Author Topic: new member LakeEffect  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
new member LakeEffect
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »
We have a new member, LakeEffect. Please welcome him to the forum!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: new member LakeEffect
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:14:11 PM »
How ironic that on the day that we in NY are dealing with our fourth major snow storm in three weeks we get a new member named Lake Effect.  :lol:

Welcome aboard
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline LakeEffect

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:29:34 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! I adopted my moniker back when I lived in the snow belt of NE Ohio (I still live nearby).

I'm currently rehabilitating the (now) vintage collection of components I assembled back in the 70's and 80's. They've sat safe but neglected for too many years so I'm having fun bringing them back to life. I hope to learn from the knowledgeable posters here (I've been lurking) and add to the discussion whenever I can.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »
Welcome!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 06:36:40 PM »
Be well, post much and reap the goodness here  :thumb:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! I adopted my moniker back when I lived in the snow belt of NE Ohio (I still live nearby).

I'm currently rehabilitating the (now) vintage collection of components I assembled back in the 70's and 80's. They've sat safe but neglected for too many years so I'm having fun bringing them back to life. I hope to learn from the knowledgeable posters here (I've been lurking) and add to the discussion whenever I can.

What a wonderful project you’re taking on. Please feel free to ask anything and we look forward to watching your progress along the way.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »
OK

I can't help myself here.  Is your last name Snow?

8)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »

By the way, do you have a first project planned yet?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline LakeEffect

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
My first project was rehabilitating my Technics SL-23 turntable. I was really dismayed a few years ago when I fired it up for the first time in many years and discovered it would no longer maintain a constant rotational speed. I thought it was junk. Thanks to the internet, and sites like this one, I discovered that they could be fixed.

Inspired, next came my Marantz 2226 receiver.  This proved to be less work than the turntable but more satisfying.

Right now, I'm restoring a pair of BIC Venturi Formula 1's that I've owned forever. Don't laugh, I know they're not TOTL but I've owned them as long as I've owned the TT and receiver and figured they would be a good learning experience. I'm having the woofers reconed while I replace the cheesy vinyl woodgrain veneer with real walnut veneer (I like woodworking, too)

I'm afraid I've caught the bug - I've always loved restoring old stuff but had not discovered old audio stuff until now. My avatar is a car I bought in 1974 and recently restored...

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:03:48 PM »
My first project was rehabilitating my Technics SL-23 turntable. I was really dismayed a few years ago when I fired it up for the first time in many years and discovered it would no longer maintain a constant rotational speed. I thought it was junk. Thanks to the internet, and sites like this one, I discovered that they could be fixed.

Inspired, next came my Marantz 2226 receiver.  This proved to be less work than the turntable but more satisfying.

Right now, I'm restoring a pair of BIC Venturi Formula 1's that I've owned forever. Don't laugh, I know they're not TOTL but I've owned them as long as I've owned the TT and receiver and figured they would be a good learning experience. I'm having the woofers reconed while I replace the cheesy vinyl woodgrain veneer with real walnut veneer (I like woodworking, too)

I'm afraid I've caught the bug - I've always loved restoring old stuff but had not discovered old audio stuff until now. My avatar is a car I bought in 1974 and recently restored...

Great projects. I’ve always admired the talent of restorers. The BIC name sure is familiar and brings back some memories. Good luck on that one. Feel free to post pics on these projects.
My only question is why would you want to replace that beautiful cheesy vinyl wood grain veneer???
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline LakeEffect

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »
My only question is why would you want to replace that beautiful cheesy vinyl wood grain veneer???

Obviously a glutton for punishment and and a fan of undertaking totally unnecessary work. :?

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »

Obviously a glutton for punishment and and a fan of undertaking totally unnecessary work. :?
Yeah, maybe.  I find that the totally unnecessary work is the most gratifying intellectually as well as spiritually. 

Love the 'Stang!   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline LakeEffect

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
Yeah, maybe.  I find that the totally unnecessary work is the most gratifying intellectually as well as spiritually. 

Love the 'Stang!   :thumb:

Very well said. I couldn't agree more. And thanks, the Mustang is a case in point.