Author Topic: Squeezebox Boom  (Read 5197 times)

ik632

Squeezebox Boom
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:47:30 AM »
I don't know if you guys are keeping up with SlimDevices these days but they just released a new player.

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_boom.html

This might be the solution to my wife wanting music in the bathroom and me not wanting to cut any more holes in the walls.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Squeezebox Boom
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:24:34 AM »
I can see how it'd be 'tempting'.  :lol:
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:40:54 AM »
Yup.  I might be selling one of those to a customer of mine.  We're doing an inside setup in his main room but also wants music outside and in his garage/work area.  Wants to keep it on a budget.  This is a nice solution.  My wife thinks she wants one too for outside on the deck.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:05:30 AM »
I want one for my shop. Not only as a source of music but also a very handy source for testing gear on the bench.

Hmm, looks like I'd have to add a line out. Would have been nice if they had included one and an S/PDIF as well. :(

Perhaps I was wrong, reading the audio design guide the subwoofer output can also accept headphones and that is selectable in the UI, so I'm sure that would be used as a normal analog output.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:13:23 AM by mgalusha »

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:22:04 AM »
If you have a few spare minutes the Audio Design Whitepaper is worth a read. There is a lot of cool engineering in this little $300 box.

ik632

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:12:36 PM »
Looks like the link is broken currently. I'm definitely liking it though. This looks like a real good option for the bedroom. I even have an old woofer from some computer speakers that I could hook up for low end reinforcement.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
I always like to have 'low end reinforcement' in the bedroom.  :lol:
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »
Hey, there was talk of a group buy on the Slimdevices stuff awhile back.  I'm still wanting a Duet controller and the Boom would work great in my kitchen.   Any chance of reviving interest on another group buy?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »
I could certainly do that.  There wasn't enough interest previously to make it viable. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

ik632

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »
I'd like to get one, but I'm saving up to get a new tv for the living room. So, I guess I'll be waiting for a bit.