Author Topic: LED TVs  (Read 6365 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
LED TVs
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »
Anyone get a chance to see one ? Whats up with these anyways/

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

lonewolfny42

Re: LED TVs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
I believe Levi has one.... 8)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »
I believe Levi has one.... 8)

Thanks Chris.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

AcidJazz

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
very bright and contrasty. Gotta be those Light Emitting Diodes.   :rofl:
Saw these at CES too.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 06:18:19 AM »
Led TV's?  man, I bet they're heavy.. oh wait, no.. that's lead... oops. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:24:16 PM »
The video purists are complaining that the display units really aren't "LED", they're backlit by LED, so technically, they're not true LED technology.

But I've heard they look great anyway.

Bob

philotechnic

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
I saw 3 of these in BB yesterday - very bright but colors way off, red was terrible (too orange).  Not sure if it was a store set issue, calibration or weakness of the technology :-k  Adjacent LCD's and plasmas had more natural color palettes.

SuperHornet

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:07:47 PM »
LED TV may just be a temporary move until OLED TV comes along.

Looking at the soon to pass regulation in California banning large power consuming TV, LED TV has lower power consumption. But to increase contrast, some of the LEDs for backlighting have to be dimmed or use fewer LED by locating them only at the edge which also makes the TV thinner.

LED TV does not have mercury as in LCD TV, however they compete for scarce natural resources like galliium and arsenic which are also used in some type of solar panels.

OLED will be a true LED TV, not a backlighted one, but I do not know where they are with improving life on the blue OLED. Anyway, that is just a function of R&D investments and time.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 09:30:44 AM »
LED TV may just be a temporary move until OLED TV comes along.

Looking at the soon to pass regulation in California banning large power consuming TV, LED TV has lower power consumption. But to increase contrast, some of the LEDs for backlighting have to be dimmed or use fewer LED by locating them only at the edge which also makes the TV thinner.

LED TV does not have mercury as in LCD TV, however they compete for scarce natural resources like galliium and arsenic which are also used in some type of solar panels.

OLED will be a true LED TV, not a backlighted one, but I do not know where they are with improving life on the blue OLED. Anyway, that is just a function of R&D investments and time.

Thanks for the info. I'm staying put with our LG plasma for now.

charles

westcoastman

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »
I started looking at LED TVs recently to replace my going on 4 year old Sharp Aquos 46" LCD.  The Samsung LED TV I saw was pretty impressive but after reading a review and seeing the cons for that model, it's off my list. I will still need to see a Sharp and Sony unit though. The attractive part of the LED TVs are their slim design and low weight.