Author Topic: Got SB Duet, now what dac?  (Read 5894 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Got SB Duet, now what dac?
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »
Took a week, but got my Duet working once I installed a linear power supply on the receiver.

I'm loving this piece of gear!  :thumb:

Now for a dac, I heard Levy's EE at the dac shootout at Thumanns, of the 5 or so dacs I heard that day it was my fav, but at $800 it may be a stretch for me, especially as in middle of divorce proceedings.

I tried the $199 Mav 1 with a Raytheon Windmill Getter tube, that sounded nice, (till I heard the damn EE).

Anyway, the Duet plays into a 20 year old Superphon SP-100 pre that Stan Warren upgraded, and from there into a 30 year old 4B amp that Bryston recapped a few months back.

Listening to it all, rock, jazz and now - classical.

Oh, and Onix reference 3 speakers with Skiing Ninja Master upgraded xovers including platinum bypass caps.

What do folks think I could do for a dac here?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:55:57 AM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

evan1

Re: Got SB Duet, now what dac?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
Took a week, but got my Duet working once I installed a linear power supply on the receiver.

I'm loving this piece of gear!  :thumb:

Now for a dac, I heard Levy's EE at the dac shootout at Thumanns, of the 5 or so dacs I heard that day it was my fav, but at $800 it may be a stretch for me, especially as in middle of divorce proceedings.

I tried the $199 Mav 1 with a Raytheon Windmill Getter tube, that sounded nice, (till I heard the damn EE).

Anyway, the Duet plays into a 20 year old Superphon SP-100 pre that Stan Warren upgraded, and from there into a 30 year old 4B amp that Bryston recapped a few months back.

Listening to it all, rock, jazz and now - classical.

Oh, and Onix reference 3 speakers with Skiing Ninja Master upgraded xovers including platinum bypass caps.

What do folks think I could do for a dac here?

Go with what you can afford now and sell it later to upgrade.So far the best DAC I heard was from Neko Audio. I'm sure Rollo can chime in since I think he bought one ? I know he demoed it also. But it is out of your price range right now. Sell some horses .

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
Thanks Evan, unfortunately my horses are swaybacked, not commanding top dollar.  :duh

Guy has a used Mav 1 for $150 on AC, I may go that route as an interim measure.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »
Bolder Cables does mods to all the Logitech players.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »
 The Neko is a VG DAC. Not hyped up , too detailed or hi fi sounding. I have a Promitheus DAC you can borrow if ya like. Actually perferred it to the Neko. It is transformer coupled but NO USB port. Then again your existing transport and the Promitheus may outperform the SB.
   Feel free to borrow it anytime.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:50:18 AM »
Thanks Charles, but I've put this on the backburner for now. I've had over a dozen 12au7 tubes show up this week, (with more on the way), for my pre which I don't even have yet.

Then I have to address my vinyl playback, per Eleazar, it stinks. I've been eyeing the Jasmine phono pre, and there's an Art Audio Reference at half price on Agon............. gack! Stop me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:02:20 PM by etcarroll »

manaox2

Re: Re: Got SB Duet, now what dac?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »
The Neko DAC is at the top of my wanted list. They also have a loaner program and thirty day trial. I'd be interested on others thoughts compared to the prometheus which I haven't heard of.