Author Topic: Synergistic Research QRT  (Read 12972 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Synergistic Research QRT
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »
    Hearing great comments about these High frequency room treatments. Cannot keep them in stock. Not a dealer.
    Another excellent product to check out. If you like an open transparent presentation try them. Trying to get some to fool around with.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Synergistic Research QRT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
Do you mean the Synergistic Research ART?

I did a search for QRT and nothing came up.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/category/acoustic-art/

I'll have to take your word for the performance. The Synergistic website looks poorly constructed and with only some information about this.

That and I just have a hard time believing these little things make an impact in sound quality.

This item seems like a money grab IMO. The product looks nice but the materials to make it don't look like much and something like this placed in your room will help with the acoustics? Seems like a Jedi mind trick. Acoustic panels I can believe in but one of these little things impact SQ significantly I just don't know.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
The concept does work. I have heard a similar product make a nice difference. They can't replace traditional treatments. Ideally you'd use both, each in its proper place.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
Re: Synergistic Research HFT
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »
They are HFT High Frequency Tranducers. WTF. Sorry guys my bad.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:28:58 AM »
Looks like a Danish style sink if you ask me and I agree, Snake Oil!! :roll:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
A little bowl to hold your snake oil!  :lol:

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
I'm still quite the skeptic on the Synergistic Research ART or HFTs but if Rollo and the professor say it works I'll take their word for it. I won't be buying them anytime soon as I just can't wrap my head around they would impact sound.

Here is more info about them.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/how-to-set-up-hfts-feq-in-your-listening-room/

set-up

I'm being serious here though. Does anyone think you could simulate the effect of the HFTs? I haven't been able to find close-ups of them but they kind of look like thick socket wrench attachments. If I get 5 of them that are the same diameter or depth as the HFTs and place them like how Synergistic instructs I'm wondering if I get a sound change.

I remember some time ago for acoustic treatments people advised me to put some folded bath towels on my wall or thick floor pillows in the corners before I would buck up on acoustic treatments.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
The Synergistic Research designer is a genius. He has several weird but efficacious products like this. People love that shit. Something to play with besides just listening to music... so boring! Cheap, weird accessories = gold mine. Acoustic Revive is another such brand.

DaveC

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 05:43:13 PM »
I saw a lot of this kind of stuff at in past years at RMAF but they seemed to have disappeared for the most part this year.

I think everything makes a difference in sound, you just need to decide how far you want to go. These kinds of tweaks cross the line for me, I feel like putting effort in other areas would pay off a lot more.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
   Boys boys terms like snake oil is just not fair. Did you check out the video ? Did you try them ? After the RMAF demo they are almost sold out. So many people liked them and bought them so why not a try.
   These are not that expensive to try and come with a 30 day money back guarr.
    Should have some soon to report on. Open eyes.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »
  My customer and friend received the HFT devices for us to experiment with. We were prepared up to level "4".
   The room is rectangular approx. 14x 22. plaster walls and carpeted floor. the only treatment are RPG floor standing diffusers [ 2'x4'] on the rear wall.
    system used consists of Lamm Ref preamp, Lamm 2.2 monoblocks, Analysis ribbon speakers with all Duelund CAST crossover, BSG QOL, Weiss Media DAC, CEC 01 transport. All ICs are JPS SC-3.
    The power is supplied by three dedicated circuits with an Uberbuss at each. all powercords are TWL a mix of plus and cyro only. Speaker cables are TWL [ 2 sets for bi-wire]. Jumpers from crossover to speaker are JPS SC-3.
     Needlees to say a great sounding system. So why mess around. The room needs attention to expose the most from said system.
     Installed level one, listened to Joe Sample live [ we only use live recordings for evaluation] and was taken back as to how open the sound became. Even the bass was tighter. level two Added them to the clg. and side walls. Even more open and clarity with no IL effect.
     Right to level four. When I put one on the back of each speaker as well as the front the difference was staggering. Holy cow Batman.
      Never and I repeat never have I heard this system sound so live and real yes real. Presence is off the charts. See through clarity with deeper and better defined bass.
    Cut after cut with very familiar music the emotional involvement was deeper than ever. Pristine cymbal shimmer with decay to infinity. High notes on the piano had tone and harmonics so close to real it was goosebump city.
    Guys I know this system really well. the speakers just disappeared like never before creating a "U" shaped semi surround sound stage.
    I cannot recco these enough. I am not a dealer but wish I was. They will sell themselves.
    Try them you will not return them. No snake oil here. Period.

charles

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
Hi Charles

Some quick questions after talking about this with my Father-In-Law who is into audio but also quite the skeptic. When the various Synergistic tweaks were evaluated were they installed as music was playing and you all heard the difference? Or were they installed while the system was off and then when you played music you heard the differences? My Father-In-Law keeps stating "oh it is just placebo of expectation bias." "If you didn't know they were installed you wouldn't hear a thing." You know that age old double blind test etc.

I keep trying to talk him into buying the stuff so he can evaluate it and deal with the returns as he is retired and has lots more free time than me but he won't budge.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »
   We played one cut over and over again. Music was stopped then we installed listened again. No placebo effect here.
    The affect is quite obvious. I am very familiar with this system. Open open and more open.
   They offer a 30 day return. So far none have been returned. Mine are coming in next week. have level one and two coming.
   Your father in law may be a skeptic however IMO he will concur with a hands on demo.
    To be honest i thought they would do something just did not expect the result. We removed all listened again and were very disappointed. The sound stage collapsed and sounded Hi fi i direct comparison. believe me this system does not sound Hi Fi.

charles

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »
These types of tweaks are so alluring, yet they do seem to come and go.  I know I spent a good bit on various Alan Maher power gizmos and crystals some years back - and while they did make a positive difference, the buzz about them seems to have all but died.

Charles - Syn Research claims these should be applied in order (Level 1, Level 2, etc...).  Your post seemed to imply that the biggest bang was after Level 4 - applying directly to the speakers. Have you tried them "out of order"?  For example - Level1 plus on speakers (skipping Levels 2 & 3)? 

While I'm certainly intrigued (my new room needs treatment yet WAF is a challenge),  I've also got a health dose of skepticism given past "investments" of this sort.   Good on them for their 30 day eval period.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
Hmmm, in googling around about the HFTs, it seems that the Synergistic Research FEQ (frequency equalizer) is recommended to be paired with the HFTs (or so the marketing speak would indicate). 

Any experience with the FEQ - with our without the HFTs?

I will say that it's brilliant to market this stuff as an alternative to extensive room treatment - the perfect solution to WAF issues.