Author Topic: smart homes and the Nest E thermostat  (Read 169 times)

Offline Nick B

• Administrator
  • Audio Neurotic
smart homes and the Nest E thermostat
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
I was reading another thread this morning about AC and appliance noise. I recently bought a replacement thermostat for my home and the Nest E is an amazing product. It connects via wifi which tells me the outside temperature and humidity, allows me to adjust it from my iPad, has a learning mode, turns on the display when I approach and is completely programmable. So when I listen to music, Iíll be able to adjust the temperature so the heating/cooling units are turned off.

I did numerous searches and finally found the particular unit for $169. The other Nest units are over $200 and surprisingly Amazon didnít carry it although they now offer a two pack.

This is my first venture into the realm of smart homes and my wife and I really enjoy the convenience.
Does anyone have any smart home type products and are they worth the money for what they do?
Nick

McCormack DNA 1.0 Gold amp
KEF LS 50 speakers
Antelope Audio Gold dac
Auralic Aries Mini - Tidal
Roon Labs (upsampling to 24/192
Don Sachs phono
Basis Ovation turntable
Graham 1.5 T tonearm
AT-ML150 cartridge
PI Audio Uber
All cables by Gary A

Offline ejk

• Certifiable
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
Re: smart homes and the Nest E thermostat
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »
I use the Emerson Sensi thermostat, pretty much the same idea as the Nest. I can control it through my phone and tablets and of course my Amazon Dot. I also just added wifi outlets for a few lamps amd again can be controlled by the Amazon Dot or phone

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: smart homes and the Nest E thermostat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:23:15 AM »
I've been using z-wave to control lighting and thermostats for ages now - probably over 10 years.   A few years ago we added a home security system that has built-in z-wave support so the software that controls my security system also controls my thermostats and many lights throughout my house - inside and outside.   It can also control cameras, door locks, and likely anything else electrical.   Slick stuff.   I have not (yet) looked at more modern smarthome systems, but I have to say I've  been quite spoiled by it.

I will say that I DON'T do is hook it up to any of my audio system although I have no idea if it would negatively affect anything.