Author Topic: SB3/Classic - how the $@%& to stop updating?  (Read 9584 times)

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
SB3/Classic - how the $@%& to stop updating?
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:31:47 AM »
I had these in boxes for a few years, and have finally gotten them out ot use. It was pretty stable with older firmware when I first set them up. But it always wants to update, and then becomes glitchy and crazy buffering delays or crashes. Once the update message comes on I can't seem to abort or cancel. There HAS to be a way to stop, isn't there?

I have 2 SB3's on hardwired ethernet. What is the most stable server and player firmware version, and how do i keep it permanently there??? I havent even used them i na few months i got so tired of it, and can't recall which versions. Think I was running server 7.5.2 and maybe player version 133 ???

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: SB3/Classic - how the $@%& to stop updating?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:30:38 AM »
poke Carl, Tim... he's still got a couple of them setup in his living room and upstairs at his place, I believe... they're almost always playing when I've been over to his place.  He likely has some pretty good insight... 
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:45:40 AM »
Thanks, good idea.

Carl? .... poke, poke ...

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »
I've got a Touch, SB3 & Duet.   The players will update firmware whenever Squeezecenter updates which has been quite frequent of late.   There is a setting in Squeezecenter to turn off automatic updates.   I think it is in setup, Advanced tab but I'm not home this weekend so I can't verify that.

I think what has changed is that they now default that to on.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »
I had seen that setting mentioned in past, thought it a good idea to remember.

Then when my system kept prodding me to update from 7.5.2 I couldn't find it anywhere.

Finally I just let the server update, (using the WHS version), and have to say, no problems with it. And I'm using a Duet wifi, so any glitches would be readily apparent.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
The server has already up dated to 7.5.4, and supposedly another one is available. It keeps prompting me ... I see no toggle in the software control panel, but since it is prompting me, I guess at least the server won't automatically update.  The players are another story. One player is on 133, and if I power it on it wants to force an update. Have had the other disconnected for a bit, think it was on 134 and had bad buffering issues.

I may have a beer, and make another college try at figuring this out before I use them for wheel chocks.

Actually, think I'll have several, put in Moneyball, and think about this tomorrow.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »
My understanding is that each player updates based on the version of Squeezecenter.  Perhaps if the player stays linked to mysqueezebox.com, that alone would be sufficient to push an update.  Don't know.

FWIW, Squeezecenter is now at version 7.7+ (and actually, now called Logitech Media Server).  I stay on their beta updates and I swear I get 2 or 3 updates a week.  On the plus side, it seems very stable for audio.  While it claims it can do pictures and video, I suspect there are far better solutions for that at this time. 

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 05:35:05 AM »
It's a constant struggle, the SB's. 
Get something else. That's the solution. :(
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:54:08 AM »
Ya know, sorry, but I really don't get this.  I have 2 SB's and an SB Boom.  All of them update and I never have problems with any of them.  Worst case, after an update, pull the power, leave it off 30 seconds, plug it back in.

Can't tell you the last time I've had any problems after an update.

Now, I'm using a real full blown PC for a server. I know that folks that try to use headless type NAS drives have constant issues.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »
My squeezeboxen have been very good to me.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »
My SB's are fine as long as I keep everything updated, do the updates, reboot the slim server (on a dedicated pc) and occasionally reboot my router.
Some days it blinks in and out. That's usually when I know it needs something. I reboot everything and do new ip's every month or so.
It seems more like maintaining a network than playing tunes sometimes. I'm frustrated with it at the moment but it'll work for a month or so without too much issue.
I have found ipeng to be more reliable (by far) than the duet remote. (which needs its own updates)
C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 04:20:32 AM »
Agreed on iPeng!   I can control all 3 (Touch, Duet & SB3) with either my iPhone or an iPad and that's very nice.  There is also an equally nice app for Android phones.  The Touch display actually works quite well but the Duet Controller is just a pain.

The problems I occasionally have may be due to a broken update (I'm on the beta release cycle) but often, it's a result of me making changes on my lan or router and forgetting to reboot the SBs.   It can be frustrating, but I also believe it's, in part,  the price of today's technology.  I have similar problems with my internet-aware BD player. 

FWIW, the Touch is the only one I'm using in my big rig and using it's digital outs to a DAC.  The other two are relegated to kitchen and bedroom where SQ isn't that important.

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:02:10 AM »
I haven't had any trouble either, but like Brian I'm using a full blown pc (server actually) to host squeezebox server.  I just do my updates there, and the player never bugs me except right after I've updated the server.

btw, you should consider sending them to new adoptive families before relegating them to wheelchocks.  :rofl:
Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:43:04 AM »
Well, I'll yield to my latent masochistic tendencies and give it another try. Have updated to Logitech Media Server 7.7.1, and put one Classic player on line, hardwired to ethernet,  and it has selected firmware 137. Was functional last night. If that stays OK for a few days will add another player.

Will have to check out the iPeng app ... that sounds like a winner as we have iPhones and iPads all around here, and can never find the SB remotes.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 01:56:26 AM »
Interesting.  Hard to believe, but there COULD be an element of pilot error in this crash.  I went into power settings and stopped my computer from sleeping, and stability has seemed to be fine of late - no crazy buffering delays and glitches.  no idea why necessarily, but won't peer into any gift horse extremities.

Downloaded iPeng, and then remembered that my SB's are hardwired, not wireless. Haven't delved into it, but am I able to control through squeezebox.com?