Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 4394 times)

Offline richp4003

Hello Everyone
« on: June 18, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »
Hi, my name is Rich, and I suffer from audio nervosa.

I guess there were signs when I was young, always fiddling with electronics, taking things apart, and building Heathkits. In my early 20s, I felt like I had it managed: Some B&W 805s, Sony ES components; I was happy then. However, moving into a new home a few years ago is when the symptoms started to set in. I had set up a home theater (with those same 805s) but came to realize all I was doing was listening to music, never utilizing the other speakers and amplifiers. I thought it would make sense to "simplify"; later to learn its anything but simple. I would build a nice stereo/hifi. I got some better B&W speakers. Realizing the Rotel amplifier I was using didnt cut it any more, I started to research tube amplifiers, and ended up with some Luxman MB3045 monoblocks.

I was content, for a while. I messed with bi-amping, using SS for the low end, but it wasn't ever quite right. I tried changing up configurations, tweaking, but never was as satisfied as I could be. I got a Luxman integrated, but still left me tossing at night. I tried an NAD DAC, but still wasn't finding Nirvana...

It got so bad I found myself driving in the pouring rain on night through New Jersey, to a a pushers house only known as Shadowlight. Hours later, my car was loaded to the brim with Zu Audio Druid Vs.

What a mistake. B&W stuff made it easy. The Zu speakers dont play the game easy. They want the best, they want more. They constant push for better, to tweak, to change, to give the absolute best. I built a knockoff Zu "Undertone" subwoofer. I added Dirac Room correction. Another pair of Luxman monoblocks.. a Luxman DA06 DAC... a Luxman C700 Control Amplifier.. a Luxman E200 phono stage...  each addition making them sound even better, and yet always leaving the question "Is there more??" Did I mention I had to support this affliction by getting all of that from Japan? And it runs on 100V through a PS Audio P3? Sheer madness.

And now.. I've become "SET-curious"

Thank you for having me. My name is Rich, and I suffer from Audio Nervosa, and there is no cure.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »

I guess there were signs when I was young, always fiddling with electronics, taking things apart, and building Heathkits. In my early 20s, I felt like I had it managed: Some B&W 805s, Sony ES components; I was happy then. However, moving into a new home a few years ago is when the symptoms started to set in. I had set up a home theater (with those same 805s) but came to realize all I was doing was listening to music, never utilizing the other speakers and amplifiers. I thought it would make sense to "simplify"; later to learn its anything but simple. I would build a nice stereo/hifi. I got some better B&W speakers. Realizing the Rotel amplifier I was using didnt cut it any more, I started to research tube amplifiers, and ended up with some Luxman MB3045 monoblocks.

I was content, for a while. I messed with bi-amping, using SS for the low end, but it wasn't ever quite right. I tried changing up configurations, tweaking, but never was as satisfied as I could be. I got a Luxman integrated, but still left me tossing at night. I tried an NAD DAC, but still wasn't finding Nirvana...

It got so bad I found myself driving in the pouring rain on night through New Jersey, to a a pushers house only known as Shadowlight. Hours later, my car was loaded to the brim with Zu Audio Druid Vs.

What a mistake. B&W stuff made it easy. The Zu speakers dont play the game easy. They want the best, they want more. They constant push for better, to tweak, to change, to give the absolute best. I built a knockoff Zu "Undertone" subwoofer. I added Dirac Room correction. Another pair of Luxman monoblocks.. a Luxman DA06 DAC... a Luxman C700 Control Amplifier.. a Luxman E200 phono stage...  each addition making them sound even better, and yet always leaving the question "Is there more??" Did I mention I had to support this affliction by getting all of that from Japan? And it runs on 100V through a PS Audio P3? Sheer madness.

Thank you for having me. My name is Rich, and I suffer from Audio Nervosa, and there is no cure.
Rich. We all feel you.  BUT!  You offer a unique challenge with the 100VAC issue.

This is gonna be fun!

Welcome!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 10:07:29 PM »

Rich, you’ve come to the right place. “We” can help you....really we can 😳. As to dealing with Shadowlight, well........ 🙄😁 (haha D’s a great guy)
Anyways, welcome aboard!!
Nick
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:15:23 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:56:17 PM »

Rich, you’ve come to the right place. “We” can help you....really we can 😳. As to dealing with Shadowlight, well........ 🙄😁 (haha D’s a great guy)
Nick

Help him, yes. Cure him, well that's a horse of a different color.

My wife once asked me , "when are you going to stop buying records and obsessing over the stereo?"

My response...........

"When they throw the dirt on me."  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:08:50 AM »
Rich: Welcome to the safe house. We try to look out for each other here and there are some great guys here.
Well tmazz, that explains why my wife is always thowin dirt at me.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »

Nick
Rich, welcome to the Million Step Program.  I have my 55 year coin and it seems to just get harder to be good.  The SET quest is eye and ear opening....... and fun!

Welcome aboard the lifeboat.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:54:52 AM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
Late response, but welcome Rich.  Glad you are enjoying the Druid's. 

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 07:33:31 AM »
Yes, Welcome, Rich!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »
  Welcome. SET hey ? That is what I have going on. Rethm speakers Audio Hungary A15SE mono blocks or Consonance custom Cyber 211 mono blocks.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.