Author Topic: need suggestions on streamers  (Read 10805 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: need suggestions on streamers
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 12:07:44 PM »
My personal experience with ethernet cables is that I have a difficult time consistently hearing much of a difference much less which is better (caveat: my ears are over 65 years old and I'm sure I've lost some hearing at the upper end ;-)

But to put it in context, I can readily hear differences and improvements between power cords, speaker cables and analog interconnects.   I have a more difficult time with digital ICs and USB cables.   But ethernet cables are something else.   I have compared good cables (e.g. Supra & TWL), with Amazon el cheapos and with Blue Jeans.   Is there a build difference?  Absolutely.  But sonically, I'd never consistently pick them out of a blind lineup.   Now, I don't doubt that those with better ears do discern differences.  So while the audiophile in me has always wanted the very best I can afford, and the cost of cables such as Supra & TWL is far from unreasonable, I personally see (hear) it as a very low-priority consideration.  (and besides, trying to hear differences in cables drives me a bit nuts anyway).   I will say that I really like bluejeancable.com because they test every cable and publish the result - they've always worked well for me. 

So for me, I just don't sweat ethernet cables.  Far, far too many other things that can influence sound quality to a much greater degree (at least to these old ears).

I’m with you regarding trying to hear micro differences sometimes in cables. It’s often more trouble than it’s worth and indeed can drive me nuts as well. If I have something that performs very well, imho there isn’t much point in auditioning different cables because the change virtually always means I’ll have to spend more money and take a loss on the stuff I sell.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 02:30:35 PM »
Make sure all your Roon apps are the same and the latest version. They misbehave when not the same version.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 09:19:07 PM »
Make sure all your Roon apps are the same and the latest version. They misbehave when not the same version.

Double checked all. Version 1.4 and build 310
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »
A brief update... I played Roon last night and it was virtually problem free. I had a hiccup or two, but surprisingly Roon did not disconnect and I didn’t have to reboot Roon. I had seen a number of prompts from Apple to update the OS on my Mac desktop and I finally did. Have no idea if that helped the situation.
I still am thinking about the Eero and another streamer like the all in one Bluesound Vault 2, but maybe my dollars would be better spent on a sub for the LS 50s or even upgrading the 50s xovers....or trying a full-range speaker
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »
A brief update... I played Roon last night and it was virtually problem free. I had a hiccup or two, but surprisingly Roon did not disconnect and I didn’t have to reboot Roon. I had seen a number of prompts from Apple to update the OS on my Mac desktop and I finally did. Have no idea if that helped the situation.
I still am thinking about the Eero and another streamer like the all in one Bluesound Vault 2, but maybe my dollars would be better spent on a sub for the LS 50s or even upgrading the 50s xovers....or trying a full-range speaker
I have no problems with streaming because I don't other than yo hy office computer.  I'm all about no generations between data and playback.  In my world of everything effecting everything, data conversions just suck.

I do have to say that Comcast / Xfinity is absolutely the worst data providers I have ever had and they still owe me money.  Bastards submitted me for collection after I returned all of their gear 2 weeks into the 30 day, Money Back Guarantee because their "service" never worked.  I actually honor my Money Back Guarantee.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
  Put that little shiny disc in or load your server and leave the stream for fishing. Background music. Color me "Disc Snob"  :lol:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »
  Put that little shiny disc in or load your server and leave the stream for fishing. Background music. Color me "Disc Snob"  :lol:

charles

Well, loading a disc is sure easier than dealing with the streaming problems sometimes. But I’m trying to downsize and get rid of “stuff” like all the CDs that I have to find room for
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
I must be very lucky, within 15 minutes I was up and running and never had an issue, problem free!!
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
What do you need done that a Raspberry Pi with a quality HAT (Hardware Attached on Top) can't do?
You'll have a lot of $$ left over!!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 12:22:13 AM »
I must be very lucky, within 15 minutes I was up and running and never had an issue, problem free!!

This setup is a piece of cake compared to the Squeezebox crap I was running years ago. Back then, they had phone support, so at least I could get it to run
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 12:50:17 AM »
What do you need done that a Raspberry Pi with a quality HAT (Hardware Attached on Top) can't do?
You'll have a lot of $$ left over!!

Hmmm...Mike.....let me take a stab at this. The Raspberry Pi thingy is basically a teeny computer running Linux and I would need to attach it to a monitor and install the Linux based Rasperry Pi OS.  So I have this little gizmo and then I’d attach a teeny dac to it? IF that is correct, what would I gain by doing that other than making some money by selling my good sounding Antelope Gold dac? Or would I be able to sell my Auralic Mini streamer as well? Is there an app that allows me to use it or am I also tethered to a monitor? That’s the extent of what I know about this stuff
Nick
PS   by definition, computer = aggravation
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »

PS   by definition, computer = aggravation
[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
I was thinking that since you have a dac, the Pi would be configured with a high-quality SPDIF or USB output. I haven't run one with Roon but I think the Pis run Roon Bridge no problem. You already control with Roon so no need for a screen.

They are just so flexible and fun and easy and perform so well for the price. I am just amazed at what you can accomplish with a little effort.

Good luck - there are so many ways to do this stuff

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
I was thinking that since you have a dac, the Pi would be configured with a high-quality SPDIF or USB output. I haven't run one with Roon but I think the Pis run Roon Bridge no problem. You already control with Roon so no need for a screen.

They are just so flexible and fun and easy and perform so well for the price. I am just amazed at what you can accomplish with a little effort.

Good luck - there are so many ways to do this stuff

Well, it’s an interesting idea. As you may know, Roon’s core needs to operate on a computer, so I imagine that it could on the Pi and the Pi could sit right on my audio rack rather than the Mac desktop being in the other room. There is the issue of when the Roon core crashes, I would need to have a monitor and mouse to reboot the core. The Roon core cannot be on the iPad and also cannot be controlled or rebooted from the iPad. At least, that’s the way I understand it.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »
I think you would still have to run Core on a main computer, and Bridge on the Pi.

The Pi can also be used as an HQPlayer NAA device if you want to go that way.