Author Topic: So many choices in digital help!!  (Read 6047 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
So many choices in digital help!!
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
I am moving away from a laptop as a music server and am interested in a streamer/bridge to replace it. I just bought a 4tb NAS and I have a Burson Conductor DAC. My budget is $2500, not that I need to spend all of it  :lol:.  I have seen so many units but the buyer must beware because if potential compatibility issues and features. I would prefer something with it's own App. Thanks in advance for recommendations.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: So many choices in digital help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »
SOtM sMS-200 is what I use, I love it. It can emulate Roon Endpoint, MPD, HQPLayer, Squeezeplayer, etc. I use it as Roon or MPD, controlled from my laptop or phone. Sound is excellent. $500. Requires a USB DAC, not SPDIF.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:50:01 AM »
Lumin D1 looks like a good fit. Its a network player with a DAC, can play Tidal, Roon, MQA and DSD which i can not do now. I can also bypass the DAC (but lose MQA and DSD features). Getting the external Linear Power Supply.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »
  Jim look at Innous Zenith mk2. I can make ya a great deal. SS drive, linear power supply, Roon, MQA, Tidal DSD etc. Read the reviews.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
If you can plug a hard drive in, you can do most of this yourself. 

I've been using a $175 fanless Win 10 machine to stream Tidal with local storage managed by Jriver. It's also my HQPlayer NAA device for highest he-man quality. It's also fun to stream YouTube vids direct to the main system. Add a USB decrapifier and you have a large percentage of the performance of a dedicated server for a tenth (fifth?) of the cost.

If you only want spdif out I can recommend a Rapsberry Pi with an Allo Digione board. Load free PiCorePlayer on it and you have a very high quality device. But it'll run you all less than $200. Take the extra 2K and spend it elsewhere to get the most bang for the buck.

-Mike

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »
If you can plug a hard drive in, you can do most of this yourself. 

I've been using a $175 fanless Win 10 machine to stream Tidal with local storage managed by Jriver. It's also my HQPlayer NAA device for highest he-man quality. It's also fun to stream YouTube vids direct to the main system. Add a USB decrapifier and you have a large percentage of the performance of a dedicated server for a tenth (fifth?) of the cost.

If you only want spdif out I can recommend a Rapsberry Pi with an Allo Digione board. Load free PiCorePlayer on it and you have a very high quality device. But it'll run you all less than $200. Take the extra 2K and spend it elsewhere to get the most bang for the buck.

-Mike

Mike, I am not a big fan of Microsoft and I don't like JRiver (nor the guy who runs J River) I do however like JPlay. But I won't get into that whole shitfest

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
Interesting how we develop our preferences. Ever since Apple decided for me that I cannot put music from two different computers onto the same Ipod, I swore them off and want absolutely nothing of their's touching my music or life. I can't make a Mac work or do even the most basic things with any Apple software  :rofl:

Best of luck. From all I read those dedicated servers do rock but you gotta pay to play.

-Mike

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »
Yea,I wont use a Mac either. I do agree that you can get great results from a music player. I am using the term generically. But any device that can be optimized for music playback. I was at a decision point, and felt that i would give the streamer a shot since i never used one before. My friends use the Mr and Ur with great results. I'll post my finding/experience once I get the device. Fingers crossed but I fully expect it to destroy my laptop

Offline dBe

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »
For me, even as I get old and compromised in acuity I rely completely upon how does it all sound to me... An incredibly picky, trained audio professional that is always searching.

I gave up on analog some years ago and sold a very nice (really...) very nice analog front end and moved to digital as my only source in 2000.  I was determined to try to understand and help solve the conundrum of "Perfect Sound Forever".  I'll never forget the look on the salesmans' face when I identified the digital recording 10/10 in the great marketing assault in the late 80's.

I've been searching for THE digital answer for a long time.  Didn't take us long in the mid/late 80s to figure out that the SQ sucked and that the discs sounded emotionless with little foot boogie on playback.

I was a PC guy for a long time.  I suffered through the crashes, blue screens of death and all of the insanity of Windows for years.  I spent 2 years trying to make a dedicated Windows based music server sound as good as my Cary 306Pro CD player.

Never happened.  I finally relented to several friends and acquaintances and bought a Mac mini.  Not just any mini. But a 2012 Quad Core I7 2.3 Ghz mini. The first time I played music through that machine and I grokked the Mac thing.  Simple: better audio engine and very low noise (RFI) layout with a great grounding scheme.

I then got a software package designed to minimize the mini and maximize the audio capabilities.  That package was/is a true digital playback epiphany. 

Now the disclaimer:  I am completely biased, unashamed and sold on the playback software offered by dB Audio Labs as being the most musical of everything I have tried. 

There are many things available to enhance the digital experience.  First, we need to get it off of the available digital medium and make it the best raw data possible.

My $0.02 derived from spending way too much money in business and life trying to just make music.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:00:17 AM »
Very good post dbe. I figure im learning all the time and the money i spend on equipment are my educational costs lol.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
I am moving away from a laptop as a music server and am interested in a streamer/bridge to replace it. I just bought a 4tb NAS and I have a Burson Conductor DAC. My budget is $2500, not that I need to spend all of it  :lol:.  I have seen so many units but the buyer must beware because if potential compatibility issues and features. I would prefer something with it's own App. Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Jim,

What is your current setup?  Do you have LMS setup already?  If not, does you NAS have the ability to run either LMS or Minimserver?  If yes, I can loan you my RPi3 setup with PiCorePlayer for you to try.  The only question would be is the Burson DAC supported under Linux via USB.  It seems to be USB Class 2 compliant interface so should work well.  The other option is i can send you the RPi3 + Kali + Piano setup.  The Piano uses PCM5122 DAC chip and the sound might be different compared to the Sabre that in you setup right now.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »

Jim,

What is your current setup?  Do you have LMS setup already?  If not, does you NAS have the ability to run either LMS or Minimserver?  If yes, I can loan you my RPi3 setup with PiCorePlayer for you to try.  The only question would be is the Burson DAC supported under Linux via USB.  It seems to be USB Class 2 compliant interface so should work well.  The other option is i can send you the RPi3 + Kali + Piano setup.  The Piano uses PCM5122 DAC chip and the sound might be different compared to the Sabre that in you setup right now.

Acronym Hell! lol! LMS??? Burson s class 2 USB. (Anemero board). I have 2 Burson Dac boards ESS and BB. I prefer the BB.
So I have a Dell laptop using JRMC USB into my Burson. I don't like JRMC but it is what it is. I have an external 2TB HDD (USB 3) into the Dell. Not sure what Kali, Minimserver, and Piano are. Have to learn this stuff.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »
Acronym Hell! lol! LMS??? Burson s class 2 USB. (Anemero board). I have 2 Burson Dac boards ESS and BB. I prefer the BB.
So I have a Dell laptop using JRMC USB into my Burson. I don't like JRMC but it is what it is. I have an external 2TB HDD (USB 3) into the Dell. Not sure what Kali, Minimserver, and Piano are. Have to learn this stuff.

Sorry Jim, for making assumption.

LMS = Logitech Media Server (Squeezebox) (Latest Download]http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9]Latest Download)
Kali = Allo Kali Reclocker
Minimserver = Minimserver is UPnP Media server
Piano = Allo Piano DAC based around PCM5122
PiCorePlayer = Squeezebox type of solution running on Raspberry Pi

If your Burson is running Amanero board you should be set for the using it with Linux, provided you are not trying to do DSD (Direct Stream Digital) higher than 128.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »
correct, I can not do dsd. My NAS is a 4tb WD. That is in addition to my external HDD. I will move music to my NAS.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »
correct, I can not do dsd. My NAS is a 4tb WD. That is in addition to my external HDD. I will move music to my NAS.

Hopefully, your NAS has the ability to install LMS - https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=11042, if not you can always install LMS on your laptop.