duh

I will let you know how they sound with the solid state equipment.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:07:06 AM by jessearias »
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 06:56:36 AM »
Keep in mind that slow Blow and fast Blow fuses are not interchangeable. If you put a fast blow in a circuit that was designed for a slow blow it will likely blow out on some startup inrush currents. And if you go the other way around you risk damaging the equipment if the fuse does not react fast enough.

The first place I would look is on the equipment itself. The rating of the fuse is usually printed on the case right by the fuse cap and if it requires a Slow Blow it will say that. If there is not indication on the case next place I would look would be the owners manual. (If you don't have one manuals for damn near everything are available online.) If you bought the unit new you can look at the fuse that is in it they usually have the ratings engraved in the end caps. But if you bought the unit second hand there is a chance that whomever owned it before you changed the fuse and you have now way of knowing that it was replace with the proper one, so that can be risky (who knows if they blew a fuse and all they had was one with a higher rating than required and put it in on a "temporary" basis, only to forget to replace it with the proper size... wouldn't be the first time.

FYI - Fast Blow uses most commonly look like a thin piece of wire going through the case, like this:

Whereas Slow blow fuses usually have a coiled wire and sometimes some other stuff inside the cartridge like this:

or

Of course this assumes you are looking at a fuse with a glass sleeve. If you have one with a ceramic sleeve you won't be able to see a thing.

The bottom line here it that it is very important to use a fuse that matches the electrical rating that was specified in the orioginal design and it is well worth the time to research what that spec is.

I hope this helps.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 08:04:27 AM »
Fuse conundrum  :duh

OK, I am sure of the fuses in the one piece of equipment. The manufacturer states they must be slow blow. Problem solved! :drool:

On the Parasound equipment, not much help.   :(  Of course it is a ceramic fuse. The only thing I have to go by is what they spec on the case. T12A 250V  So, 12A 250V

Manufacturers literature states that if the fuse blows, call them. Wise advise, but not if your not having a problem and just want to change out the fuse.  :duh

Next step, call Parasound.

Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline uncola

• Seeking Help
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 08:57:51 PM »
the T stands for time-delay and it means slow blow..  the fast blow ones have a marking that starts with F.
I don't believe in fuses at all, but these fake AMR ceramic fuses with gold plated caps are only $3 so I do upgrade to them from stock fuses..  you can find them on ebay from vintage audio lab in taiwan
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMR-Audio-90-Silver-Alloy-Fuse-Tube-5x20mm-2A-Slow-Blow/253209889006?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
the T stands for time-delay and it means slow blow..  the fast blow ones have a marking that starts with F.
I don't believe in fuses at all, but these fake AMR ceramic fuses with gold plated caps are only $3 so I do upgrade to them from stock fuses..  you can find them on ebay from vintage audio lab in taiwan
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMR-Audio-90-Silver-Alloy-Fuse-Tube-5x20mm-2A-Slow-Blow/253209889006?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Helpful info thanks.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.