Author Topic: New flatscreen TV  (Read 30068 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: New flatscreen TV
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 06:55:23 AM »
Oh yeah - but - you can still make it work without all of that.  That's the primary reason I'm dumping my RPTV and going flat screen.  I want to have decent stereo imaging up in that room too. 

Low wide rack with LCD sitting back toward the wall, electronics down low out of imaging interference range, and speakers (floorstanders) pulled out a foot or so in front of the cabinet.  All wiring but speaker cabling is behind the rack. 

Beats the heck out of having my center image killed - not to mention the stack of componenets on top of the RPTV.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 12:51:38 PM »
OK... one more question... Is there any reason to go LCD or Plasma for a TV that will be turned on and off fairly frequently?  This TV will be the 'usual' TV that gets used for sports, weather, video rentals, etc.... My wife will be using it more than me...  So, it'd also be nice if it were easy to use as well.

I'll have a typical HT Receiver, dvd player, and HD cable box atttached.... Nothing else.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 03:31:02 PM »
Is there any reason to go LCD or Plasma for a TV that will be turned on and off fairly frequently? 

Nope.  :)

Bigfish8

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
I was faced with your situation last fall.  Really the choices are true LCD (thin Screen), rear projection DLP, rear projection LCD and plasma.  If you want to wall mount the only choices are Plasma and Thin Screen LCD.  If you plan to hook-up games to the tv or a computer I would recommend thin screen LCD.  They do not suffer from screen burn-in.  If you use the tv just for tv and want the best picture and best viewing angles get the plasma. 

I chose the 50" Pioneer Plasma because I wanted to wall mount and I did not plan on playing games on the TV.  My neighbors has a 50" Sony Rear Projection LCD and when they see my picture they claim it is far superior.  I can only say that my wife and I are very happy!

Good Luck with your decision!

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 06:02:01 AM »
I found this link with more info on Plasma... kinda neat..
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display1.htm

Looks to me like Plasma would fade or 'dim' over time...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 07:09:03 AM »
They certainly can - and they're also more susceptible to burn if you do any gaming or watch the same channels all the time with logos.  LCD's are not prone to this.  From a wear standpoint, plasmas are similar to CRT's.  LCD's will go until they burn out.

Bryan

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 11:59:18 AM »
They certainly can - and they're also more susceptible to burn if you do any gaming or watch the same channels all the time with logos.  LCD's are not prone to this.  From a wear standpoint, plasmas are similar to CRT's.  LCD's will go until they burn out.

Bryan

Plasma used to be prone to burn in... but virtually every unit out there now (the panasonic industrial models being an exception I can think of off the top of my head) have an orbiting or anti-burn in circuit.  Some dim the tv if a static image is placed up there for extended periods of time.  Most have an orbit or pixel shift circuit.  At a defined interval, the circuit shifts the image a pixel or two so that it doesn't burn in.  It works exceptionally well.  I had a Toshiba plasma that I ran 15 hours a day for nearly two years that didn't have a hint of burn in and it spent most of the time displaying a static computer desktop.

plasma does dim over time.... but almost all models on the market right now have a half life of 60,000 hours.  That means that the plasma will be half as bright as it was when you first turned it on after 60,000 hours of use.  Given how bright most plasma panels are, while it will be noticable, that's still a very bright panel even at half brightness.

Based on what's on the market right now, plasma still has the advantage on ansii contrast and true on/off contrast.  LCD has come a LONG way, but it still isn't as good.  In dark movies, plasma is going to win.  In mixed content scenes, plasma is going to win.  Plasma isn't as precise/sharp on defined computer desktop resolutions because of the nature of the pixel structure.  A lot of plasmas have limits on the desktop resolutions they will support.  Plasma has the advantage on response time.  LCD doesn't use as much power.  Most LCDs won't generate as much heat as an equivalent sized plasma (especially if you turn the backlight down on the LCD).  On most sizes, you can get higher resolution for less money with LCD.  But if you can live with a 768P panel, 50 inch plasmas are going to be cheaper than 50 inch LCDs...  LCD uses a more non-reflective surface than the glass in a plasma.  So LCD isn't as prone to reflection problems in highly lit rooms.  I've had about equal reliability rates with both technologies... neither of them are as good as CRT based tubes.

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 02:05:37 PM »
After reading about SED for 2 years and waiting to see what the pricing would be, I was sad to hear Toshiba have sold their interest in the technology back to Canon, and Canon is being sued by te inventor of SED for partnering with Toshiba in the first place. I hope it's not totally dead.

http://news.com.com/Judge+rules+against+Canon+in+nanotube+TV+case/2100-1047_3-6161591.html?tag=news.1

Double Ugly

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »
After reading about SED for 2 years and waiting to see what the pricing would be, I was sad to hear Toshiba have sold their interest in the technology back to Canon, and Canon is being sued by te inventor of SED for partnering with Toshiba in the first place. I hope it's not totally dead.

http://news.com.com/Judge+rules+against+Canon+in+nanotube+TV+case/2100-1047_3-6161591.html?tag=news.1

Yeah, the blog has been essentially dead for a while now.   

I've been waiting for the SED, too.  I'm not unhappy with my Sammy DLP, but I'd love to have something better in the future room ("future room" being code for the room I'll likely never realize :().

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:24:15 PM »
I followed the SED saga a bit. Seemed like an excellent technology. I won't be holding my breath for entry into the market any time soon. Either LCD or plasma will work just fine for me when I get my simple HT setup going by the end of the year.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 06:16:40 AM »
Didn't know they'd perfected the pixel shift thing.  I know when they first tried it, it was really annoying to the point where it was made defeatable.  Anyway, if you don't do static images it's a non-issue either way.

I do still think that the LCD is 'faster' and to my eyes (in a reasonably priced set) much easier to watch.  The drawback has always been black levels - and now that's changing.  Either technology can provide good quality.

Bryan

rosconey

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »
well i took my 32 lcd back to wally world because at times the audio and video didnt sinc up-

went looking at some 42's with split screen (football season in almost here) and ended up with the new hitachi cineform plasma :drool:
its 1080 but not the ture 1080 p-must say the pic is as close to my panny tube as any ive seen-

been on for 20 minutes or so -and im impressed with it-the swivel stand is nice-

rosconey

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »
well i cant hook it up to my stereo-the rca outs dont work if you use the hdmi and component inputs only with a regular cable hook up- :duh the only audio out when those are used is a digital out-guess im getting a reciever-lol

rosconey

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »
i can happily say -i love the picture on this tv- it does hd so well its   :drool:
use my cable box for audio out so i can run my system-

it does a dam good job of enlarging the picture to fill the screen with a 4/3 braodcast ,digital shows look almost like hd when enlarged-being syracuse the heat it generates will be enjoyed 9-10 months of the year :rofl:

rosconey

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »
this tv is a no brainer- a great deal at 1280 bucks- it has a real good chip inside because it does size conversion as good as any tv ive seen-the hd picture is flawless when given a good quality feed like espn or fox-

if your looking at plasma's -give a good look at the hitachi's