Author Topic: Solid State Amps  (Read 11260 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Solid State Amps
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:14 PM »
Doug,

Thanks for your thoughts. :thumb:

Interestingly enough, there's now a reasonably good chance that my Daedalus Apollo speakers will not travel to my home in Taiwan as had been planned from the beginning, and may remain in Oregon/Washington for our new home. [This must be decided in the next 2 weeks.]

They really are a bit too big for my living room in Taiwan. Oh, I could slide them out to listen and slide them (nearly) against the front wall when not in use, but it would be a PITA the longer it had to be done. We're still looking into possibilities.

Anyway, this means the speakers would be already chosen and the amp would be for the new home in Vancouver.

I hadn't considered EC amps because I had assumed they were over my budget.

That's pretty amazing about the Devialet amps being sold because of the Folsom amp. Good one, Jeremy!
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline uncola

• Seeking Help
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 03:44:14 AM »
I know you already got your Don Sachs tube amp, but we seem to read the same threads and I just wanted to mention I had someone build me a folsom amp and it's amazing, has a live dynamic quality and giant soundstage and I think it's my favorite out of all my amps.  and it's small and doesn't get hot!  I'm very curious to hear how you like the don sachs tube amp.. tubes are the one area I haven't gotten into yet.. too scared I"ll start collecting expensive NOS tubes :)

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
I know you already got your Don Sachs tube amp, but we seem to read the same threads and I just wanted to mention I had someone build me a folsom amp and it's amazing, has a live dynamic quality and giant soundstage and I think it's my favorite out of all my amps.  and it's small and doesn't get hot!  I'm very curious to hear how you like the don sachs tube amp.. tubes are the one area I haven't gotten into yet.. too scared I"ll start collecting expensive NOS tubes :)

Hello, uncola.

I read your comments in that thread. I'm on the verge of ordering a kit and begging some kind soul to build it for me. [Even if I had the skills to assemble the parts, all my tools are in storage.]

I had hoped to have my Don Sachs amp over a month ago, but the reality is I will take delivery in about ten days. There will be a few days to use it to power my Apollos (IF I can borrow a temporary DAC/pre combo for that week) before I box it up for the flight to Taiwan.

Assuming I can find a loaner DAC for those few days, I will post my impressions even though the amp will not have burned in by that time. I'll post again perhaps a month or so after arriving in Taiwan.

Don has been absolutely swamped these last few months. It's not just orders that must be built, it's that he's spent a huge amount of time answering phone calls from potential customers. Apparently a good number of calls are tire kickers who ask umpteen questions only to decide they won't buy. I hadn't thought about this problem till he mentioned it. I believe he has cut back on calls and is encouraging emails to reduce his telephone time. Oh, he's going to celebrate his father's 100th birthday(!) in a couple weeks, so that will pull him away from home for about ten days.

It must be difficult running a one man operation especially in light of his new found popularity.
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 02:15:24 PM »
Michael I can build the 7297 for you if you decide to try it.

Offline uncola

• Seeking Help
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
radu at simpletubepleasures built mine, he's done a few now and his assembly skills seem very good.. he even used these knockoff finite elemente universal cereball feet I got from singapore that didn't come with nuts for the screws heh.  the wire twisting inside my amp is very sexy.. he doesn't charge too much.  I'm loving listening to this amp every day.  it's so good I'm thinking about upgrading speaker wire now

Offline dBe

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »

It must be difficult running a one man operation especially in light of his new found popularity.
Running a one person operation is one of life's really over rated little pleasures.  Don't get me wrong I chose this road.  Easily 50% of my day is spent answering inquiries via email or talking to "potential" customers on the phone playing 20 questions.  None of this is necessarily bad or unwanted.  It is part of the cost of doing business.  It does make it difficult to have a normal workday or home life. 

In the final analysis I love what I do and who I do it for.  It's a great way to make a living  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 06:36:40 AM »
Do what you love and love what you do.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »
Do what you love and love what you do.  :thumb:
I'm too damned old and set in my ways to do anything else!  It is a good but challenging way to barely make a living.  I should have priced my wares higher, but ethics got in the way  8)
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline dflee

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
Ah, morals are the death of a number of potential millionaire.
In my case it's, well mor-on that later.
In Micheal's case would he be looking for best dollar per watt vs most watts per dollar scenario?

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »
Ah, morals are the death of a number of potential millionaire.
In my case it's, well mor-on that later.
In Micheal's case would he be looking for best dollar per watt vs most watts per dollar scenario?

Don

Don,

When I began this thread, my intention was to get the best amp possible up to my subjective $4k max. Now that I will soon have a Radu built Folsom amp, my jets have cooled a bit. Time will tell if I'm satisfied by it though. I'll want a tube amp as well, so I'll begin casting about for something nice and sweet sounding. No hurry though. I also want a really good DAC, but won't need it till this summer.

My Apollos will stay in the States for a spell. [My wife has dug her heels in on the matter of my having them in our current flat in Taiwan. We hope to move to a larger flat in two years and they will be allowed then. It's not worth damaging my marriage to get them there now.] I'll need just a few watts to make them sing, I believe.

I guess that's my answer for now.

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline dBe

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:38 PM »
...I should have priced my wares higher, but ethics got in the way  8)
perhaps a wise move - there is something known as supply & demand, and the law of diminishing returns...  ;)

doug s.
well, crap!  Now you tell me!   :lol:

Note to newcomers in the industry.  If you come up with a great product don't be afraid to ask what you think the market will bear.  It is much easier to lower prices than it is to raise them.

Two of my problems were:

Underestimating the superiority of the BUSSes over 99% of what is available in the market place.  I consistently get feedback from buyers that tell me how much better the Uber is than the $5K products that look frickin' fabulous.  I always thought that it made more sense to spend money on the parts/pieces that make the BUSS-Line a stone killer instead of offering decades old technology in a really pretty case.  That is why most of my customer's power conditioners

Second was not building in enough profit that would allow me to hire and train a mini-me that is honest (so he/she would not ripoff my intellectual property and do the same thing) with a really good work ethic.  I have tried to hire some students... What a joke.  They all want $25.00/hr.  90% have no clue as to which end of a common screwdriver is the business end...

Still, it is rewarding and fun. Go figure...

Offline Folsom

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
If you were young you'd want $25/hr too. Life isn't cheap, college loans are not cheap, etc... especially when you didn't buy a home in the 80's so your mortgage is less than a studio apartment today (can be 1/3 the price in some places).

Morals are tough these days... make it in China so you can sell it to people that aren't rather wealthy, or charge enough that you slowly exclude people as prices go up.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 02:46:13 PM »
...I should have priced my wares higher, but ethics got in the way  8)
perhaps a wise move - there is something known as supply & demand, and the law of diminishing returns...  ;)

doug s.
well, crap!  Now you tell me!   :lol:

Note to newcomers in the industry.  If you come up with a great product don't be afraid to ask what you think the market will bear.  It is much easier to lower prices than it is to raise them.

Two of my problems were:

Underestimating the superiority of the BUSSes over 99% of what is available in the market place.  I consistently get feedback from buyers that tell me how much better the Uber is than the $5K products that look frickin' fabulous.  I always thought that it made more sense to spend money on the parts/pieces that make the BUSS-Line a stone killer instead of offering decades old technology in a really pretty case.  That is why most of my customer's power conditioners

Second was not building in enough profit that would allow me to hire and train a mini-me that is honest (so he/she would not ripoff my intellectual property and do the same thing) with a really good work ethic.  I have tried to hire some students... What a joke.  They all want $25.00/hr.  90% have no clue as to which end of a common screwdriver is the business end...

Still, it is rewarding and fun. Go figure...

Dave,

If you relocate to OR or WA, I'll take it on in stints when I'm not in Taiwan (commuting would be hell). You don't have to pay me $25/hr. I won't rip you off.

I seem to recall that I'm a little bigger than you, so I might be your maxi-me.

It had occurred to me that you needed an apprentice when we visited last year.

Enjoy your weekend,

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom