Author Topic: GTG November 12 at Rich's  (Read 20660 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: GTG November 12 at Rich's
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 08:55:45 AM »
  Dang, love to join you guys. Have a great time. Pictures. 

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

mac5u

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
I do believe I can finally make one.   :D

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »
Glad you can make it.

One week from today...

evan1

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »
Glad you can make it.

One week from today...

Can we get pics this time ?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 06:05:16 PM »
Pictures, Yes.

I discovered something nice tonight while tweaking the system for the g2g. The mid driver and cabinets were designed for SE triode amps and the crossovers were voiced by the designer using a 300B SE. I have been running SS PP and even the 300Bs in PP mode and not entirely happy. Some freqs were clear, others muffled, some sharp, others dull. I avoided SE mode because it is less power, and even the PP mode with 24W needs some feedback to prevent slight  distortion on the peaks. Well golly gee, tonight I switched in SE and listened for a while to my favorite latin jazz radio show. The Sansui TU-717 radio has great tone quality and the speakers came to life.  The parallel SE mode with only 11W needs no feedback, and is kickin, even on symphonies. I guess the parallel tubes deliver more current than a single tube pushing or pulling so the feedback is not needed. The extra warmth of SE compliments the warmth of the horns and it just works.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:40:16 PM by richidoo »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »
Glad you can make it.

One week from today...

Can we get pics this time ?

I'll make sure that we DO  :lol:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 06:39:54 AM »
  You have experienced the Humpty Dumpty effect. Once the PP splits the signal "All the King's horses and all the King's Men couldn't put him back together again." Phase splitting.
  Once that single ended bug bites it is tough to recover.  :-P . Over the years we have assembled numerous fine sounding systems with PP amps. There is just something special about SET and horns. If you get to hear a 211 based SET [ 18W ] with say a GE 211 tubesthe warmth factor diminishes slightly with more clarity. If you use an RCA 211 ya get both in spades, oh my !
  Have fun trying different amps. I love that 300B sound, just not for bass reproduction.

charles
SMA
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »
That makes sense Charles. I always love the class A sound, whether it is SS or tubes it's easy to hear. Everything just relaxes. I just don't like too much 2nd order distortion that SE tubes usually makes. This speakers has enough already, but somehow the SE tubes cover up the annoying parts of the speaker. 3rd order distortion I love, but that's usually class A PP like Pass. I like 845s too every since I heard Mastersound's 845PPs. I'd love to hear Hugh's M845 monos.

This combination makes pretty good bass. Not as clear detail as a SS amp with 800 damping factor. But Manley winds their own iron and worked on these transformers for a long time for this neoClassic version. The trannies must be switchable SE/PP, plus sound clear, plus low impedance and dual output taps. They source about 2ohms, and the 8 ohm woofers are in series so it is pretty punchy for SET. I do like these amps for hteir adaptability, but if I get a speaker working the way I want, I'll go for a less flexible/compromised design.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 08:18:01 AM »
  Yes the Melody M845 is an interesting design and execution.
   Would like to hear them myself.

charles
SMA

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
Is everybody ready to rock and roll?  See you then!
Rich

mac5u

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 01:53:50 PM »
I may be the only one who doesn't know where you live.  Please shoot me a PM.

Also, do you need anything?  Maybe I can help out with something.  Thanks.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 02:00:52 PM »
Rich,

I'm about ready...I'll show-up with a smile and cables. OK, maybe with clothes on, too  :lol:!

What flavor of JPS's do you need?

Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

evan1

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »
Have fun guys , and remember

:pics?:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
mac5u, no need to bring anything unless you don't like pizza or want to show off your culinary skills... ;)  I pMed you with addy  Drive safely!!! I think you are the farthest traveler.

Stevo, please bring:
clothes
1 pair purple RCAs
2 PCs
vinyl soapy brush and rinse brush or whatever you use for scrubbing

Shane please bring:
2PCs for your tube amps
balanced ICs if you want to try the balanced input?
Steve's Ref 1 has balanced out, but my DAC does not yet. Maybe your new DAC does?
I have dummy resistors to keep the tubes hot if we do some comparing.

Bring some vinyl guys! We have Steve's VPI 16.0 rcm here.  and CDs too... or drives.

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody again!
Rich

Offline richidoo

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
My NAS crashed tonight. I think it is trying to rebuild itself, but I won't know until the morning.

Edit... The nas is back up now, all data safe. But one disk is dead. I like RAID. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:41:37 PM by richidoo »