Author Topic: Supravox field coils oh my!!  (Read 8170 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Supravox field coils oh my!!
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »
Just got these
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Supravox field coils oh my!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »
and these
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
and the dc power supplies as well

Rich I am going to need your help! :duh

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
OK, I'll be there in 7 hours.  :drool:

I've heard good things about them.

http://www.supravox.fr/anglais/haut_parleurs/215_2000_EXC.htm
http://www.supravox.fr/anglais/haut_parleurs/400_2000_EXC.htm

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ob/ob.html

The Supravox is nice in that it has no wizzer cone, so you can use a real tweeter if you desire. Measurements look great for a full range driver. 

Offline Maxamillion

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »
Mike, did you get those drivers from the guy in South Jersey? I know he had Supravox's on open baffles for sale.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:10:52 AM »
Hey Mike, looks like smeone is going to but some woodworking tools. Cool project. I assume open baffle BTW what frequency reponse to they have. Have fun as you always do.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:18 AM »
Yes,
i bought them from the guy down south.
They came with the open baffles as well as the power supplies, since I have active and passive crossovers all I need is an amp or two or four!
Very nice drivers indeed, can't wait to set them up!

As for frequency response, I don't know, they have a 15 inch woofer so I assume they go down to the 30's or 40's which is way more than I need, as for the top end, the 8 incher is a full range. It looks like he experimented with a tweeter at one time but went back to the two way arrangement.

I ahve read there is a new dipole RAAL tweeter that is supposed to work well with the these drivers, lots to learn.

Mike

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 07:02:52 AM »
Yes,
They came with the open baffles as well as the power supplies, since I have active and passive crossovers all I need is an amp or two or four!

As for frequency response, I don't know, they have a 15 inch woofer so I assume they go down to the 30's or 40's which is way more than I need, as for the top end, the 8 incher is a full range. It looks like he experimented with a tweeter at one time but went back to the two way arrangement.

I ahve read there is a new dipole RAAL tweeter that is supposed to work well with the these drivers, lots to learn.

Mike

:pop

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
  • Insanity is doing the same Audio thing over & over
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
Yes,

Mike

Hi Mike, and others,

I see it has been some years since you posted this but I am at a point where the next step to improve my largely do it yourself system is to replace my Audio Nirvana super 12 inch full range ferrite drivers (Which sounded quite good in the cabinets I built) with either Alnico or, what I’m really curious about are field coil speakers.

The replacement speakers don’t have to be 12 inch but the new AN Alnico version speakers are $900.   I have had alnico magnet with hemp cone speakers in the past, and I loved that sound, but they were not full range drivers.
 And the flipside of the coin is, when I did hear field coil drivers at the LA audio show recently, there was a distortion in a song we are very familiar with, that I did not have in my home speakers.  I am in the Las Vegas area and Audio clubs are pretty much in the dumper here (long story there), and I would love to just hear a nice set of full range field coil driver speakers.  I have spent way too much money on things that sounded like a good idea but when I finally got them into my house they were not so good as I hoped.

I know that field coil speakers can be pricey, but if I hear them for myself and they transport my ears to another level, I would seriously consider them.

Any thoughts on this from anybody?

Gary

Oppo 103, SSD drive
DIY ultra low capacitance power cords, ICs and speaker cables
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre
Primaluna Dialogue4 tube, Hegel H90 int amp
DIY speakers w/8” Rullit field coil FR drivers

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
These cant be cheap drivers  :shock:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 08:02:01 PM »
Gary,

Are you familiar with EMS drivers from France? Look here:http://www.emspeaker.com/ems_welcome.html

Also, here is a Dutch speaker manufacturer: http://www.musicalaffairs.com/ems-units/

I heard the Grand Crescendo II speakers at last year's Taipei Hi-end audio show. They are magnificent sounding, but way over my budget.

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
  • Insanity is doing the same Audio thing over & over
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 10:52:53 PM »
Gary,

Are you familiar with EMS drivers from France? Look here:http://www.emspeaker.com/ems_welcome.html

Also, here is a Dutch speaker manufacturer: http://www.musicalaffairs.com/ems-units/

I heard the Grand Crescendo II speakers at last year's Taipei Hi-end audio show. They are magnificent sounding, but way over my budget.

Michael

EMS speakers yes, Hans from musical affairs speakers used them but he used a modified version. According to a woman I spoke to from EMS, the 12” drivers would ship disassembled from EMS and Hans would build the drivers with chamois surrounds and  spiders, custom made for him. Unfortunately Hans died recently and the company is in rather disarray because the family is doing some infighting about the company. So nearly impossible to get the speakers. What I would like is to just go to somebody’s house or even to a show and hear speakers like that.

Gary

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:59:08 PM by gander »
Oppo 103, SSD drive
DIY ultra low capacitance power cords, ICs and speaker cables
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre
Primaluna Dialogue4 tube, Hegel H90 int amp
DIY speakers w/8” Rullit field coil FR drivers