Author Topic: So many choices in digital help!!  (Read 6046 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: So many choices in digital help!!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
Choice made: Lumin D1. A very sincere thanks to Shadowlight for assisting me with the setup of my NAS and transferring of my music files.
Only had a couple of hours to play with it so far. Had a buzzing sound initially and left the unit powered on overnight, came back the next morning all is quiet. Played some tunes and sound is pretty good from a quick assessment (but have not compared to my Burson Conductor DAC) so far seems very quiet (blacker background) fuller bass but not quite as defined, goos soundstage but seems a hair lass detail. no obvious glaring errors. This weekend i hope to compare with my Burson. Stay tuned :)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 06:24:02 AM »
Congrats!

Does the Lumin allow you to select among the various filtering options of the Wolfson WM8741?
If so try that out - you can get significant differences between them. 

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 07:25:39 AM »
there is a settings section that allows customization. I am still on Lumin 101  :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »
having some noise issues grrrrrr

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 03:40:18 AM »
Ok so i spent some time last night it is definitely the Lumin generating the noise. I suspect the cheap power supply.when i moved the walwart to a different ac circuit it got  better but not perfect.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
Been working at this noise thing and have it down to "normal" meaning there is some residual but very low. I now have a linear power supply driving the Lumin. I would classify the difference as when you listen to your music at night when all the electrical hash is at a minimum.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »
Jim with all that good gear you use , wall warts ???? C'mon Man.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 05:50:53 AM »
Jim with all that good gear you use , wall warts ???? C'mon Man.

charles

I dont WANT wall warts, thats what came with it. Once I found out the voltage I bought a high quality/laboratory grade LPS. Sounds better.I finally found out why the system was sound like doo doo, it was preamp tubes. They must be spent. I plugged in some RCA's and the sound improved but one channel does have noise so I have to isolate that tube. ughh

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
After lots of hours I have finally returned my system to sounding really good. I found I had CBS Hytron tubes that had degraded. I returned to my RCA Grey Glass. Sounds stunning!!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
Just in time for long winter's night of listening to tunes!  :thumb: