Author Topic: Squeezebox Touch  (Read 25096 times)

Mariusz

Squeezebox Touch
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »
Any info regarding Touch will be appreciated.
Also, it has been a while and it is still unclear as to official release date.
I have received email a week ago from Logitech that it is about to hit the streets but shuffling through on-line stores shows empty shelves or out of stock.
 :thumb:

(edit)
Just saw Streaming Players section. :duh
Please move this topic to appropriate section.
Thanks  :thumb:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:21:56 PM by Mariusz »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Squeezebox Touch
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:05:31 AM »
If anyone is holding out for one of these, here's a way to pre-order one at 25% off...

Discount codes at Logitech.com...

pm337eymx gets you 10% off
mir15 gets you another 15% off and is stackable

I believe these discounts will work on any Logitech products.

Deton Nation

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:51:40 AM »
Picked one up.... great deal. :D

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:59 AM »
Pre-ordered one myself - yes, a great deal at $230! Hopefully, these will be released soon. Thanks to mdconnelly for the discounts.

Mike Fox

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
With shipping and tax it comes closer to $250 but still not a bad deal. How does it compare with the old Squeezebox?

Deton Nation

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:36:14 AM »
It hasnt been released yet. Several delays and no release date confirmed, I believe. From what Ive read with modification to the code it should be able to do 24/192 decoding, then there was an ensuing fight about whether you could hear a difference between 24/192 & 24/96 and a discussion of whether HD Tracks hi res were actually hi res files.
Mike

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »
I think the best it will do is 24/96 passthrough without conversion.  For most of us mere mortals, that's likely more than enough.  I don't know what to make of those HDTracks posts, but I suspect it'll sort itself out.

I also ordered a Touch with the sale, but who knows when we might see it.  Some say within a month, others say this summer.  I suspect the delay has much to do with the delayed impact of the Logitech purchase of SlimDevices on the development team.  Sounds like the Touch hardware itself has been sitting in warehouses waiting for the software (v7.5 imbedded) to be fully debugged and released.

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »
With shipping and tax it comes closer to $250 but still not a bad deal. How does it compare with the old Squeezebox?

My electronic receipt shows no tax and free shipping for a total of $229.49 - now, whether we'll see this product released any time soon is another story.....

Beta testers have been praising the sound of the Touch from its analog outs. Also, jitter is supposed to be much lower than current Squeezebox models, so digital out to a DAC should be better.

Mike Fox

Deton Nation

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »
How come you didnt get taxed? I did. Mike you are in NY right?
M

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:49:49 AM »
I got taxed as well (North Carolina).  It must be in states where Logitech has a physical presence.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 07:21:44 PM »
Can anyone comment with a similar or opposing opinion to the CNET article and its comments about remote v. screen functionality? If what CNET says is true, I'm scratching my head about why Logitech didn't offer the unit with a fully featured remote; or, did the CNET writer not understand what the remote could offer?

“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 05:49:32 AM »
IMHO, a fully functioning remote IS available in a number of different flavors.   I'm sure from a marketing position, Logitech wanted to position the Touch as an SB3 replacement at essentially the same price.  That it is and a whole lot more (well, assuming they ever actually release it ;-)

If you want a full function remote that will work with ANY of the Squeezebox products, there are lots of options including....

Logitech Controller
iPhone
iPod Touch
iPad
any laptop, desktop or netbook computer

Logitech could certainly have packaged the Touch with an equally robust remote but it would have significantly increased the cost.  Or, they could have taken the Duet route and kept the Receiver and provided a substantially better Controller. 

But, as an owner of both an SB3 and a Duet, I personally think the Touch is exactly what I want.   Higher audiophile appeal than the SB3 or Duet, far lower cost than the Transporter.  Personally, I want a display on the unit attached to my system and I want a high functioning remote.  I most often use iPeng on my iPhone which makes for an excellent remote.  My take on the CNET article is that the author is not a Squeezebox owner.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
Mike, how do you mean higher audiophile appeal?  Is the audio quality of Touch supposed to be better than previous consumer level squeezebox products?

A friend used his iPhoney to control my Sonos last week. It was a very cool interface. I'm sure the Squeezebox iPhone app is similarly beautiful.

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 08:27:10 AM »
How come you didnt get taxed? I did. Mike you are in NY right?
M

I'm from Jersey....are you from Jersey?? (said in my Joe Piscopo voice - remember when SNL was funny?)

Mike Fox

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »
Rich, the Touch will do 24/96 natively which puts it on parr with the Transporter IMO.  I have seen posts that claim that the Touch DAC is substantially better than what is found in the SB3 or Receiver but who knows for sure.  Since I use an external DAC, that is not nearly as important.  It's also supposed to have better isolation that may potentially eliminate the need/benefit of a 3rd party linear PS.  

It'll be interesting for sure... But for under $300, if it's an improvement over the Duet or SB3, it's a steal.