Author Topic: When a dedicated power circuit just doesn't cut it...  (Read 3587 times)

djdube525

When a dedicated power circuit just doesn't cut it...
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463

"Normal electricity just wouldn’t do anymore. To tap into what Mr. Morita calls “pure” power, he paid $10,000 to plant a 40-foot-tall concrete pole in his front yard. On it perches his own personal transformer—that thing shaped like a cylindrical metal garbage can—which feeds power more directly from the grid."

:D

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: When a dedicated power circuit just doesn't cut it...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
I think I have received the forwarded email 50 or 60 times.  Still an amusement to me...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »
I would imagine that a really powerful regenerator would be even better source of mains power than any transformer. Lower impedance, absolute perfect waveform, dead silent. It should be cheaper than a private pole?

But global viral email about your stereo system is priceless.  :thumb:

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:44:41 PM »
I'm the only house on the transformer that's at the end of my driveway. And apparently it is wired to the house with some extra-large gauge wire.
So I wonder whether power conditioners would really help me. :-k
I haven't gone there...yet.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
That helps in the EMI context a bit, but RFI is a different animal.  It is everywhere and very noticeable when it is gone.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe