Author Topic: New old member  (Read 7997 times)

Offline mgalusha

• Seeking Help
  • 50 years of playing with audio and counting.
New old member
« on: July 30, 2021, 01:07:34 PM »
I have not been active on this or pretty much any forums for quite a few years. I helped Carl set up AN back in the day but at some point it looks like my account was purged.

Anyway, I will try to visit often enough to prevent that from happening again. :)

So, hello to old and new friends.

Mike

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: New old member
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Mike,
Glad to see you around these parts!  :D

Hope to see you at RMAF2021 if we all get to go!

Best,
Rich

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »
Welcome back Mike! :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 06:34:08 PM »
I have not been active on this or pretty much any forums for quite a few years. I helped Carl set up AN back in the day but at some point it looks like my account was purged.

Anyway, I will try to visit often enough to prevent that from happening again. :)

So, hello to old and new friends.

Mike

Mike,
I was the owner of AN at the time and iirc I purged members who hadn’t been active in 3 years. I think I saw you on utube a while ago and believe it was on your channel. I did a post on that here about 6 months ago.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mgalusha

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 07:23:21 PM »
Mike,
Glad to see you around these parts!  :D

Hope to see you at RMAF2021 if we all get to go!

Best,
Rich

Hi Rich, I am very much looking forward to it. Room is booked but of course time will tell. Fingers crossed. :)

Offline mgalusha

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 07:27:02 PM »

Mike,
I was the owner of AN at the time and iirc I purged members who hadn’t been active in 3 years. I think I saw you on utube a while ago and believe it was on your channel. I did a post on that here about 6 months ago.
Nick

Hi Nick, totally makes sense. Of course the IT guy in me hates orphaned records. :)

I do have a youtube channel, haven't done much in a couple of years but I have a few this year, mostly machining stuff but a little electronics as well. A friend is bringing a dead amp by on Sunday, might be worth setting up the camera for.

Mike

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »

Mike,
Nick

Hi Nick, totally makes sense. Of course the IT guy in me hates orphaned records. :)

I do have a youtube channel, haven't done much in a couple of years but I have a few this year, mostly machining stuff but a little electronics as well. A friend is bringing a dead amp by on Sunday, might be worth setting up the camera for.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I was in “cleanup mode” at the time, just like my house and garage projects now 🧹
I’m pretty sure you were working on an ST 70 as I was interested in the VTA version at the time.
The guys and I would enjoy seeing you revive an amp, so hopefully you can get the camera 🎥 set up.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 07:36:01 AM »
Hey Mike,

You all moved and settled in now?

Offline mgalusha

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 01:06:41 PM »
Hey Mike,

I haven't moved in 15 years and with any luck, won't ever move, they can haul my carcass out of here. :)

Offline mgalusha

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 01:19:55 PM »
I was in “cleanup mode” at the time, just like my house and garage projects now 🧹
I’m pretty sure you were working on an ST 70 as I was interested in the VTA version at the time.
The guys and I would enjoy seeing you revive an amp, so hopefully you can get the camera 🎥 set up.

I would have but the gent hung around for the initial look. All the output transistors were shorted on one channel of the board with the drivers being suspect. Depending on what he can obtain from the manufacturer, I may end up swapping the entire board or doing component replacement. I suspect it will be more cost effective to drop in a new board, but that all depends on what he works out with the builder. He is friends with the manufacturer, so I won't be surprised if a new board shows up.

The ST-70 rebuild had several more appearances on my bench. The second was to try and make it behave with EL34's, it had output transformers that were designed for KT-66's and it would break into oscillation without much provocation. The third visit was to swap out the transformers with new ones from Toridiy of Poland, that was a major job as there wasn't really room on the chassis for them without serious modification. I machined a new sub plate for the transformers to cover all the holes in the chassis and even so, they barely fit.

On the upside, he really loves the amp and it's been working great.

Pic is of the amp basically done. Very shiny once the protective film was removed. :)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 02:54:48 PM »

I would have but the gent hung around for the initial look. All the output transistors were shorted on one channel of the board with the drivers being suspect. Depending on what he can obtain from the manufacturer, I may end up swapping the entire board or doing component replacement. I suspect it will be more cost effective to drop in a new board, but that all depends on what he works out with the builder. He is friends with the manufacturer, so I won't be surprised if a new board shows up.

The ST-70 rebuild had several more appearances on my bench. The second was to try and make it behave with EL34's, it had output transformers that were designed for KT-66's and it would break into oscillation without much provocation. The third visit was to swap out the transformers with new ones from Toridiy of Poland, that was a major job as there wasn't really room on the chassis for them without serious modification. I machined a new sub plate for the transformers to cover all the holes in the chassis and even so, they barely fit.

On the upside, he really loves the amp and it's been working great.

Pic is of the amp basically done. Very shiny once the protective film was removed. :)

Good looking amp, but what a tight fit 😳 Any idea how much it weighs?   At some point, I may try one. It would only be my 3rd tube amp in 35 years
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 08:23:02 PM »
Hey Mike,

I haven't moved in 15 years and with any luck, won't ever move, they can haul my carcass out of here. :)

Oh right sorry, similar name to someone else. It's smokey here, I can't think.

Offline mgalusha

• Seeking Help
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 09:48:09 AM »
Oh right sorry, similar name to someone else. It's smokey here, I can't think.

The smoke in the air is getting old, that is for sure.

Offline mgalusha

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 09:49:34 AM »
Good looking amp, but what a tight fit 😳 Any idea how much it weighs?   At some point, I may try one. It would only be my 3rd tube amp in 35 years

It was a tight fit. It's pretty heavy, I didn't weigh it but I'd guess 45 or 50lbs. It certainly feels beefier than when it arrived for the rebuild.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »
It's good to have you around, Mike.  I always thought highly of your post over at AC.
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub