Author Topic: Bybee Speaker Upgrade  (Read 13938 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Bybee Speaker Upgrade
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
Hi Guys

I had tried some Bybees on the output of a friends PDX DAC and the results were good enough for me to try some more extensive use in my PDX and to have them installed in the ML2's I am having built.

What they do to my PDX will need to wait until they are fully installed but yesterday managed to hear them jury rigged into a pair of ML2's.  Wow - more detail, better bass, more liquid and fluid - in all sorts of ways better. 

Can hardly wait until they are permanently installed and to hear what they do to my PDX.

Will keep everyone updated.

Thanks
Bill 

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Bybee Speaker Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »
Price of admission...???  :-s
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline bhobba

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:01:24 PM »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
what a ripoff!

This is plain ole snake oil, sorry not meaning to offend anyone, especially those that actually bought these things, but come on we as audiophiles have to grow up and learn to ignore these silly things

have a great day!

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Face

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
what a ripoff!

This is plain ole snake oil, sorry not meaning to offend anyone, especially those that actually bought these things, but come on we as audiophiles have to grow up and learn to ignore these silly things

have a great day!

Mike
+1...

Offline bhobba

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »

Would a blind test convince you - I suspect one can be arranged?

There are people that say Duelunds are snake oil as well.

A good audiophile buddy of mine was told of the differences in USB cables.  There could be no differences - to cut a long story short he left shaking his head after picking it blind.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss such things as snake oil.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:05:15 AM by bhobba »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 07:28:13 AM »
  Bill if there is one pair of ears I can trust it is yours. You were correct with the Lenehans, PDX and spot on with your DAC reviews. The Duelands as well. To date I have yet to experience a cap that improved my Preamp and speakers to a degree not thought possible. My buddies sonic Frontiers CDP never sounded better after VSF caps were installed. Same for his Amps and speaker crossovers. We heard a demo of Analysis speakers with three crossovers. Stock, then with Mundorf and Dueland then with Dueland. The all Dueland crossover won hands down. The Cast were used. Cost Fuggetaboutit. The result staggering. There was just no going back. Orderd a pair for my preamp and amp. Expensive yes even at OEM pricing. IMO worth every penny.
  I believe our club member Listener uses the Bybees.. Maybe he can add some comments of his hand on experience.
  I believe Mike who builds for Bybee might shed some perspective on them.
   Mikey, Mikey Mikey. We love ya !!

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss such things as snake oil.

Yes, snake oil is very valuable stuff... to the snake!  :rofl:

I don't doubt that Bybees work, I've been hearing good things about them for many years. I think I only heard them once on Aether Revs at RMAF in spectrons, never with a comparison of before and after, which is necessary to discern any difference. But they are pricey, so the hoped for value "if it works" and "the chances that it's not a ripoff" must be weighed before even trying them.   Lottery ticket to many people because it is still not widespread.  But then so were speaker wires at one time and we still don't know what's going on there but we all pony up.

I'd like to get the chance to play with them sometime.

musicfile

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
Bybee's work .. if you're settled in your electronics and have a considerable amount  invested in your system and looking for that extra 1-2 percent to bring you over the top
Try the bybees you won't go back  :thumb:

I'm a believer
For the record Dueland Cast caps and resistors are da bomb

Offline bhobba

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »
Bill if there is one pair of ears I can trust it is yours.

Shuks.  But take my word for it they are far from infallible - far from it - the stories I could tell.  Suffice to say I always try to get confirmation from others.

I believe Mike who builds for Bybee might shed some perspective on them.

Actually when I mentioned I wanted to try them in the ML3 Limited Edition and ML2's I am having built Mike mentioned he had some around somewhere he had been meaning to try for ages.  Got my own in anyway from a guy that deals with them here in Aus and when I took them over to be installed he did a quick jury rig on some ML2's that was burning in which is how we heard it.  Suffice to say he is now looking to be an OEM manufacturer - and count me impressed.

Mikey, Mikey Mikey. We love ya !!

Just love guys that speak their mind as well.

Thanks
Bill

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
Yes, I must speak my mind!
I am sure they make a difference, everything makes a difference. Whether for better or worse that will have  to be heard in the system and just like everything in audio it can't  always be for the better. (or could it).
The problem I have is that it costs so much, if we didn't buy into this stuff we could have tweaks that work for $1.38, but no we fall into the trap and pay big bucks for nonsense.
C'mon $1500 for a power cord! When you put your head on your pillow just before you sleep you must know that this is just wrong!
$740 for some resistors?

How about if you had a headache and I gave you advil and it worked! your headache was gone! but I told you the price was $300 per pill, you would gag and complain, but you would have to admit the pill worked, the pain was gone.
If no one bought my Advils, I would be stuck with them, eventually lowering the price to what the market will bear, 20 cents each!
The market had reached equilibrium and a fair price was found, 20 cents. We have altered that market, messed with it, and allowed these anomolies to exist, $740 resistors, $2000 caps, $1500 power cords, we owe it to ourselves for these prices, don't buy the Bybees and watch good ole Jack Bybee lower the prices, but no why do that? Lets just feed the machine...I can't wait to pay $1500 for resistors!
Now if I SOLD Bybees I would of course have a very different story than the one I am putting down here right now, but I don't and am just speaking my mind..

we are so naive sometimes
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
All I know is that I am not a member of the "we" you referred to. That "we" has a great deal more money to spend on the hobby than I do. Mind you, I have no objection to the existence of this market, I just don't support it.
Scotty

Offline bhobba

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »
Hmmmm.  Interesting view Mike.

Lets take Duelunds for instance and look at my ML3's.  Without Duelunds they cost $6,500 but with them they cost well over twice the price at $15K.  There are a couple of differences other than Duelunds such as better internal wireing but the vast bulk of the difference in cost is in the Duelund parts - particularly the VSF Copper Capacitors with each capacitor costing many hundreds of dollars, compared to the Earse in the base model that cost a few dollars.  A manufacturer would have to have rocks in their head to offer speakers with such a huge price difference unless it really did make a big difference.  Anyone that compared the two would soon pick up any shenanigans.  Yet many people, myself included, despite the huge price difference, opted for the much more expensive Duelunds - they are simply that much better.

Guys selling stuff with these uber expensive parts IMHO would not be in business long if it was all just playing to peoples gullibility - some sure - but I find it hard to believe all is.

Regarding your Advil analogy my mum suffered terribly at one time from migraines and she would lie moaning in her bed and take painkillers like Advil by the bucket-load to no relief.  Then this new drug hit the market, I forget its name, that was supposedly extremely effective against migraines - trouble is a shot cost $100.00.  I said to mum get the doctor down and get a shot for heavins sake.  What - I am not going to pay $100.00.  Anyway I couldn't take it one time and got the doctor down to give her an injection - all up cost including the doctors visit over $150.00 that I paid.  Instant cure - since then every time she got a migraine she forked out for it and they thankfully went away after a while.   The moral is I don't think stuff should be dismissed just because of cost - it may be like the migraine drug - well worth it.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:24:10 PM by bhobba »

musicfile

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 08:10:50 PM »
I'm on the same wavelength as Bill
Yes this stuff is expensive but in my case and for my needs the improved sonics is well worth the price of admission especially if you can source out the parts and do the work yourself.
Bybees in my system transformed a very good sounding system - I'm getting more of everything with no apparent drawbacks except my bank account is lighter
It may not work for everyone but i'm happy and that's the key

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:36:14 PM by musicfile »

Offline bhobba

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 08:37:50 PM »
Yea thats correct.  Very few manufacturers put Duelunds in speakers - in fact apart from my Lenehan stuff I have only heard of one other manufacturer in Switzerland that does it - the cost is just so huge.

Heard of those Sassons - they are supposed to awesome speakers.  Spoke to Eric Hider about them and he has a pair - very impressive - very impressive indeed according to him.

I promised to see if I could get my ML2's out for him to compare - very interesting to see the outcome of that comparison.

Thanks
Bill