Author Topic: Squeezebox Touch  (Read 25095 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Squeezebox Touch
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 05:52:48 PM »
The Touch can run the equivalent of Squeezebox Server with just a USB based hard drive.  How well it performs is yet to be seen.   Also, you do give up the browser interface but given iPeng and Squeezeplay, that's not a great loss.   You also loose some of the plugins but, again, how bad that will be is yet to be seen.

Mine is arriving on Monday but I'll probably keep it running off of a PC for awhile until I hear more feedback about it as a standalone server.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 06:20:04 PM »
Woohoo!  New Touch arrived this evening and within 5 minutes it was playing music.   It took me longer to unbox it than it did to drop it on my network.   It is very nicely designed.   Think the size and shape of an SB3 with a larger version of the Controller built in.  Quite elegant really!

There have been tons of discussions about whether it is the perfect Squeezebox and I'll leave that for others to debate.  What I will say is that it appears very well designed, extremely intuitive to use - particularly if you already own a controller - and very slick to see the album artwork sitting there.

Of course, none of that matters if  it doesn't sound great.  I plugged it into my Oracle DAC1000 so that both it and my Duet were just a button press apart and synced both together.   My first reaction was that I couldn't even tell when I switched between them.  The differences were indeed subtle and not tonal in nature.  But, after sitting through two albums that I know well - one of which was a 24/96 recording, I have to say that I definitely give the nod to the Touch.  It is subtly more refined and defined. 

I will say that the difference is not as significant a difference as between my Oracle CDT and the Duet - that difference also has some tonal differences as well as a more more refined/defined presentation.  But then, that config is also using a balanced JPS Aluminata digital IC where the Duet and Touch are not. 

Bottom line, if you've been on the sidelines with digital playback, you need to check out the Touch.  It definitely takes the Squeezebox lineup more into the mainstream yet does so with sound quality approaching the Transporter.   Couple this with iPeng on your iPhone or iTouch and you've got a great setup for an amazing price.

What I have not yet done (and probably won't anytime soon) is to attempt to run the Touch off a locally attached hard-drive.  I doubt I will simply because my SB3 and Duet are also wireless and it would require a double wireless hop to go from Touch to router and back again to SB3 or Duet.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »
Nice teaser Mike! Thanks  :thumb:

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »
Got mine yesterday and true, w/in 5 min you are making music. (First ever squeezebox user here)

Out of the box the sound is quite good. No direct comparisons to my mid-pack Rotel 1072 CDP yet, but certainly right in the ballpark.

-Mike

Deton Nation

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 09:59:56 AM »
Im on a Mac (G5) and mine wont play ALACs. There is a patch coming soon. The Touch is about 1/4 shorter in width. Plus you have to keep it eyesight level, otherwise the screen fades. Its prety sweet, except my whole library is ALAC, and certain computers are having issue... mine included.
M

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »
Im on a Mac (G5) and mine wont play ALACs. There is a patch coming soon. The Touch is about 1/4 shorter in width. Plus you have to keep it eyesight level, otherwise the screen fades. Its prety sweet, except my whole library is ALAC, and certain computers are having issue... mine included.
M

What version of Squeezebox Server are you using?  I thought they fixed that in the 7.6.0 beta release.  Might be worth a try if you haven't done so yet.

Deton Nation

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 01:19:17 PM »
Actually on the forum under Squeezebox Server in one of the threads there is a patch for Mac.
I will try when I get home.
M

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »

Bigfish8

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »
Just reported on AC:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80053.msg764816;topicseen#new

Rich:

Thanks for the link.  I just applied both codes at check-out and there was a zero charge for next day shipping charges. 

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 06:07:18 PM »
Awesome! :thumb:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »
Whoa!  Nice deal.  I was able to get 20% off when I ordered back in February... guess I should have waited a bit longer.

Bigfish8

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 05:51:43 PM »
I just received an e-mail to expect my Touch to arrive tomorrow! :thumb:

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »
Ken, it will be really interesting to hear how close you think the Touch is to the Transporter - partcularly your highly modded one.   Keep us posted!