Author Topic: cocktail audio?  (Read 157 times)

Offline doug s.

• Certifiable
cocktail audio?
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
ok, i said i'd wasn't interested in streaming audio, but i stumbled across cocktail audio.  since the ex has ~300 of my old cd's, this seems like it might be a worthwhile endeavor to rip them to something like this.  easy one-box solution; digital outs, and also includes internet radio.  anyone ever listen to the x12 or x40?

thanks,

doug s.

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: cocktail audio?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:40:04 AM »
ok, i said i'd wasn't interested in streaming audio, but i stumbled across cocktail audio.  since the ex has ~300 of my old cd's, this seems like it might be a worthwhile endeavor to rip them to something like this.  easy one-box solution; digital outs, and also includes internet radio.  anyone ever listen to the x12 or x40?

thanks,

doug s.

Doug,
I saw a Cocktail Audio product a couple of years ago at The Show Newport. Iím sure it was the best model and it was demoed by the distributor Fred Katli who is California based. It worked flawlessly and I had some interest in it. I did try and contact Fred, but didnít get a return call. I think itís worthy of your consideration.
Also, I did a quick search before posting this response. There was a reference to a wired connection, but no reference to wireless. I didnít search for more info regarding that
Nick
McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp
SP Tech 2.1 speakers
Antelope Audio Gold dac
Auralic Aries Mini - Tidal
Roon Labs (upsampling to 24/192
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline doug s.

• Certifiable
Re: cocktail audio?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »

thanks,

doug s.

Doug,
I saw a Cocktail Audio product a couple of years ago at The Show Newport. Iím sure it was the best model and it was demoed by the distributor Fred Katli who is California based. It worked flawlessly and I had some interest in it. I did try and contact Fred, but didnít get a return call. I think itís worthy of your consideration.
Also, I did a quick search before posting this response. There was a reference to a wired connection, but no reference to wireless. I didnít search for more info regarding that
Nick
from their website - http://www.cocktailaudio.com/qna.php:

Q  :  Can I use wireless LAN?
A  :    Yes, if you want to use wireless LAN, you have to buy USB wireless dongle that our distributor supplies. Plug the USB wireless dongle into the USB host port of the cocktailAudio and setup it through SETUP menu.

the retail on their dongle is $40; you can get equivalent for <$10 elsewhere...

regarding the "best" model, i think the x40 is as good as the the x50, unless you want to use your "esoteric" dac that might be better than the ES9018K2M Sabre≥≤ Reference DAC built-into the x40.  the x50 does not have analog ins or outs, has more choices regarding its digital outs, as well as having more features and a better memory/cpu.  but sonically, i am not sure there's much difference, if any. and you can still use your own dac w/the x40.  the x12 is certainly the budget model; if it would get close to the x40/50 w/a good outboard dac, i think i'd be up for saving a few dollars...  that's why i was looking for feedback here.

thanks,

doug s.