Author Topic: Networking help for total newb- SB Touch  (Read 7928 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Networking help for total newb- SB Touch
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
I am running Cat6 directly from my laptop to the Touch and when I try to access the Music Folder using the remote that comes with the Touch, I get the "No valid IP" "Your Touch does not have a valid IP address..." error on the Touch display.

I can play music just fine using the laptop, or using the SBox Duet remote, but not w/ the Touch remote.

Can I (and how do I) set a static IP address so the PC and Touch always see each other?

Do I need to change something in the networking side of the PC so that it sends an IP addy to the Touch?  A DCHP setting?

Sorry if my terms are all wrong, hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about.

Thanks everyone...

-Mike

evan1

Re: Networking help for total newb- SB Touch
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
That use to happen to me. Try shutting the touch down and turninig it back on

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 02:36:14 PM »
There should be a "factory reset" type thing.
On the Duet remote, for instance, you pull the battery out, then hold a particular button while installing the battery.
This basically makes it start all over again from square one.

But I'm sure the Touch remote is different than the Duet or SB3, so I can't help ya there.

Bob

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:28:32 AM »
I am running Cat6 directly from my laptop to the Touch and when I try to access the Music Folder using the remote that comes with the Touch, I get the "No valid IP" "Your Touch does not have a valid IP address..." error on the Touch display.

I can play music just fine using the laptop, or using the SBox Duet remote, but not w/ the Touch remote.

Can I (and how do I) set a static IP address so the PC and Touch always see each other?

Do I need to change something in the networking side of the PC so that it sends an IP addy to the Touch?  A DCHP setting?

Sorry if my terms are all wrong, hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about.

Thanks everyone...

-Mike

Mike,

If you have the Touch directly connected to the laptop with cat6 cable you will have to setup the Touch and the ethernet interface on the laptop with a static ip address unless your laptop is also acting as a dhcp server.

Assuming you are using Windows 7:

Start Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Local Area Connection --> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPV4) --> Use the following IP Address

IP Address: 172.27.78.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

On the Touch go under wired netwrorking and select static ip address and assign the IP address as 172.27.78.10, netmask/mask as 255.255.255.0 and gateway as 17.27.78.1

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:29:20 AM »
This explains why I get the same nom IP message every once in a while. My Touch is connected wirelessly and like Evan's whenI get the No IP message it will reconnect sucessfully if I reboot it. I bet what is happening is that the no Ip message is being caused then the IP lease runs out on my server and the DHCP service in the router assigns it a new address.  The ouch probabl;y only searces for the server on boot up so the only way to get to to recognize the new server IP is to run the boot sequence.

Sound right? Not that it really makes a difference, since I will have to reboot the touch, but sometimes it is just good to understand what is going on.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »
When I ran the Touch wirelessly, I always made sure that it got turned on last (hrd drive/pc first, then start squeezeserver/soft, then the Touch) (I had to turn off the "Start squeezesrever upon start of Windows" feature because I wanted to make sure that the Touch always started after the other stuff) or it wouldn't connect right.  So that sound like what you guys are saying about restarting in order to connect.

Deepak - Thanks very much, I'll try this tonight. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

-Mike

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »

Deepak - Thanks very much, I'll try this tonight. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

-Mike

Feel free to give me a buzz if you run into any issues.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:19:15 PM »
"The ouch probabl;y..."

Prophetic, yes???

This explains why I get the same nom IP message every once in a while. My Touch is connected wirelessly and like Evan's whenI get the No IP message it will reconnect sucessfully if I reboot it. I bet what is happening is that the no Ip message is being caused then the IP lease runs out on my server and the DHCP service in the router assigns it a new address.  The ouch probabl;y only searces for the server on boot up so the only way to get to to recognize the new server IP is to run the boot sequence.

Sound right? Not that it really makes a difference, since I will have to reboot the touch, but sometimes it is just good to understand what is going on.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
So now I've screwed everything up-

I did a factory reset to input Shadowlight's IP info in the touch and it didn't work. So I set the network adapter back to auto and try to put manual IP info in the Touch (have done before I think but have no idea what IPs I put in there - The Squeezebox servers?  The network adapters?  I have no idea)

Anyway I cannot get anything to work through ethernet now. nada. The Touch does not show up in the Sbox server web contril page.

Worked this morning. Factory reset and tried to set manual IPs. Now dead.

Through wireless all is perfect.

I though vinyl was supposed be frustrating...

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
Start Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Local Area Connection --> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPV4) --> Use the following IP Address

On the Touch go under wired netwrorking and select static ip address and assign the IP address as 172.27.78.10, netmask/mask as 255.255.255.0 and gateway as 17.27.78.1

What about the Default gateway for the network adapter. Needed? What about DNS server info?

And the DNS server IP on the Touch. Needed?

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »

What about the Default gateway for the network adapter. Needed? What about DNS server info?

And the DNS server IP on the Touch. Needed?

No dns or default gateway needed on the pc if it is just the two devices connected to each other.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »
Last week, before I ever did anything to my PC's ethernet adapter settings, I was able to manually enter an IP addy into the Touch, to make a direct ethernet connection work through PC and Duet remote (though still not able to use the Touch touchscreen or Touch remote)

What the heck IP info did I add? (Squeezebox server IP? Autoconfig IPv4 IP?)

Maybe I'll try the static thing again - if so what do I put in on the Touch for DNS server IP?

djdube525

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 06:31:01 PM »
If the touch is like the squeezebox, you want to give it the IP Address of where Squeeze center is running... ie the PC's IP Address that it's running on.

Not sure what you have for a router... there is an alternative. You router may support static IP assignments. On my linux router, I installed tomato firmware (free). From there I figured out which mac address is associated with each of my devices (PC, iPad, iPhone, Squeezebox, etc) and I assigned static IPs to each one. Personally, I found it easier then muckingaround with Win 7, and it was also easier to lock everything down. Just my 2 cents.