Author Topic: winter hiking  (Read 29520 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: winter hiking
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 02:15:49 AM »
we rented a house in Estes state Park for a week.
Longs Peak is on the menu! One thing you learn when hiking the high peaks is that up on top the weather can be crazy. So we are prepared for most anything, so besides food and water we carry extra clothes as well.
Outdoor clothing is like high end audio....high end ...and expensive.
But unlike audio, last years model of say the $300 jacket you wanted is always on sale for $150 the next year when the new colors come out.
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 08:15:57 AM »
  ENJOY !!!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 08:09:56 PM »
we rented a house in Estes state Park for a week.
Longs Peak is on the menu! One thing you learn when hiking the high peaks is that up on top the weather can be crazy. So we are prepared for most anything, so besides food and water we carry extra clothes as well.
Outdoor clothing is like high end audio....high end ...and expensive.
But unlike audio, last years model of say the $300 jacket you wanted is always on sale for $150 the next year when the new colors come out.

Man, outdoor clothing; NUTS!  Was at REI just this afternoon here in the City.  Oftentimes, even on sale I'd have 2nd thoughts buying 'em.  Was looking at Canada Goose coats.  Whew!!!! More money even than North Face.  When North Face first came to market, I thought it was nuts.  Now, Canada Goose.  Used to be that "Prime" Northern Goose down jackets were not that expensive.  Now, even a 90/10 will run you $400, $500.  Simple inflation, ha! :duh

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »
rei is expensive

canada goose is a fad right now

Look at Marmot, Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardwear, they all make great clothes and you will find them discounted.
Check out Backcountry.com  everyone is selling their winter clothing at discount right now.

Nothing beats down for warmth but it is expensive and does not breathe.
I use synthetic down for hiking, it breathes so much better and keeps you warm, not as warm as down but it is made for aerobic winter use, it is very easy to overheat in down. But for just hanging out nothing beats real down.
Shop around and look at the REI discount rack, you can get good bargains there if they have your size and the color you want.

I have several winter jackets for different conditions, my heaviest is an Outdoor Research parka filled with Primaloft Gold synthetic down and it is so light and comfy to wear, keeps me very warm and I could wear it comfortably inside, like you have nothing on.
I also own a Marmot Headwall jacket that is superlight, water proof, air permeable, and filled with Primaloft Alpha insulation, awesome jacket for aerobic activity in the cold, that jacket layered with some merino wool and maybe a light fleece and you could play out in the very cold with the utmost comfort.

A lot of the high end stuff tends to look pretty use specific, you won't look hip hanging out in Soho or WillyB with some of this stuff, that is where the Canada Goose comes in....but that is the flavor of the month...next year that 500 dollar jacket could be out of fashion, out in the woods there really is no fashion to maintain, skiing on the other hand is a fashion show, so be prepared to spend some money to fit in.
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »
And the other problem with real down for outdoor activities is that gets matted and it looses much of its insulating properties when it gets wet, so if you are out hiking and get caught in any kind if wet weather you can be in trouble warmth wise. Synthetic materials are much better in this respect.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »
I read about "warmth" and "color" above, but what about "tone" and "texture", are any veils lifted? ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline tmazz

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 08:01:44 AM »
I read about "warmth" and "color" above, but what about "tone" and "texture", are any veils lifted? ;)

If Mike starts removing veils I'm out of here.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 03:51:38 AM »
rei is expensive

canada goose is a fad right now

Look at Marmot, Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardwear, they all make great clothes and you will find them discounted.
Check out Backcountry.com  everyone is selling their winter clothing at discount right now.

Nothing beats down for warmth but it is expensive and does not breathe.
I use synthetic down for hiking, it breathes so much better and keeps you warm, not as warm as down but it is made for aerobic winter use, it is very easy to overheat in down. But for just hanging out nothing beats real down.
Shop around and look at the REI discount rack, you can get good bargains there if they have your size and the color you want.

I have several winter jackets for different conditions, my heaviest is an Outdoor Research parka filled with Primaloft Gold synthetic down and it is so light and comfy to wear, keeps me very warm and I could wear it comfortably inside, like you have nothing on.
I also own a Marmot Headwall jacket that is superlight, water proof, air permeable, and filled with Primaloft Alpha insulation, awesome jacket for aerobic activity in the cold, that jacket layered with some merino wool and maybe a light fleece and you could play out in the very cold with the utmost comfort.

A lot of the high end stuff tends to look pretty use specific, you won't look hip hanging out in Soho or WillyB with some of this stuff, that is where the Canada Goose comes in....but that is the flavor of the month...next year that 500 dollar jacket could be out of fashion, out in the woods there really is no fashion to maintain, skiing on the other hand is a fashion show, so be prepared to spend some money to fit in.

Of course, GOOD stuff are usually designed for functional efficiency.  When North Face first came out, people went crazy because they saw these people running around in Antarctic with NF jackets.  But.... they're very pricey (still is!).  I didn't think they were worth the money (the commercially promoted NF jackets.....).  The commercial North Face stuff are not really geared toward the antarctic venturers I guess.   Regardless, if you go to Antractica, they usually supply the heavy jackets for you to wear anyway.

The good old days.  I remember "Prime" Northern Goose Down was cheap for the best.  Now, a Canada Goose jacket for $600?  WOW!  I remember someone having been robbed for her NF jacket.  Of course, now it's more like iPhones that get robbed.  I should look into that tactic.  Even on sale, these things aren't cheap, man! :duh

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 01:45:02 PM »
I think North Face are worth it. My first North Face lasted quite long before I tossed it. Each pocket has a nice fill of goose.

Awhile back a friend was pushing these counterfeit North Face jackets from China. They came with the story they are made in the same place ..Yada Yada Yada. They were under $200 and they all fell part within a year. Sewing came part along with the zippers. They were garbage and I knew it and didn't buy.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »
I believe North Face has a  Summit series, a reference level if you may.
A lot of the other stuff has been designed for commercial sales not real adventures. You have to look higher up the chain for the good stuff.

But for hanging out it is fine. If you use this stuff to work out in the cold then the better designed stuff works great, but this stuff was designed for dealing with the elements, not for fashion.

I went hiking today, started at 18 degrees went down to 6 when we were finished, spent most of the day sweating from climbing, but on the downhills my clothes would breathe off the sweat and I remained pretty dry.
Dry and cold is one thing...wet and cold is dangerous.

I do pretty aerobic hikes, with a group of strong hikers that like to do a lot of miles, so we move fast. Without the proper gear it would be miserable, but today really wasn't so bad, even if it was cold. I made many mistakes in the past, and I learned the hard way, I learned what to wear, what to eat, what to drink, and it is amazing how fast the body can grow in strength and endurance.

My audio hobby has died and been replaced with this new hobby and I hope my body will allow me to continue this hobby for the rest of my life.

shek look up feathered friend, they make really nice down products

Offline tmazz

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
Dry and cold is one thing...wet and cold is dangerous.

You bet!

I went hiking today, started at 18 degrees went down to 6 when we were finished, spent most of the day sweating from climbing, but on the downhills my clothes would breathe off the sweat and I remained pretty dry.

As I used to tell the kids in my Boy Scout troop, there is no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing choices.  ;)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 03:51:14 AM »
Ski shops are going to start their spring sales soon to get rid of their inventory. When I needed a nice warm coat or pants I usually went there to find them. Cool colors too.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 04:19:36 PM »
So when are you going to do Everest?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 06:13:48 AM »

Mind  you, the "texture" in your hike gear is also critical!  If U take out the texture from ur hiking gear, it could prove fatal!  In audio, at the worse is ur ear gets momentarily polluted. U'll recover.  :rofl: :duh :yay2:

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »
So when are you going to do Everest?

Everest is not that kind of girl. :yay2:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube