Author Topic: Bye Bye HDMI  (Read 13996 times)

djdube525

Re: Bye Bye HDMI
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »
If everybody and his brother starts using it for TV connections there is a good chance you will start seeing users overlap on another , especially in higher density housing areas like apartment buildings, townhouse complexes or even just urban and suburnan areas where homes are close together (typical property sizes an Long Island are in the area of 60' x 100' plots)

60' X 100'???!!! Wow... the benefits of living in somewhat rural NC...

As far as congestion... some 802.11n models operate in the already congested 2.4GHz spectrum... so you're right... big issue there. Although 802.11n can also operate in the 5GHz range where congestion is not nearly as big of an issue.

It all depends on the implementation... which if memory serves me correctly... 802.11n is still draft status... there's always the unknown... something could change.

Dave

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »
60' X 100'???!!! Wow... the benefits of living in somewhat rural NC...Dave
:lol: Yea, sounds more like barn dimensions than size of personal property.  

My nearest neighbor is 400' away. Not much worry of wireless goodies interfering with each other.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
60' X 100'???!!! Wow... the benefits of living in somewhat rural NC...Dave
:lol: Yea, sounds more like barn dimensions than size of personal property.  

My nearest neighbor is 400' away. Not much worry of wireless goodies interfering with each other.

About 2 years ago my wife and I were visiting a friend who lives in Boston in the North End in a 4 story walk up apartment. While I was there she asked me to take a look at the wireless setup on her new laptop because she was having trouble connecting when in her apt (it worked fine at Starbucks, so it wasn't a hardware problem.) I got into the wireless setup screen and did a search for wireless networks. What came up was 17 different routers that she could hit from her living room (and 9 of them were unsecured, which is another story altogether). And this was before people were using 802.11 N which has a further reach than earlier wireless router standards. I am sure it is even worse now. And remember is is only data traffic. If we start doing TV connections via wireless you will see even more people putting up 802.11 devices making the problem even worse. You see the same types of problems with cellular systems in a city environment. In more rural areas cells are engineered to maximize coverage so you don't have any dead spots. In the city the problem is exactly the opposite. because of the population density cells become limited not by the number of square miles they can cover. but rather by the amount of traffic they can carry. Once the traffic in a cell exceeds the capacity of the available spectrum the carrier has no choice but to split the cell into 2 or more smaller cells. But at that point the RF propagation must be engineered not to maximize coverage, but rather to restrict it so the signals from the now smaller cells don't step on each other. It's a whole new world for those of us who have always engineered radio system with a mindset that more signal is always a better thing.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »
Remember the good old days when "wireless was the thing to have" and everybody was getting away from wires?  :rofl:
Given what's being told here, I can see a day (soon) that "the thing to have" will be having your house built with a structured wiring panel feeding a harness to every room.

Bob

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 09:27:32 PM »
Remember the good old days when "wireless was the thing to have" and everybody was getting away from wires?  :rofl:
Given what's being told here, I can see a day (soon) that "the thing to have" will be having your house built with a structured wiring panel feeding a harness to every room.

Bob

Back to the Future?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables