Author Topic: Should I go First Watt?  (Read 13267 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Should I go First Watt?
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
So one of my 300Bs is beginning to hum and needs replacing but before I do, looking for opinions on First Watt and its many versions.
Now keep in mind  that I'm using EHs now and have no plans to spend more than say $150 a tube.
has anyone spent time with First Watt amps? Will I miss the 300Bs considering I'm using bargain basement tubes.?

Bored at work............
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Should I go First Watt?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:33:39 AM »
you should contact ,JBtrio he has killer 300bs and a Pass Labs amp he just loves. he could shed some light on the subject.
300bs get expensive fast,,the SS offers reliability and the low power pass labs might be that special enough to woo most people away from tubes.

Talk to someone who actually has experience with lots of tubes and gear, not just quotes from the internet, or full of BS,, call Joe.

He tries lots of tubes, not just stuck with the same pair for years
No one here knows more about these tubes than Joe, and he had direct experience with several Pass Labs amps used in his low power high eff system.
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »
Thanks Topround

Yes, Joe has the Coincident 300B amp and Pass Labs 30.8 and he prefers the 300B . The problem for me is he uses higher end 300B like the Elrog.
If he had the EHs he may have leaned towards the Pass.
    --Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »
Shuguang Black Treasure 300Bs were worth every penny to me. I think $300 each when I bought them? Don't know what they cost now. I used them in my Manley SEPP monos. I forget the other 300Bs I had to compare, but they weren't really expensive. One was original Manley tubes, maybe Sovtek or something cheap like that, sounded genuinely bad. The other was supposed to be upgrade, Sophia I think. Both really sucked compared to Treasure which sounded gorgeous. Made by communist state owned factory in China. $280ea

Gold Lion has 300B tubes now. All their other tubes are very well regarded, and made by American owned company in Russia. I have their KT88s and love them.  $140ea

This review compares EH to Gold Lion and Treasure, et al.
http://blog.thetubestore.com/300b-tubes-review/
Beware internet tube comparisons, especially posted by tube seller!!

My First Watt B1 kit sounded pretty bad until I modded it with different transistors. The bad sounding MOSFETs were the whole purpose of the B1. I've noticed people don't seem to keep First Watt amps very long. Imo, they were originally designed to be simple to build for DIY, designed around an interesting part or topology to prove a technical point, not necessarily for ultimate sound quality. For that you gotta pay up for the Pass name.

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »
Hey Emil,
 The First Watt amps are really nice. Probably a M2 would be a better  choice with your speakers over the J2. Give Mark a call at Reno Hi-Fi he is a wealth of knowledge pertaining the Pass Labs and First Watt.
Actually running the 30.8 for 6 weeks while my 300b was getting fixed really improved sound wise. Maybe it needed more time to break in but, now I think they each have some positives and negatives. The only thing the Franks have over the Pass is in the midrange and texture.
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
Sorry Rich, I have to disagree with you. The First Watt amps are excellent sounding. You need to match the right speaker to their specific amp model, IMHO
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 09:23:24 PM »
So what washroom will you use if you choose a "First Watt" ?

:rofl:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »
So what washroom will you use if you choose a "First Watt" ?

:rofl:

Hopefully sanity will returned and I'll be using a washroom with other "dicks" :lol:
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 04:02:43 AM »
Thanks Joe

I was thinking about the M2 myself. I'll grab one if I see one for a good price.
    --Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 08:17:52 AM »
Sorry Rich, I have to disagree with you. The First Watt amps are excellent sounding. You need to match the right speaker to their specific amp model, IMHO

Yeah, that's true.  :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 07:57:33 AM »
  Emil tubes are less expensive then a new amp. Maybe you could borrow and demo some 300B tubes from Pete or Joe. A Tube Rave maybe. Or amp rave.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
Hi Emil,

I've bought tubes from this place before and they are having a sale today.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/300B-Tube-Types

Go for the Genalex - Gold Lion PX-300B

Best of luck.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 04:35:11 AM »
Just picked up a First Watt M2 at a good price so we'll see.

Of course the seller is from the west coast so I'll have to wait a good 5 days for it to get here :lol:
    --Ice Cube

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:07 AM »
Hey Emil,
Good for you. Let us know how it works out. Hopefully, it will have good synergy with your set-up!

Joe

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 08:08:32 AM »
Yeah! I hope it works out great. Have fun!