Author Topic: favorite bypass caps  (Read 19971 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
favorite bypass caps
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:48:20 AM »
I know, I know ... V-Caps or Duelands, any value up to .1uF

But what others have you tried and liked?

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: favorite bypass caps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
The Auri T Teflon. Mundorf silver/gold in oil are nice as well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
RelCap PCU sound nice and are affordable for copper foil caps.

In any case I have noticed copper foil caps sound nice, so I'd go with one of them. Jupiter is coming out with new copper foil caps that are supposed to be comparable to Duelund for much less $ so it might be worth calling.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
Vishay MKT-1822

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:41:11 PM »
Do you mean the Vishay MKP1837 Rich?

If not, then what's the diff between them IYO?

Anyone have any info on the Mundorf EVO series vs their Silver + Oil series? The Aluminum + Oil actually seem reasonably priced in small values.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:45:14 PM by BobM »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
1822 polyester. 1837 PP. I tried 1837 after hype thread on AC. Didn't like it, butit was better than Solen, the worst.

DaveC

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 02:59:29 PM »
Yeah, I tried Solen MKP just to see how much worse a cheap cap would be and it's way worse than I thought it would be. It did a lot of damage to the sound.

BobM, the Mundorf S/O was pretty good in my amp but the RelCap PCU is quite a bit better, and 2x the price as well.

For less expensive (Mundorf s/o range) options Feastrex was offering a cap... Urushi I think... looked like a PP cap with some damping added. It was very, very good. I won a pair at rmaf 2 years ago and tried them out.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 06:04:33 AM »
I've used the following myself:

- Russian teflons (very nice, open and transparent, but they have some grain and a bit of forwardness to them). Inexpensive.
- Sonicap Gen II - they are smooth but don't quite have the air and transparency of the teflons. Inexpensive
- Relcap RT's - also transparent but more forward sounding than I prefer
- V-Cap teflons - very nice and open and beautify, but terribly expensive
- Dueland Alexandria's - these are the nicest bypass cap's I have heard. They do it all. Unfortunately Partscoinnexion is out of stock and there is no other distributor (yet).
- Sonicap Platinums - I have these as coupling caps in my preamp. They don't need a bypass. More expensive than I want for an added bypass cap.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:11 AM »
If there is a big difference in quality bt main and bypass film caps then the two ranges are split and sound different. If the required capacitance allows decent film cap then I would pick something nice that doesn't need a bypass. I like the Jantzen SuperiorZ for good value with nice highs. But if the required capacitance is too large for film cap (>50-100uF) then a bypass around a good electrolytic is a good idea. Ideal ratio of bypass cap to main cap is 1:100.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
  If money was no object then by all means a Duelund CAST [ copper] with CAST silver bypass.
   If one can change the input cap to a Aura T then use Duelund CAST at output it will give ya complete neutrality in and Duelund flavor out. Our club member Les has done this for two of his components. Excellent results.
   If using a SS amp then the cap used will have a larger influence on sonics. With a tubed component the tube used with cap is the key. Synergy. From my experience the VH audio teflons are great with the RCA 211 [ rich] output on the Consonance Cyber 211. When using the GE 211 [ bright ] the VH is just to much of a good thing. With the Duelund CAST and GE 211 heaven. Same experience with my Loesch & wWeisner preamp. When using a RCA cathode follower the MIT cap was just fine. When tube was changed to a Mullard the Duelund Alexandra was King.
    It is more than the cap that needs to be considered.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
I notice some mention of bypassing caps in amps. I have never had good results in doing this with coupling caps unless there is a large value electrolytic. Cathode bypass is a different story.

Preamps on the other hand provide a lot of options. I do prefer to bypass coupling caps in preamps unless a high quality cap that provides tbe sound you want is already used. Caps such as Duelund or V-Cap Teflon do not require bypassing IMHO.

The Purity Ultra preamp uses a large Duelund copper foil cap with .50uF Silver foil bypass built in. Not a cheap cap by anybody's standards but the best cap I have ever come across.

I have found that the V-Cap TFTF or CUTF is a great bypass capacitor for most any application. I especially like the OIMP with a Teflon bypass.

I would like to hear opinions from anyone who has any experience with the Mundorf EVO oil capacitors or the new Deulund Alexandria.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
I am using a small Alexandra as a bypass to the transistors in my amp. right on the center pin. they are very natural and just give the amp that extra little sparkle but in a relaxed way.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »
What about for power supply caps ? Bill is it a good thing to bypass power supply caps or just change out the cap ?
    Looking to try some Audience Aura T. Or ?? A Solen is in now. Would the Teflon have any advantage ?

charles

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »
What about for power supply caps ? Bill is it a good thing to bypass power supply caps or just change out the cap ?
    Looking to try some Audience Aura T. Or ?? A Solen is in now. Would the Teflon have any advantage ?

The power supply caps are electrolytic, then yes, bypass has many advantages. Some will argue about the use of Teflon caps as bypasses on power supply caps but I have found there to be a beneficial difference over inexpensive poly caps.

Just remember that the power supply is every bit as important as any other part of the circuit.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »

The power supply caps are electrolytic, then yes, bypass has many advantages. Some will argue about the use of Teflon caps as bypasses on power supply caps but I have found there to be a beneficial difference over inexpensive poly caps.

Just remember that the power supply is every bit as important as any other part of the circuit.

Thanks Bill. Got that right. The power supply IMO is what we really listen to. The better the power supply the better the sound.

charles