Author Topic: Cleaned my contacts  (Read 6746 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Cleaned my contacts
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
Was sitting on the couch listening to the system saying to myself, I can't read any more of this book, it's too cold and windy to play golf, I don't want to turn on the TV ... why not get the cotton balls and alcohol and ! tips and clean my contacts.

I've been remiss this past year, I usually do this in the winter. So ... 2 hours later and they  are all clean. But wait, there's nothing coming from the right speaker. So on the hunt I go, testing continuity in the interconnects - all fine. The amp and is OK too. I chase it down to the sub crossover I use between the amp and preamp. There's a high-pass signal pass-through from the preamp to the amp.

Opening it up I find a broken solder join. Must have bumped something when I was cleaning it, so out comes the soldering iron and all is well again.

Now I turn everything on again and sit down to listen. Crapola, this is sharp and forward. Transparent as hell but hard on the ears. It's going to take a few days to settle in I suppose.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Cleaned my contacts
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 04:11:24 PM »
Kinda reminds me of the saying "No good deed goes unpunished"
Hope it mellows out quickly.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:29:27 AM »
I'll just switch over to my Mullard 6922s in my preamp for a while. That should fix the problem.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:45:56 AM by BobM »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:11:26 AM »
Hence why we should all be more vigilant about cleaning. The  sound changes as the contacts oxidize and then we make choices based on how the system sounds at the time we are making an evaluation. If the contacts are dirty when we make that choice it might not be the same one we would have make if everything was clean.

We should all be cleaning on a regular basis before the sound gets effected so that the performance of the system is always on the same plane.  Great idea in theory, but we usually tend to leave things alone until it starts to sound dull and then we fix it by doing a through cleaning.

Bottom line, if the sound changes significantly when you clean, you are waiting too long in between cleanings. But of course inertia usually takes over and we leave things alone... or sunny days and tee times get in the way. Been there and guilty as charged.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:48:30 AM »
Hey, you clean your balls often, and your pits, to help you with your socialization efforts. (sorry, I must be channeling Mikey Fruit-Loops this morning)  :yay2:

You're right Tom, though it is a big effort.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
  Bob give the system 3 full days to settle in again. Once one moves cables around they need time to settle the dielectric again.
   After three days if still not happy it is your system that needs attention. 

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »

You're right Tom, though it is a big effort.

Of course it is. That's why we always put it off.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 04:21:07 PM »
I posted this on a music board, in a supposed Audiophile thread. I really thought that cleaning connections was as basic as it could get. I mean isn't it pretty obvious that metals oxidize over time? Isn't it obvious that clean connections are better than dirty ones for the flow of electricity?

Nope, people there are equating it to marking CD's with a green pen. Really? It's free, relatively easy, and the improvement is pretty obvious when it is all said and done. Even the engineers are saying there is no reason to clean a contact. Holy cow, that takes the cake.

Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »
Bob,
Remember their basic premise, if you can't measure it, it doesn't exist :roll:
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 06:23:29 PM »
I posted this on a music board, in a supposed Audiophile thread. I really thought that cleaning connections was as basic as it could get. I mean isn't it pretty obvious that metals oxidize over time? Isn't it obvious that clean connections are better than dirty ones for the flow of electricity?

Nope, people there are equating it to marking CD's with a green pen. Really? It's free, relatively easy, and the improvement is pretty obvious when it is all said and done. Even the engineers are saying there is no reason to clean a contact. Holy cow, that takes the cake.

Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

Then I guess to those "engineers" that a dirty potentiometer is not an issue. after all the static that you hear is all in your mind  :duh
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline dflee

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
No, that's in your ears. Heaven is in your mind.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline rpf

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
Unfortunately, if you have un-plated copper contacts in your system, as I do (Cardas Tellurium Cu on speaker cable spades and speaker binding posts), they require cleaning every season unless a very light coating of Silchem Silicone Grease is applied - as per the advice of Jennifer Crock.

I recently bought Jennifer's Electrical Contact Enhancement Fluid which is supposed to have the same effect. I'll try it the next time I clean my contacts

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:10:39 PM by rpf »
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
Unfortunately, if you have un-plated copper contacts in your system, as I do (Cardas Tellurium Cu on speaker cable spades and speaker binding posts), they require cleaning every season unless a very light coating of Silchem Silicone Grease is applied - as per the advice of Jennifer Crock.

I recently bought Jennifer's Electrical Contact Enhancement Fluid which is supposed to have the same effect. I'll try it the next time I clean my contacts

Hey Rob,
FYI - your copper speaker cable spades are shipped "coated" with Jena Electrical Contact Enhancement Fluid...  :thumb:

Happy Easter,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS