Author Topic: REDBOOK To Upsample or not is The Question Is it Noble ?  (Read 7411 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
REDBOOK To Upsample or not is The Question Is it Noble ?
« on: July 31, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
  I say a big flat no. Leave it be. To date every resampled/upsampled piece of music I have heard sounds Hi/Fi to me. Now music recorded in DSD or Hi/Rez then upsampled is better but still no cigar IMHO.
   Chew on that awhile and respond accordingly.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: REDBOOK To Upsample or not is The Question Is it Noble ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
Are you talking about an upsampled file, or hardware upsampling of a redbook file ad part of the D/A process?

I can see no good reason for upsampling a file in the mastering process since no matter what speed you distribute the file at, it can never have more resolution that the original source.

Now if you are talking about upsampling within a DAC that is another question. If there is a switch on the DAC that enables or disables the upsampling I would simply try it both ways and stick with the one that sounds better to you. But unfortunately there are not a lot of DACs that I know of that have this feature. So if the upsampling is not defeatable it becomes just design choice made by the designer and just like all of the other design choices made (chips, op-amps caps etc.) simply becomes part of the overall sound of the DAC. Since there are so many other things that could effect the final sound it is very tough to isolate the impact of upsampling alone. By limiting yourself to only oversampling or non oversamplg DACs you run the risk of missing a DAC that even though it is outside of  your thoughts about preferred sampling, had better designs in other areas such that it sounded better that DACs using your preferred sampling philosophy.

Pre-judging equipment based on technologies can lead to a lot of missed opportunities. Hey, based on all conventional wisdom switching amps should be limited to industrial applications where sound quality is much less important than size and price.But I dare anyone who has listened to the Arions or one of Tommy's Cherry amps to say that Class D has no place in a high end system.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
I have to completely disagree, since I upgraded my front end and up sample everything to DSD156 there are rebook files that I could not listen to before ( I got spoiled listening to hi res files ) now most of them have never sounded so good, Still very badly recorded one still don’t sound that good, but better than when not up sampled.
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:58:36 AM »
Old style hardware upsampling with built in IC never did much for me. It might have sounded "smoother" but also stuffy and dead or boring. The life and edge were reduced.

But the recent advent of excellent low jitter hirez DACs and cheap and powerful music computers spawned the emergence of great software for interpolative upsampling, or "resampling."  The steppy waveform of 44.1kHz is redrawn into a smooth analog like waveform, using advanced algorithms to fill in the missing music between the input digital samples.

SoX is one resampling algorithm that I've used, it comes included with Moode Audio software for Raspberry Pi. Sounds excellent when resampling from 16/44.1kHz to 32/384kHz. Slightly soft, but most people like that. The algorithm settings are not easily adjustable in Moode.

Even better sounding is Roon upsampling DSP, running on Windows PC, outputting to SoTM network audio adapter thingy. This sounds really good, smooth and musical, but clearer than Sox with Moode settings. Upsampling settings in Rune aren't much adjustable either.

Another I want to try is HQPlayer software on the PC, which also outputs to the NAA. Supposed to be even better than Roon, much more adjustable algorithm settings. Tweakers delight.

As Mike said, these new high end resampling algorithms can interpolate 44.1kHz input to any high rez sampling speed, even DSD512, which is like 5GHz? Resample to whatever is the highest native resolution of your DAC, so you can eliminating the lesser SQ onboard upsampler in the DAC IC or separate upsampling IC before the DAC in older units.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »
Sounds like there are some recent developments that I have not kept up to date with.

It may be time to do some investigation.........

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »

Another I want to try is HQPlayer software on the PC, which also outputs to the NAA. Supposed to be even better than Roon, much more adjustable algorithm settings. Tweakers delight.

I use HQPlayer Embedded on Linux with Windows based NAA and JRiver as library manager to up sample everything to 512 DSD.  The only thing that I have to be careful about is making sure that I the appropriate filter for my HQPlayer Embedded PC, otherwise I end up with stuttering.  For now I am sticking with -2s filters.  Would like to try the xtr filters but not enough horses left in the PC. 

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
With alternatives available in DAC hardware and software it makes sense to try multiple software combinations of upsampling as well as software based filtering options such as found in HQPlayer to get the best sound out your particular mix of gear.
 It is possible that I might get a net overall gain in sound quality if I had a computer with the horse power to run HQPlayer and upsample all PCM to DSD 128 before sending on to the Auralic Vega.
 As it is, software upsampling via jRiver audibly degrades playback when compared leaving the base sample rate of the data unchanged. Allegedly DSD is handled completely differently from PCM which is upsampled by an ARM 9–based Sanctuary processor running at 500Mips and is used in the Vega to upsample PCM input data to approximately 1.5MHz and 32-bit depth. The ESS Sabre32 9018 D/A converter chip will accept data of sample rates up to 1.536MHz and 32 bit depth. DoP v1.1 protocol and DXD 24-bit/352.8kHz PCM format is used somewhere in there for DSD playback. With as much signal processing going on internally in the Vega as there is, I guess I am not very surprised that more signal processing done externally doesn't appear to offer any sonic advantages.
 I will have to try encoding the PCM data to DSD native format via jRiver and see if that sounds better or worse than leaving it unchanged.
Scotty

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »

I use HQPlayer Embedded on Linux with Windows based NAA and JRiver as library manager to up sample everything to 512 DSD.  The only thing that I have to be careful about is making sure that I the appropriate filter for my HQPlayer Embedded PC, otherwise I end up with stuttering.  For now I am sticking with -2s filters.  Would like to try the xtr filters but not enough horses left in the PC.

Oh boy do I have a lot of catching up to do. Damn, I don't think I would understood any less of Deepak's reply if it was written in ancient Babylonian.  [-(

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »
I've enjoyed the upsampling capability of Roon. I have it set at 24/192 and all my CDs are 16/44. Roon will upsample to DSD iirc, but my dac can't handle that. I would love to hear DSD in my home
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »
  OK guys you have given me reason to try , listen and make my decision. My DAC is capable of handling incoming up to double DSD. When I play upsampled on the Innuous sometimes it sounds better. Other times sounds Hi Fi. So far 24/192 from server is very good. DSD when originally recorded as such has potential.
Without sounding like an Arse 44.1 done right is hard to beat. However the "Old Horse", me will give it another try.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »
Would be interesting to hear from Dave and Pete as they are NOS guys that use a Mac mini. What is their opinion of DSD 512 and do they think upsampling has any redeeming qualities.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »
Charles, if you are going to upsample be sure to do it using evenly divisible numbers, 44.1 to 88.2 to 176.4 and 96 to 192, etc. This generally sounds better than when the numbers are odd.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 01:06:28 PM »
No upsampling for me. No matter what kind of processing, I can always hear it, and I never prefer it.
Even Roon's DSP engine takes away more than the upsampling adds, imo.
I hear it as a dulling of the harmonic complexity in high frequencies. It removes the fun part of the sound that I pay so much for high end equipment to be able to hear.
I've had the same experience with Cary upsampling CD player, Tact DSP preamp, JRiver to 192k, Roon to 384k and even DSD,  upsampling sounds similar on all of these to me. It's not the hardware, it's the math.
I just prefer the original master resolution.

SoX upsampling improved the SQ of Moode Audio on RPi, but SoX did not make up for the frustration of the Moode bugs. Volumio no upsampling was needed to sound good.

IMO there's far more to be gained by attenuating jitter from digital playback than messing with the waveform math.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 02:02:13 PM »
Would be interesting to hear from Dave and Pete as they are NOS guys that use a Mac mini. What is their opinion of DSD 512 and do they think upsampling has any redeeming qualities.
Nick

As always, it depends on the recording! But, I've found the majority of decent recordings that "No Upsampling" sounds best! It's amazing the analogue sound you can extract from decent Redbook recordings...

To me, Upsampling adds that really hi-fi'sh sound that slowly gives me digiitus!

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »
Everything that I have to say has to be put through the BS filter of a 70 year old, so YMMV.

I have several DACs of varying capabilities.  I do not have a DSD capable DAC and have no desire to buy one.  I have a ton of data almost all of which is in Redbook format.  There are so few (relatively) files available in true hi-rez that appeal to me.  I live for the music, however it is presented.  I have heard all of these high zoot systems with dacs that cost more than a car and always come away "meh".

I am a NOS guy and will be until I hear one that meets my performance/cost criteria.

There is just something about NOS done right that appeals to me and it falls into the PRAT realm.  I can't hear DC to light and hear music as primarily a midrange event.  Sure, the bottom octave or two is where a lot of meat lives, but impact is a higher harmonic order happening.  Bass guitar articulation and tunefullness lies in the 1K - 2K range along with kick drum smack.  I'll always take clean, pristine, bell like highs over what a lot of detail freaks (come on - you know who you are  :lol: ) prefer in the top octave, some of which I can still hear thankfully.  As a drummer (rock and roll concussionist) I always give a intense listen to transient impact, skin tone and harmonic series of cymbals.  If these aren't right then I'm out.  Same goes for well recorded vocals.  Breathiness, sibilants, plosives and fricatives need to sound natural, not bigger than life.  Too many of the hi-rez DACs and systems that I have heard are technicolor instead of natural.

More is nice, but better is better for me.

I'm crappy at reducing emotion down to verbage.   :?
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe