Author Topic: New Turntable Installed And Ready To Go  (Read 7351 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: New Turntable Installed And Ready To Go
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
Nice pick up Paul, I did not notice the glass shelf.

Jack I have to agree with Paul.I think a maple cutting board under the TT would be of help to you. I had n=my VPI HW-19 Mk IV sitting on a hard surface at one point (A piece of slate that was an inlay to a table we were getting rid of) and I bought my wife a new 2" thick Maple butcher block got the kitchen. When it showed up my son said "Dad, are you going to give that to her without first trying it under the turntable?" I did, and it end up being a very fruitful exercise as the maple sounded noticeably better than the slate. I kept it under the TT and order another one for the kitchen.  8)

I am sure it will sound different. Whether it is better or not can only be decided by giving it a try. But you can probably find a large enough piece of maple butch block on the web for $50 - 75 so it wouldn't cost you too much to find out.

And if if doesn't improve the sound of your stereo you will have a nice present for your wife.  8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 10:10:37 PM »
Well the new Music Hall 9.3 is up and running. A couple little glitches but on the whole not too bad. I like some of the upgrades over my previous Music Hall tables. The spikes that go on the bottom is a nice touch and the little discs they sit on keeps the surface from being scratched up. Taking the motor and decoupling it from the plinth is a big advantage when trying to keep down surface noise. Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Hi Jack,

Looking at your pics, I have 2 suggestions to try out.

Try playing some records without the dust cover on.

Try putting something between the table and the glass shelf. If you happen to have a maple cutting board laying around that's large enough: Bingo!

Might help improve the sound, might not. If nothing else, it will feed the Nervosa.

Hey Paul, what are you doing posting after midnight.... that's my job.  :lol:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »

Hey Paul, what are you doing posting after midnight.... that's my job.  :lol:
[/quote]

Just getting started Tom. Maybe we should form a club, but I wouldn't want to join any club that would accept me as a member.

Offline Jack in Wilmington

• Seeking Help
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 05:37:17 AM »
I was going to try 3 of these under the legs.

Speakers........Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
Amp...............Pass Labs X150.5
PreAmp..........Cary SLP-03
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/  Goldring 
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Rotel RCD-1072
Okki Nokki...….Record Cleaning Machine
DAC...........

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 07:27:56 AM »
  Herbies makes fine products. The most affective way is to make a sand box and use either Maple or Bamboo plinth resting in sand. If that is not feasible next best is plinth decoupled from surface below with Herbies or equal then decoupled again from plinth. Simple easy and very affective at keeping those bad vibrations from below out. Have fun trying.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

• Seeking Help
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
Just picked up this maple cutting board to go between the turntable and the glass shelf.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 11:12:21 AM by Jack in Wilmington »
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Rotel RCD-1072
DAC...........

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »
Just picked up this maple cutting board to go between the turntable and the glass shelf.

I used to have glass shelves, but never tried the cutting board. Pls post if there’s an improvement, and if so, what it is.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

• Seeking Help
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 06:57:21 PM »
Hey Nick,
     I can hear the bass tightening up and becoming more full. On Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony I can hear instruments that were previously masked. The cellos have made an appearance and the piccolo too.
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Rotel RCD-1072
DAC...........

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 08:37:29 PM »
Hey Nick,
     I can hear the bass tightening up and becoming more full. On Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony I can hear instruments that were previously masked. The cellos have made an appearance and the piccolo too.

Jack,
If I get my rig running again, I’m going to use the sandbox and cutting board methodology
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »
Jack, let me pass on some advice that was given to me about maple butcher blocks.

When I first got mine my wife asked that I stain it to match the color of the cabinet it was going to be sitting on. I called the company I bought it from, told them what I wanted to do and asked if they put any kind coating on the wood that needed to be removed before I could stain it. 

The tech support rep I spoke with said there was no problem staining the wood, but there was another issue I would need to deal with. When I butch block cutting board is used in a kitchen you are supposed to oil it about once a month. I always thought this was to keep it clean, but there is another reason I was not aware of. Over time the maple pieces will start to dry out and shrink, to the point where they start to separate. Therefore I was advised that if I was going to use the butcher block as a turntable base I needed to do one of two things, either A) remove the turntable once a month and apply a layer of oil to the butcher block, or B) put a layer of polyurethane over the stain to steal in the moisture and prevent to wood from drying and shrinking.  I chose the poly. It has been two years since I sealed it and there are no gaps in the wood whatsoever. The on in the kitchen on the other hand is starting to show some minor separation because I am not a punctual as I should be in oiling that one (You cannot use poly on a cutting board tat is being used for food preparation.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

• Seeking Help
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2018, 05:55:05 AM »
Good advice. I'll get the polyurethane.
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Rotel RCD-1072
DAC...........

Offline Putz

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
Hey Nick,

You're welcome.

Did you ever try playing the table with the dust cover off?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:54:47 PM by Putz »

Offline Putz

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 07:53:28 PM »
Jack, let me pass on some advice that was given to me about maple butcher blocks.

The tech support rep I spoke with said there was no problem staining the wood, but there was another issue I would need to deal with. When I butch block cutting board is used in a kitchen you are supposed to oil it about once a month. I always thought this was to keep it clean, but there is another reason I was not aware of. Over time the maple pieces will start to dry out and shrink, to the point where they start to separate. Therefore I was advised that if I was going to use the butcher block as a turntable base I needed to do one of two things, either A) remove the turntable once a month and apply a layer of oil to the butcher block, or B) put a layer of polyurethane over the stain to steal in the moisture and prevent to wood from drying and shrinking.  I chose the poly. It has been two years since I sealed it and there are no gaps in the wood whatsoever. The on in the kitchen on the other hand is starting to show some minor separation because I am not a punctual as I should be in oiling that one (You cannot use poly on a cutting board tat is being used for food preparation.)

I never finished my Boos cutting board and after 7 years, no splitting. Of course now that you've put the thought in my head, it'll probably split tomorrow. Damn you Mazz!

• Seeking Help
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 06:36:48 AM »
Hey Nick,

You're welcome.

Did you ever try playing the table with the dust cover off?

I did and didn't notice any difference.
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Rotel RCD-1072
DAC...........

Offline tmazz

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »

I never finished my Boos cutting board and after 7 years, no splitting. Of course now that you've put the thought in my head, it'll probably split tomorrow. Damn you Mazz!

Glad I could help.  :lol:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9