Author Topic: So Newcomers Start the Conversation  (Read 3858 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
So Newcomers Start the Conversation
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:16 AM »
  Seeing lots of new members but not seeing any posting. C'mon guys don't be shy start talking.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: So Newcomers Start the Conversation
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
They be shy, Bro'!

[-(

So a man walked into a stereo store and...???

Guys.  Fill in the blanks, please!

:thumb:

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
They be shy, Bro'!

[-(

So a man walked into a stereo store and...discovers he's in a time warp and it's 1975.  Marantz champaigne, Pioneer cool blue lights, and the ultimate prize, the big 10" Revox. 

Guys.  Fill in the blanks, please!

:thumb:

I haven't seen a stereo store in a very loooong time. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 09:01:36 PM »
What's a stereo store?  :rofl: My saying stereo store would confuse my nearly 26-year old son.

Here in Taiwan, the 'average person' calls speakers 'stereo' (in Mandarin, of course). Yup. Just the unpowered speakers are the stereo.  :roll:

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
Well, it’s an open invitation for anyone to post whenever the mood strikes  :thumb:
As to those stereo stores, I sure miss them. When we were in our 20s, my buddy and I would hang out and look, listen and appreciate. Nice guys those store owners to put up with us.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
Do I count as a newcomer? 😝
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »
Do I count as a newcomer? 😝

Sure you do, Hugh  :^o :^o :^o
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Udog

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »
Greetings,
This is my first post, glad to be here.

I would consider myself an entry level audiophile.  It started a couple of years ago when I re-foamed my JBLlt83 speakers that were purchased in 1989 and survived many attempts to be sent to the junk heap by my wife.
The re-foaming process was enjoyable and very satisfying as I couldn't believe the sound I had been missing for so many years.  This started a process where I purchased a Cambridge DAC magic DAC to hook up to my CD player and I was on my way.  In the last couple of years I've purchased a tube integrated amp (Line Magnetic) and Rega Planar 3 turntable with a HEED phono stage.  I enjoy being able to hear the subtleties in music, not room shaking bass.

I am now developing audio nervosa big time. 

As I have mentioned on other sites, I fight a battle of inconsistent sound.  Some days are great, others mediocre.  At times my CDs sound better than vinyl.  Through a process of elimination and experimentation, I believe a lot of the inconsistencies are due to electrical issues.  Although I have since installed what I believe is an dedicated line, the influence of dehumidifiers and central air conditioning is hard to ignore and makes a big difference being that my listening area (I hesitate to call it a room) is in the basement.  The hot summer in the northeast does not help with all of the inconsistencies in the electrical supply.

So the nervosa involves looking into a power conditioner, possibly a cartridge upgrade, new racks, anti vibration pucks and pods, new CD/DAC and streaming devices.  Maybe an upgrade in turntable too.  I have been lucky to have saved all of my old albums through several moves and recently found my original copy of the Beatles White Album, which is in decent shape, when my childhood home was sold.

I purchased a new pair of B&W 683 S2s  in April, which are still in the box.  My wife decided my basement area needed some improvement and so after repainting the basement floor and emptying the room, I now have an echo chamber.  Have added an 8x10 rug and some furniture, so everything is a work in progress.  Am nervous about the new speakers and am actually afraid to try them for fear that in the environment other than a dealer's room, they might not sound as good.

So, I guess my first question to the group is: "What experience have you had with power conditioners or similar products influencing sound"  and do you have any recommendations.

As I mentioned earlier, I consider myself an entry level audiophile.  I haven't spent 5k on an amp or 2k on a turntable...yet.  What should I expect to spend for decent power conditioning?  I have found a product for $1000, but not sure if that's enough. 

I look forward to your help and assistance.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
If you have noisy power, then Uberbuss is a good fix for that. If you have voltage fluctuations or brown outs, then you need a power regenerator to provide steady voltage, which will also quiet the noise. They are essentially power amps that play a perfect 60Hz sinewave signal at 120 volts no matter what the input voltage is.PurePower, PS Audio, etc.

Congrats on the new speakers, they look sweet! Don't be afraid. Just setup your new speakers and get cracking on tweaking the speaker positions, your listening position and the acoustic properties of the room to get the full potential out of the new speakers. It will take some time to learn how to set up speakers. When you're ready to deep dive in the setup, search the web for various setup procedures like Cardas, Master Set, etc. Or ask for specific advice here. While this place seems very laid back, you will that some of the most experienced, most patient and wise audiophiles on the web live here. Just ask!

Concrete basements are echoey, but you can damp that echo with textiles for the mid and high frequencies, and thicker denser fiberglass board (Owens Corning 703 and 705) for the low frequencies. Realtraps.com and GIkacoustics.com are good sites to learn about acoustics. The biggest problem in a basement is taming the low frequency modes.  You can measure your room to find out where they are,or estimate using room mode calculator on realtraps.com

There's a LOT you can accomplish with positioning the speakers and your listening spot to improve the listening experience without installing acoustic treatments or spending more money. FOr example, Moving the speakers and yourself toward the center of the room, away from walls, will make the listening triangle smaller, but also reduces the volume of the reflections. You sit closer so you can turn it down, and that makes the reflections have less power, and their distortion less noticeable. There is a limit to how close you can be to the speakers, but you'll find where that is if you experiment. Move everything around and learn what your room can do.

Judge your progress by your lust and anticipation for listening to your system when you're not listening. Do you look forward to it? Good. If you used to look forward to it but not anymore, figure out what you changed to mess it up and change it back. Keeping a little notebook ain't a bad idea. Write down what the system is, how it sounds, your emotional feelings about it, your proposed changes, and your subjective feelings after the changes. It's all about getting turned on by the music. It's too expensive for it not to woo you.

Welcome to AudioNervosa!
Rich

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »
Welcome, Udog! That’s some nice equipment and should yield some very good sound. I’ve never been troubled by fluctuating voltage, but noise has always been a problem. So the most amazing product that I’ve used in 35+ years of audio nervosa is the Dave Elledge Uber....PI Audio. This device is superb at reducing the noise floor and I plug everything into it. I’m not bragging on the device because Dave’s a member here....it’s just that good. If that’s something that you try and like, then cabling might be very important as well. Cables can be quite good for a reasonable price.
So if you can fine tune some of theses issues and control room acoustics(and your wife 😳), you may be on to something!
Good luck!
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz