Author Topic: Do We Need Linestages ????  (Read 6704 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Do We Need Linestages ????
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 11:12:46 AM »
Both of my tube preamps make my music sound more pleasant. I prefer to have a preamp over having a DAC/pre combo.

Spot on !

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline pursuitofnow

• Seeking Help
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 08:31:08 PM »
The amps I use require 2 volts and sound even better with 4-8volts. Everything from dynamics, density, and imaging are just better. So I would think it really depends on your amp to determine if linestages are "needed".
VPI Classic Signature (2M Black)
Decware ZP3-25th > ZSTAGE-25th
PS Audio DirectStream DAC
Decware ZTPRE > ZBIT > ZROCK2-25th
Decware SE84UFO3-25th
Omega Super 3 HO XRS, Deep 8
Zenwave D4, ZSTYX, TWL
PI Audio Uberbuss, Digibuss, Mongo

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 09:58:59 PM »
It has been my experience that both voltage output of > 3v is essential along with adequate drive current.

Some years ago I listened to my passive driven by a Cary 306 and also a preamp with a lot of current at the same voltage.  The pre was decisively betterin terms of PRAT.

A big part of what makes it all work are output and input impedance IME.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 08:28:58 AM »
  Agree Dave it is essential to have >3V from source and low input sensitivity of less than 1V for ultimate passive pre performance.
Doug a great preamp, a classic when working.  :-P

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 03:23:29 PM »
I am a little confused. Do you gents mean greater than 3 or 4 volts output capability, when using a passive control, or another condition? 

Probably a stupid question, but I ask because usually that kind of actual signal voltage output will have the cones parachuting to the floor.   :rofl:

Cheers

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 08:57:29 AM »
  Agree Dave it is essential to have >3V from source and low input sensitivity of less than 1V for ultimate passive pre performance.

charles

I missed your post Charles, which answers my question, and I agree.

cheers
steve
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 07:40:25 AM »
   ARGHAH !! DAC with 3V or more is what the Doctor ordered when using a passive Pre.

charles

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
   ARGHAH !! DAC with 3V or more is what the Doctor ordered when using a passive Pre.

charles

Yes, we already agreed with you. Upset?

cheers
steve
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:31 PM »
Not a fan of using a source straight into an amp. Even with a passive pre, you dont get the dynamics and impact you would with a preamp. Looses emotion in my opinion.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 08:55:56 AM »
Not a fan of using a source straight into an amp. Even with a passive pre, you dont get the dynamics and impact you would with a preamp. Looses emotion in my opinion.

Great point which I agree with. After fooling with several passive designs the active preamp is KING for me. When all the bases are covered with a passive one may get more clarity however looses the soul and emotional impact.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »

Great point which I agree with. After fooling with several passive designs the active preamp is KING for me. When all the bases are covered with a passive one may get more clarity however looses the soul and emotional impact.

charles
+1... unless the source has enough voltage and current to adequately drive the amp input at a friendly output impedance through the passive.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 07:13:33 PM »
I agree, and of course use a line stage preamp. As we all know, external passive controls that use an interconnect cable have that evil capacitance.

I did a little calculating, and with 4 volts rms musical signal, using a 100k ohm volume control,
the signal current through the pot is only 40 ua (microamps, or millionths of an amp); not much.

With 4 volt rms musical signal, 10k pot, 400 ua, or 0,4 ma (milliamp) through the pot; again not much.
10k is also about as low a resistance load as one can use with capacitive output preamplifiers as bass
response starts or is already dropping.

It is imperative to minimize capacitance in this signal path. With an input volume pot in the pre or the
amp, the capacitance is basically, Miller capacitance, with a smattering of input and stray capacitance.

cheers
steve
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 07:16:22 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage