Author Topic: "music scan terminated unexpectedly" SqueezeCenter 7.4.1 and 7.4.2  (Read 38810 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
I've been through the Squeeze forum archives and can't find a solution for this error message. Seems to be happening quite a bit and most folk blame the antivirus(AV) programs, but I've eliminated that as an option.

When I [Clear library and rescan everything], it makes it about halfway through the files (takes over an hour) and gives me the message "music scan terminated unexpectedly". My playlists also don't show up.

Here's what I've done:

- Deactivate AV program
- rescan F:
==Received failure message

- Uninstall AV
- rescan F:

- Uninstall Squeeze software 7.4.1
- Re-Install 7.4.1
- rescan F:

- Uninstall 7.4.1
- Install 7.4.2 (nightly D/L as of: December 22 2009 04:02)
- rescan F:

Any ideas?  :duh
Thanks fellas,
Bob

p.s. Running; Windows XP Pro SP3

mgalusha

Re: "music scan terminated unexpectedly" SqueezeCenter 7.4.1 and 7.4.2
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »
Do you have all the sleep modes and power saving stuff disabled on your PC? Are you running squeeze server as a service or does it run on demand? The default is on demand and IME it's horribly unreliable in this mode. The older versions installed it as a service then for a while they provided a utility to enable this. In 7.4.1 the control panel has an option to enable "run at system startup", this installs it as a Windows service and IMO is the only way it should be run. I did create an account for it to run as, in my case it's "sys_slim" but you can name it anything you like.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34836

Possible that the ReadyNAS cleaning utility cures it for us, but won't help you on a PC. But there might be clues to be gained.  Turn on the logging to max detail, see if you can see more details. I think I have version 5 if you want to downgrade.

It is also mentioned that 7.4 has a new scanning engine rewritten in C instead of PERL. So it could be a bug, which the prevalence across different platforms would suggest. It took a long time for the Duet wifi remote controller networking issues to be resolved but many updates happened in the meantime, none addressed that major bug. But finally it got fixed.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
Mike - Didn't think about the sleep/hibernate modes. I turned them off. Just for grins, I even turned off the screensaver. One hour, eleven minute rescan:
Got about half the library again. Fail.  :(

Not 100% sure about the 'service' or 'demand', but mased on  your description, I'd say I'm running it as a service. I'm basing this thought entirely on the fact that when Windows launches, I get a balloon that points at the icon near the clock and tells me "SqueezeCenter running".
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I can't find in the GIU where it specifies which mode.
A far as creating an account, you've lost me there.

Rich - Dude, you've lost me there. Most of what you've said is over my head. I'm not using a NAS, although I understand what you're saying about gaining clues from it. I just haven't gained any yet.  :duh
Got my new (replacement) Duet in the mail today. Just hooking it up, and have loaded all the newest updates goodies it says are available. Somehow I doubt that's what you're referring to, but I thought I'd mention it.

Bob - Confused  :duh

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 03:23:59 PM »
I don't have the software installed so I can't tell you exactly where the logging settings are, but you can poke around in the SqueezeCenter GUI to find it. Then set the logging settings to record everything that happens instead of the deafult setting which is just summary to save disk space. Note what time the failure happens, then look it up on the log by timestamp. The surrounding activities might give you a clue. But if it was really that easy, somegeek would have figured it out.  When you're done playing, switch it back to default setting.

Here is a link to 7.3.3 to use until this blows over. (That should be OK, right?) I don't know if there is any special procedure to use for downgrading Squeezecenter.
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.3/SqueezeCenter-7.3.3.exe

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 04:47:58 PM »
Bob,

If you double click the tray icon you should see the attached screen. The middle section where it says "automatically run at system start" will enable it to run as a service. If you want to create a user account for it, under windows control panel you can use the "users" application to create a new user and give it a password. You need to do that prior to changing the settings in the squeezebox control panel if you choose to go this route.

To view the scanner logs, click settings in the web UI, lower right hand corner. Choose the "information" tab and then click the "view previous scan details" link. At the bottom of that page you can view up to 1000 entries in the scanner and server logs. You can change the logging settings from the "advanced" tab, select logging from the drop list.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 05:53:24 PM »
Neat way to embed a photo Mike. Very cool, I've never seen that.
Here's a screen shot of mine, right next to yours. Two things to note; Mine is 7.4.2, and the drop down to change "automatically run at login" can't be changed to "automatically run at system start".
Seems like I'm missing a button somewhere that would make things much easier than I'm making them.  :roll:

Sorry I didn't notice this screen earlier. I never go there. I change things through the settings button when SS is running.

Thanks Mike
Bob

EDIT: Wait a minute, I just found something.......

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 06:08:21 PM »
Alright, I've changed the setting Mike spoke of, and am now rescanning. It'll be over an hour before I expect anything bad to happen (but of course I'd prefer it not happen). By then, the kids will be in bed and the wife and I will be dealing with another version of SqueezeCenter.

Rich, thanks for the heads up on the 7.3.3. Good to know.
Poking around where Mike spoke of, I did find where to get the log file.
If it comes to that, I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks men. Have a good night.
Bob

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 09:00:22 PM »
Nope. Interesting time stamp though.
Another screen shot of yours and mine.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 05:42:17 AM »
You could try Revo Uninstall to make sure you scour away every atom of SC before reinstall. But this is just throwing the dice with long odds. I wish I knew what the cleaner app was that the NAS boys use.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 06:54:59 AM »
I'm guessing you've checked , but as Mike said, on the Advanced tab you can access the server and scanner logs.   It would be interesting to see if it's always crashing in the same directory or at the same point in the scan.   Might be some clues there.... Perhaps a corrupted file or folder?

But, hey, it's Christmas!  Think about it tomorrow and just enjoy the day!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 06:56:38 AM by mdconnelly »

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 10:27:41 AM »
I now have quite a few more tunes than I thought I had, or have ever had. But the playlists are gone.  ](*,)
Most unusual.

I'll rescan and see what the log says, just for grins.

Bob

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 11:04:48 AM »
Early on during todays scan, it's almost as if the scan had determined where it's going to fail. Usually it's somewhere around the 55,000 to 60,000 song mark, but today I notice that a few minutes after I started the scan, it said, "XXXX of 43,000" songs. Like it KNEW where it was going to fail, but continued the scan anyway.
It made it this far: Directory Scan   (4443  of  43118)   Complete  00:19:13
Put another way, the 43,118 was there VERY early during the scan, like in the first minute or two. It took 19 minutes to actually stop the scan.
That's a hint, maybe?

Also, here's the log file. kinda huge.
Hopefully this means something to somebody. The first couple "paragraphs" look interesting.   

[09-12-24 11:31:19.1253] main::init (320) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.4.2, r29665, Tue Dec 22 03:59:59 PST 2009) perl 5.010000
[09-12-24 12:02:47.0783] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (241) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 300 seconds
[09-12-24 12:22:59.0824] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (241) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 300 seconds
[09-12-24 12:58:11.7971] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (241) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 300 seconds
[09-12-24 15:22:55.5647] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1918) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Slim::Control::Commands::playlistcontrolCommand]: [Can't call method "name" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SQUEEZ~3.EXE>Slim/Control/Commands.pm line 1882.
]
[09-12-24 17:30:07.0958] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (241) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 300 seconds
[09-12-24 19:56:34.3908] main::init (320) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.4.2, r29665, Tue Dec 22 03:59:59 PST 2009) perl 5.010000
[09-12-24 20:29:56.3752] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_players_error (241) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor, retrying in 300 seconds
[09-12-24 23:02:49.0471] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (82) Error: DBI Exception: DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Server shutdown in progress [for Statement "SELECT me.id, me.url, me.musicbrainz_id, me.added, me.playcount, me.lastplayed, me.rating FROM tracks_persistent me WHERE ( ( rating IS NOT NULL OR playcount IS NOT NULL OR lastplayed IS NOT NULL ) )"]
[09-12-24 23:02:49.0481] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (82) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 82)
   frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 957)
   frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::__ANON__ (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 1217)
   frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_dbh_execute (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 532)
   frame 4: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh_do (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 1227)
   frame 5: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_execute (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 1451)
   frame 6: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_select (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 82)
   frame 7: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::_dbh_next (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 547)
   frame 8: (eval) (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 540)
   frame 9: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh_do (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 101)
   frame 10: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::next (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 953)
   frame 11: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::next (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>Slim/Schema/TrackPersistent.pm line 62)
   frame 12: Slim::Schema::TrackPersistent::export (slimserver.pl line 1008)
   frame 13: main::cleanup (slimserver.pl line 988)
   frame 14: main::stopServer (slimserver.pl line 58)
   frame 15: PerlSvc::Startup (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>PerlSvc.pm line 95)
   frame 16: PerlSvc::_startup (slimserver.pl line 0)
   frame 17: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

[09-12-24 23:02:50.3596] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (82) Error: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=slimserver','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 950
[09-12-24 23:02:50.3603] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (82) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 82)
   frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 972)
   frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_connect (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 814)
   frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_populate_dbh (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 568)
   frame 4: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::dbh_do (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 101)
   frame 5: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::next (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 953)
   frame 6: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::next (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>Slim/Schema/TrackPersistent.pm line 62)
   frame 7: Slim::Schema::TrackPersistent::export (slimserver.pl line 1008)
   frame 8: main::cleanup (slimserver.pl line 988)
   frame 9: main::stopServer (slimserver.pl line 58)
   frame 10: PerlSvc::Startup (/<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>PerlSvc.pm line 95)
   frame 11: PerlSvc::_startup (slimserver.pl line 0)
   frame 12: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

[09-12-24 23:04:06.7502] main::init (320) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.4.2, r29665, Tue Dec 22 03:59:59 PST 2009) perl 5.010000

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 12:05:53 PM »
Make a new directory with 1 song in it. Let it scan that. If successful, go back and try the other again. If not delete the one song and scan again with nothing.  Look for errors in the log.  You can empty the log before you do a test.

First 4 lines are lost connectivity to the player. Try a hard wire if you are using wireless. Could be this error causes others.

DBI.pm is choking and failed to connect to database. Try extended ping of the database port,
"ping 127.0.0.1:9092 -n 100" in command prompt
See what your percentage is after it finishes in a couple minutes. Probably 100%, but maybe this will help Mike think of another reason your database connection failed.  :D

I would try removing the whole thing and every trace of it with max strength setting on Revo. Then reboot and reinstall "Like a Virgin."

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 01:02:02 PM »
It still sounds a bit like the antivirus problem but I'm assuming you're not running one at this point.

I agree with Rich... I'd use Revo Uninstaller and remove the install and all remnants (including your Squeezebox Server settings) and start over with the lastest download.  Something is definitely funky but I suspect wipe and reinstall will be the least painful path.