Author Topic: Squeezebox ultimate upgrade  (Read 6046 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Squeezebox ultimate upgrade
« on: January 27, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »
I love my Bolder modded SB3, but I sure wish I had one of these to use with it:

http://www.sonos.com/products/controller/features.htm

I miss searching for something to play the old fashioned way, browsing CD covers and picking something that strikes my fancy.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

chadh

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 03:15:09 PM »
I know a lot of people would love a fancy controller for the squeezebox.  Personally, I don't really care about being able to craft playlists easily, or even to view album art.  But what I really miss is having all the album info, liner notes, contributor list, songwriting credits, lyrics etc at hand.  Even if I had a fancy controller, I don't think I'd have easy access to this type of information.

Does anyone know of a freeDB-like service that allows you to download that sort of information into a database, that can then be accessed through slimserver?  Presumably one would need a Nokia 770 or similar handheld device to use it conveniently.  But this would be a great feature for me.  Much more valuable that browsing by album-cover.

Chad

ted_b

Re: Squeezebox ultimate upgrade
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:45:14 PM »
Quote from: "mca"
I love my Bolder modded SB3, but I sure wish I had one of these to use with it:

http://www.sonos.com/products/controller/features.htm

I miss searching for something to play the old fashioned way, browsing CD covers and picking something that strikes my fancy.

Use a Nokia 770 or 800 and the Slimserver 770 skin.  There aren't any good liner notes plug-ins yet, but this is open source so stay tuned.
album art view:

now showing view:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 04:13:10 PM »
Hey Ted... Have you seen anything like that for Windows Mobile?
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 04:29:04 PM »
Use a Nokia 770 or 800 and the Slimserver 770 skin. There aren't any good liner notes plug-ins yet, but this is open source so stay tuned.

That's great! Any idea where I can get info on setting something like this up?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
Whoa!  It's like ready already!
I found this tidbit on slimdevices forum:
Assuming that the PDA is connected to your network, just point its browers at http://yourservername:9000/handheld

You might find you need to put the server IP address instead of its name.

You should also look into the Slimremote application - search the plugins forum for information, I find it much more usable than the browser interface.

Check out more PDA stuff for the SB here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31516&highlight=windows+mobile
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 10:15:26 AM »
I decided to buy a Nokia 770 to setup to use with my SB3. Now the problem is finding one! I thought I could possibly go out and buy one this weekend, but can't find any retail outlets that carry them. I know I can order direct from Nokia or from several online sites, but it would be nice to be able to buy one local!

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 05:33:09 PM »
I happened to stop by CompUSA today, turns out they are clearing everything out as they are closing all the Washington stores. I picked up the last Nokia 770 they had in stock, half price  :D

Now I get to start downloading album artwork. I did find a program called Album Art Aggregator that scans through Amazon for artwork, but you still have to do it one album at a time...