Author Topic: How to turn streaming off for Sboxes  (Read 3859 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
How to turn streaming off for Sboxes
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »
OK probably a dumb question and I'll  :duh when I hear the answer -  But, how do I stop internet activity after I'm done listening to internet radio, to lessen the incoming internet data?

So, if I listen to an internet radio station, then if I pause or even turn off the player itself, does this terminate the bits coming through my internet connection? Wouldn't my router continue to broadcast the data, even if the player was paused or off.

Silly question maybe but I just don't see what tells my modem and router to stop sucking my limited internet bandwidth once I have begun to listen to internet radio.

Thanks fellers

-Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: How to turn streaming off for Sboxes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Flow_control

With TCP, the server feeds data only as fast as client can handle it. If the client disappears the server stops transmitting.

So you can stop the data flow by pausing the song. The SB buffer will continue to fill but once it's full no more data will be sent until SB asks for more.

Your router does not store anything, it only forwards packets to end destination IP address, just like the dozen or so other routers along the path.  If there is suddenly no client to receive a packet already sent by the server, it's too bad so sad.  There is provision in IP to inform the sender that a packet was lost, but it is not used because it slows routers down and is obsolete in the new IPv6.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:10:49 PM »
Good question, great answer.

I'd wondered the same thing myself. :?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
I'd wondered the same thing myself.

Then I'm in good company  :thumb:

Thanks very much, Rich