Author Topic: Favorite SET Amp and Why  (Read 12344 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
Re: Favorite SET Amp and Why
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »
For myself, my favorite SET would be 300B based and prefer parallel designs. I like the extra power while maintaining the 300B sound.  Second on my list would be the 805.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
Doug s., I guess you never heard a EML XLS 300b tube. They are very dynamic and neutral almost to the point of sounding like SS.

I really like the Takatzuki 300b's. They are very natural, refined, and open. They are not slow and limited in the bass and treble. It's important that you have quality trannies of cause.

Maybe you should try and hear a well made 300b amp, before you believe what others say, IMHO.

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »
Different people different taste.

We have had customer(s) who want nothing but 845 and then other(s) who stand by 300B and yet other(s) for 211.
When a potential client asked what's our (my) preference, I'd always told them it's their taste that counts.

In the meantime, just keep enjoying the music.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
That's per pair, yes expensive. But your statement wasn't about price. It was of being colored not neutral.
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks.  Sound great to me.

100 watts of single ended transistor Class A MOSFET power and very reliable.  After 20 years about time for a power supply recap.

Works great with the Von Schweikert Research VR-8 speakers.   :D

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »
I agree this thread should be about persinal preferences. We all have different taste and should respect other's tatste as well. Thats what this hobby is all about.
I do like the 300B but also like other designs too. A good 6C33 design is something i could also live with and even an EL84. They all have their followings and theres no "best" tube (or even type of system....tube/SS) just like theres no best genre of music. Whatever puts a smile on our face is what matters.
Design Engineer
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »
  Looking at Decware Zen mono blocks. I like the 6C33C used in the Lamm but 37K, later. I have a 211 based  [18W/ch]Consonance all custom SET hanging out. I will of course try that first. RCA 211s and GE 211s on hand.
The Rethms are 102db so 1.5W and up. I like Yamamoto, Shindo as well. So many to choose from it can be confusing. Hugh what you got man in SET. Bill can ya make one ?
For the bang for the buckaroonie it appears Decware is untouchable. Just never heard one. Thanks to all who have helped so far. Doug if money was NOT an issue which one would you recco ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 01:25:29 PM »
I was using 2a3 amp which was 3.5W with Zu Druid V (no longer being used, since I sold Druid).  I also liked the sound of 6c33c amp Almaro sounded very good with the Zu Definition IV (Jim's amp).  You also have the option of getting 6c33c amp from K and K Audio

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
  Looking at Decware Zen mono blocks. I like the 6C33C used in the Lamm but 37K, later. I have a 211 based  [18W/ch]Consonance all custom SET hanging out. I will of course try that first. RCA 211s and GE 211s on hand.
The Rethms are 102db so 1.5W and up. I like Yamamoto, Shindo as well. So many to choose from it can be confusing. Hugh what you got man in SET. Bill can ya make one ?
For the bang for the buckaroonie it appears Decware is untouchable. Just never heard one. Thanks to all who have helped so far. Doug if money was NOT an issue which one would you recco ?

charles

Charles,

I thought you already knew what we have? ;)

Anywho, take your pick among Integrated from AN211, AN300B, AN845 to Monos from M845, PM845, MN845.

What's your poison?
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 04:39:46 PM »
Hugh,
I thought you had parallel 2a3 integrated also or am I thinking about parallel 2a3?

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 05:24:09 PM »
Hi Charles. Yes, I can make one. I have designed a few SET amps over the years but as you know, focused primarily on preamps. Probably the best. 300B amps I have heatd to date are the 18.watt  Purity PSE 300B Ultra mono blocs. Keep mind mind I am biased as I they were designed based on what myself and my partner believe would be how an amp of this nature should sound as well as some very unique technologies that went into this design. I would have to say these are the best amp I have built over the years. Unfortunately,  not exactly cheap.

I do have other 300B single ended as well as EL84 based pieces I build but I did not design these. I have no problems working with other's designs (in conjunction with the designer of course) if i beleive in it. Pride does not get in the way here.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:31:21 PM by Response Audio »
Design Engineer

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »
..........theres no "best" tube (or even type of system....tube/SS) just like theres no best genre of music. Whatever puts a smile on our face is what matters.

Now you're talking my language!  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »
Slagle custom designed and built the output transformers on tye Purity PSE 300B monos mentioned above.  :drool:
Design Engineer

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 02:22:59 AM »
CHARLIE,
If money is no object how about having Slagle build you  a pair of amps using his transformers, maybe go for silver, oh my!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 06:29:31 AM »
Charlie,

If I remember correctly I believe you are Rethm dealer, if yes why not take a look at their tube amp as one of the option which is based around 6c33 with 6922 in preamp section?  According to Rethm website it is called Gaanam.