Author Topic: New Member "PaulH"  (Read 4045 times)

Offline PaulH

• Seeking Help
New Member "PaulH"
« on: October 27, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
Quite new to audio and spend most of my time in DIY.  Made several Folsom devices and love all of them (amp, antipole, Fo-felix,DCS, etc.).  Have GR-Research servo subs and at the moment X-LS.  The wedgie flat packs are on their way.  Once the wedgies are done I need to really learn about room treatment.

Paul
Amp- Folsom 7297 with Fo-felix, Lofi, DCS2, Kuartlotron
DAC - Sabaj D3
Speakers - Wedgies, GR Research Dual servo subs,
DIY - cables, rockwool corner bass traps, absorption panels, enclosures
Room Treatment - PI Audio diffusors ( oh my!),

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: New Member "PaulH"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Impressive arsenal for being quite new.
Looking forward to see what ya do once ya get warmed up.
Welcome to the laid back zone.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 02:03:30 PM »
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum! Wow, you are on the fast track to great sound! Pls keep us posted.
Nick
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:51:40 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline PaulH

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 02:39:23 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome! 

I need to get hold of Dave at P.I. Audio to find out how to get his deflectors.  I have a small room and it is going to be a bear to treat effectively.

Looking back I did dive in pretty quick.  It all started watching a youtube video and the guy mentioned Danny's X-LS.  Built them and they sounded good but not spectacular.  I suspected that it was my Yamaha amp and Danny recommended Jeremy's "7297 Folsom amp".  Wow, that combination is incredible!  I have friends that are musicians coming in and looking for the sub.  I decided to go one step (and I promised my wife the last step) to delve into an upgrade on the speakers.  Danny suggested the Wedgies due to my small room and I decided to go with twin servo subs from Danny as well.   The servo amps will help me deal with the small room. 
Now I need to focus on the room. I downloaded REW and did a few tests but there is no sense putting in too much effort until the Wedgies are finished and burned in.
Do not expect pretty things as far as speakers go.  I am function over form guy so I will rarely put effort into aesthetics.

Hoping that Jeremy gets back to his new amp design.  :D

Paul
DAC - Sabaj D3

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome! 

I need to get hold of Dave at P.I. Audio to find out how to get his deflectors.  I have a small room and it is going to be a bear to treat effectively.

Done, Greg will be in touch!

Thanks
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
Very impressive set of gear, Paul.  Most of us screw up a lot on our way to a good system.  You have appeared to take no missteps at all. 
Jeremy's amp is hard to beat at any sane price, Danny's speakers are a slam dunk if you can diy even a little.  And now you're going to add P.I. Audio diffusers.  That's all great bang for the buck stuff there.  :thumb:
Actually, I might be a bit biased.  I'm running gear from each of these guys in my house. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline PaulH

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 09:12:15 AM »
Credit has to go to Danny at GR-Research and Jeremy at Folsom for helping me out.  They are both very patient guys!  I also did a lot of reading at the various forums looking for people in a similar situation to me and what gear they had.  There were many very helpful people.
My most difficult decision so far was to choose the colour for the diffusers.  I decided on the Swiss coffee as black will make my small room even smaller.

Things to do: get a smaller computer monitor and have it angled about 15% off of the desk so it will not block the sound when I am on the computer.  Finish the corner traps, redo the absorption panels, make absorption panels for the ceiling, ...... the list goes on.

Paul
DAC - Sabaj D3

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
and on and on and on and on..............

I started putting together my first high end system in 1984 and it is still a work in progress.   :roll:

My usual response when my wife ask when I will ever stop working on the stereo is "When the throw the dirt on me."   ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:20:07 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »
Quite new to audio and spend most of my time in DIY.  Made several Folsom devices and love all of them (amp, antipole, Fo-felix,DCS, etc.).  Have GR-Research servo subs and at the moment X-LS.  The wedgie flat packs are on their way.  Once the wedgies are done I need to really learn about room treatment.

Paul

Welcome, Paul! Danny Richie is a great resource! Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline PaulH

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
Had to update this thread with the arrival of the PI Audio difussors.  Came home with a splitting headache but I had to have a listen.  Plopped on in front of each bass trap behind the speakers, one vertical on wall between speakers and the last horizontal on top of it (makes a "T").  Put on a CD of Vince Guaraldi and as my updated sig says, "oh my"!   These things took the incredible sound stage that the wedgies offer and made it three dimensional.  It sounds like I am in a small night club and have the front center seat.  Now if I just get the waitress's attention......  The detail is so......smooth(?) that I am going try removing the thread from the wedgies to see how it sounds.  I never expected to hear much of a difference but read Danny's post on how he preps a demo room and saw the diffussors.   BTY we have a piano upstairs.....and I am going to stay in my office and listen to Vince. 

I still have lots to do.  I have to put together an enclosure for the fo-felix AC filters and a bunch of other stuff...on and on and on... : )

Thank you Dave and Greg!

Paul
DAC - Sabaj D3

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 02:21:17 AM »
Thanks for the update. Yours is a system I’d love to hear!  I see you’re  from Toronto. Don’t know if we have any active Canadian members on our small forum. Pls continue to keep us posted.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »
Had to update this thread with the arrival of the PI Audio difussors.  Came home with a splitting headache but I had to have a listen.  Plopped on in front of each bass trap behind the speakers, one vertical on wall between speakers and the last horizontal on top of it (makes a "T").  Put on a CD of Vince Guaraldi and as my updated sig says, "oh my"!   These things took the incredible sound stage that the wedgies offer and made it three dimensional.  It sounds like I am in a small night club and have the front center seat.  Now if I just get the waitress's attention......  The detail is so......smooth(?) that I am going try removing the thread from the wedgies to see how it sounds.  I never expected to hear much of a difference but read Danny's post on how he preps a demo room and saw the diffussors.   BTY we have a piano upstairs.....and I am going to stay in my office and listen to Vince. 

I still have lots to do.  I have to put together an enclosure for the fo-felix AC filters and a bunch of other stuff...on and on and on... : )

Thank you Dave and Greg!

Paul
Paul, our pleasure!  We keep telling people that the room is the most important interconnect in an audio system.  You just found that out, eh?   :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:46:21 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »
Welcome Paul.  We aswell had good outcome with PIAudio Difussors. Da room da room da room.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 02:54:38 PM »
I've got a difficult room, and have been very happy with the PI audio diffusers.  They work well and are reasonably priced. 
And welcome!
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub