Author Topic: Pianist George Li  (Read 2868 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Pianist George Li
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »
Had the pleasure of watching Li perform the Chopin No.1 Concerto last nigh with the SD symphony under David Danzmayr (conductor). Phenomenal talent. It is as if I was listening to a 50+ year old player but without the mistakes that come with age. Dynamics, control, expression. This kid has it all! Won the Tchaikovsky competition at only 20 years old!  Li has a depth of emotion that I don't typically hear in prodigies. He isn't just playing at breakneck speed without subtlety. Even his encore was a slow piece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Li
http://www.georgelipianist.com/concerts/

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Pianist George Li
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »
Glad you are enjoying those live performances. It’s fun and interesting to read your posts  regarding that. Seems I go to fewer and fewer nowadays.
If the account is true, that’s sad and disturbing about the maestro.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Re: Pianist George Li
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:15:11 PM »
Hi Nick,

Yup. I try to go to more and more live events that are near me. I'm eyeing two again now - a Chick Corea and Joey Alexander concerts in the near future. Aside from watching great performances, these often serve as sobering events for remembering what live music sounds like and what my sound system gets wrong and right.  The news about Levine was surprising , but I guess it is the same as everywhere people are put in positions of immense influence and power.

Paul