Author Topic: Premier G2G at Carlman's  (Read 30559 times)

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Premier G2G at Carlman's
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
You know...I'd love to make it down there for one of your G2g's.  But my kids and their activities keep getting in the way.   Just be sure to include lots of feedback and gear pics.

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »
Rob-

Sheesh!  You were into hifi and music long before you had kids.  What are you thinking letting your offspring dictate what you doa nd where you go?

...Sorry.  Got to run.  The daughter's boyfriend is here.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »
 :rofl:
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 12:23:36 PM »
Allen helped me build some acoustic panels this weekend and got a good taste of the final product.  Thank you again, Allen.  He helped me with the very first step of the project and now the very last.  Both jobs were hard work... and I couldn't have done it (right) without you.  This project has made me appreciate my friends more than ever before. :)

The panels aren't upholstered and we didn't get a chance to mount the ceiling panels.. but we got the raw elements finished and installed.  It's really sounding nice now.  I still have a little work to do.. including some bass traps in the corners.  No pics until I get the fabric on.. it's kind of ugly at the moment.. but the light switch fixes that. ;)

My wife and I sat and listened to music together for the first time in over a year last night.  Life is good. :)

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »
either for this get together or for another time in the near future, I'm looking for additional input on some things I'm trying out at the moment.

I've got a normal audio PC with commercial level sound card SPDIF coming out of it.  Decent, but beaten by better CD transports playing the original disk.  I've got a professional USB DAC/mic pre/SPDIF converter that is better than the internal card in some ways, not quite as good in others.  It's cumbersome to work with and doesn't auto-recognize every time laptop is booted...

I've got a Lynx L22 card in a second audio PC that I'm having JPS modify the cable dongle/connectors on to be better quality.  It can feed AES/EBU over XLR terminated interconnect to the Oracle DAC1000.  It can also feed analog via balanced XLR to the analog inputs of the Oracle.

I've got a ART Legato USB-SPDIF converter coming (along with their SPDIF cable to listen and compare to JPS).  This will feed the coax digital input of Oracle DAC1000.

I'd like to compare these solutions to see if there is a clear winner.  I know we've talked about how to get the Sonos to be better quality.  I'd like to somehow get that in the mix as well.

The key here is that I'm too much of a lazy bugger to get up and change disks for every song I want to listen to.  With the exception of about 20 albums that I always want to hear at their very best, I'm willing to give up a smidge to a good transport to get the convenience of having 14 terrabytes of data at my fingertips.  The better half also likes the visual of no cases strewn all over the place and walls of bookshelves full of disks.

While I'm sorting out some speaker choices (more on that later) as well as finishing my rooms (garage just got bumped to top of honey-do list given her purchase on Saturday...which is truely AWFUL to drive, btw.  She won't have to worry about me disappearing with it anytime soon.  I'll just keep driving my truck, thank you very much), it might be better to use your dramatically improving room and setup if you are up for it, Carl?
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 02:53:50 PM »
I'm modding my stock Sonos with clock and linear PS, but I doubt it will be ready for G2G. For me the network server is the best solution for digital music playback, and Sonos is the best interface of all the servers. But soundwise (in stock form) it needs help for both digital and analog outputs. This is true of all toy music players.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 07:22:49 AM »
I'd be interested in a PC/Transport comparison but probably best to do in a small gathering w/ 2-4 people.  That's a very technical type of comparison that requires a lot of configuration.  When Shane and Rich get their transports ready, you are both welcome to use my room as another reference to test/compare.

I'm finding that I definitely have corner issues as Bryan, Shane and Rich have all suggested..  :roll:  I think everyone thinks I've left them off the list of treatments.. but I'm saving the best for last! haha..  I'm using 2x2 panels in temporary locations to hear how much the corners make a difference.. and the back corners seem like the worst... and they seem like they want a little diffusion and absorption.. and those corners are tight spots.. so, 2' x 7' across the corners is all I can do back there...

I'm thinkining of running traps between the ceiling and soffit areas too, all the way across the front and back of the room... probably get 4-6" of trapping there.  Seems like anything's possible with a nail gun. ;)

Looking forward to the meet, it sounds good enough right now.. and it keeps getting better. :)

-C

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 07:47:19 AM »
Doing some chunk style absorbers in the corners will help a lot down low.  It's not surprising that it's the rear as that's where you have the sub driver.  The chunks can easily be made at 17x17x24" triangles to whatever height you want for a reasonable cost.

Since you already have other absorption up, you might want to consider a thin membrane over the corner traps to minimize upper mid and high frequency absorption.  I'd do those in the 4 corners prior to doing anything around the soffiting. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »
Carl, I have your USB condensor mic here, It's in the box of parts for next visit.
You can use that with your laptop and SynRTA to start seeing what's going on. Use the 1/48 octave setting from 10-300Hz to see the bass response in various places in the room. Position speakers for flattest bass response before putting in bass traps. Wall panels are mostly midrange, they can stay.

Also load Room EQ Wizard from hometheatershack.com. That's good for more precise snapshots, while SynRTA is good for live moving traps and speaker placement, you see feedback in real time.

Bryan's 5" blue cotton is superior value than FG for stuffing bass traps. Pallette wrap plastic is a good membrane for blocking absorbtion of ~3kHz? and higher. It is not as intense  upper midrange as kraft paper which sounds like it reflects down to 1.5kHz and adds the paper sound which is pleasant but can be overdone easily if you have a big area.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »
Two weeks to go......

Carl....

I'll be sending down a package to you this week...something to try with your equipment.

I'll PM you when I send it....thanks. :beer:

Chris

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 03:01:32 PM »
Two weeks to go......
Carl....
I'll be sending down a package to you this week...something to try with your equipment.
I'll PM you when I send it....thanks. :beer:
Chris

SWEET!  Things are coming together nicely.. Should be very fun! :)
-C

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 06:13:39 AM »
OK, I'm looking for a headcount.. I'm making 2 batches of BBQ; 1 a tomato-based sauce w/ beef, the other will be SC-style mustard based pork bbq.  I'll have sides and drinks also. 
People often ask to bring something so some suggestions: soda's, deserts, your favorite beer, etc.  Donations are accepted, not required... honestly. 

I'm getting pretty excited... another ceiling panel is up.... And today is bass-trap day.  I've been trying to figure out a way to do it neatly and today is the day to put some theories into practice.  I hope it works as nicely as it looks in my mind. ;)

-C

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39:52 AM »
I think I will wander down the street for a few minutes... :)

Tell me what cabling you need, if any....

I'm not far behind you... finally got the wood last night to finish making my panels (which means I need to stop by and pick up my chop saw from you)... I'm curious to see how you hung your ceiling panels.  I've got a pretty ingenious method I came up with that is super clean looking and easy to do.... even with 4X8X6 size...  I've also got a pretty simple method for bass traps if you want to discuss..
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 06:41:21 AM »
I'm bringing beer, brownies, and Brahms - the staples of life. Beef BBQ for me.
BBBBB

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 08:28:07 AM »
Carl, count me there!   I'll definitely bring some good beer to go with that BBQ.   Have you got the DNA-500 and Jaco now?   I can pick them up that night if it works for you or could swing by earlier if you want to unload them sooner. 

Can't wait to see your place!