Author Topic: NOS dacs  (Read 2137 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
NOS dacs
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:21:54 AM »
Quite a while back I tried a nos dac and was really impressed and somewhat leery of what I was hearing. The sound was incredibly smooth almost to the point of syrupey but still had great detail. I wasn't sure if it would be something I could listen to in the long run and was more than I wanted to spend. I put that urge to the back of my mind thinking it would take major bucks to go that route.
Reading the Redbook Upsample or not has me wondering (again) about these dacs. Questions I have are:
1. which manufacturers would you suggest and
2. what price point starts to get a decent one.
3. would additional equipment be required to go with the dac (reclocker, jitter, ect)
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: NOS dacs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
In addition to previous would be:
4. Can the unit be used with computer only or can I also use it with a cd transport
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: NOS dacs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:00:53 AM »
  Most if not all NOS DAC's do not support USB. No worry though a dedicated 44.1 transport [ not used DVd or Cd player ] will make a notable difference.
Look at Promithius, EAD, Sonic Frontiers. No upsampling just 44.1 baby. If you want to play with a Promithius DAC let me know. NOS Analog chip transformer coupled.
For no chip at all which I think you should investigate [ R2R ladder DAC] I can help there as well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.