Author Topic: WV  (Read 2660 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
WV
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »
I took a little trip up to WV to visit Chateau St. Jean for a couple days. We had a lot of fun tuning his system, cleaning and playing LPs, comparing speakers and components, and just having a fun time. Thanks to Rob and his family for the fine hospitality and the surprise snow storm this morning. ;)   Driving through the mountains is fun too.

Rob's system is awesome. The big Selah speakers have big scale, good tone, and very strong active sealed bass. He has a big boy VPI vinyl rig and great tube amplification. Purple wires, balanced power, soundproof room good for midnight blasting, what more could an audiophile want?

Thanks Rob!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: WV
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »
Welcome home, Rich! :)  I wish I could've joined you.. would've been a lot of fun.
What tuning was done?  Is it better now?
More info please!
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:24:31 PM »
We repositioned speakers, rolled some tubes, compared his tweeters to a potential upgrade from Selah, adjusted sub levels, listened to a lot of good music.

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »
   I hope to get back downstairs and start adding back in the sound treatments tomorrow, unless we have a snow day.  Thoroughly enjoyed having someone else get a shot at moving things around, tweaking, etc. 

I'm glad Rich suspected we needed a tube change in the mapletree preamp. We put in the Sylvania 12sn7's.    It really helped the veritas 2way we auditioned.   the speaker just opened up with the highs, it had a dull washed out character right before we switched.   With those same tubes in and switching back to my Riferimentos, the highs became more aggressive on the SS aircirc tweeters.

Of course to tackle the speaker placement repositioning, we removed all the acoustic treatments on the front wall to get to a bare corner/wall starting point.  I wonder what the sound will do when the treatments go back in?  look forward to seeing what the effect is on the tube/aircirc room interaction.

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!